theMusicMan

Options for best 1st purchase of Raspberry Pi et al

Tue May 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi All

So, I ventured into MicroControllers only a few short months ago when I decided to purchase an Arduino (sorry folks!!)... then another Arduino Pro-mini... then an ESP8266 and finally, I also have an ESP32 on its way. But... I have become extremely intrigued by the Raspberry Pi3 and now want a foray into this, too.

When I first purchased the Arduino, I jumped in by purchasing a starter kit - and very soon realised that I ought not to have done that as I could have bought a range of more suitable items. Sure, the starter kit was full of the basics for an introduction to micro controlers, but I don't really need to buy another 'starter kit' per sé.

So, my question to you folk here is what do you suggest I purchase as a kick off purchase re the Raspberry Pi. Do I need to buy just the Pi, or are there other items I will most certainly need in order to get started such as OS loaded SD cards, or header cables etc? I will research on YouTube etc, but I quite enjoy using forums, hence asking here too!

Hoping for some keen suggestions... thanks all
John

allfox

Re: Options for best 1st purchase of Raspberry Pi et al

Wed May 24, 2017 7:15 am

Greetings.

I think a Pi, a power supply and a micro SD card is the minimum. There is the official power supply.

Other things depend on what are you going to do. I think use an ethernet cable connecting the Pi to a computer and boot them up could be the first step in the adventure.

B.Goode

Wed May 24, 2017 7:53 am

The "Get Started with Raspberry Pi" link on this Raspberry Pi Foundation website is probably an accurate and reliable guide -
https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/

BMS Doug

Wed May 24, 2017 8:13 am

theMusicMan wrote:Hi All

So, I ventured into MicroControllers only a few short months ago when I decided to purchase an Arduino (sorry folks!!)... then another Arduino Pro-mini... then an ESP8266 and finally, I also have an ESP32 on its way. But... I have become extremely intrigued by the Raspberry Pi3 and now want a foray into this, too.

When I first purchased the Arduino, I jumped in by purchasing a starter kit - and very soon realised that I ought not to have done that as I could have bought a range of more suitable items. Sure, the starter kit was full of the basics for an introduction to micro controlers, but I don't really need to buy another 'starter kit' per sé.

So, my question to you folk here is what do you suggest I purchase as a kick off purchase re the Raspberry Pi. Do I need to buy just the Pi, or are there other items I will most certainly need in order to get started such as OS loaded SD cards, or header cables etc? I will research on YouTube etc, but I quite enjoy using forums, hence asking here too!

Hoping for some keen suggestions... thanks all
John
I would suggest making sure that you have 2 - 3 SD cards that you can load with images and swap out as desired. You won't need pre-loaded OS, just download the OSes you want to use yourself.

A decent power supply is a must, especially if you are planning to use peripherals. Some cheap phone charger won't cut it, a decent high end smart phone / tablet charger probably would be fine.

Have a look at Alex Eames excellent Raspio Duino guides, they cover stuff like programming an arduino from a raspberry Pi and Interfacing the Arduino and Pi together (all based around his ad on board but it isn't necessary to use his board to use the tutorials, they will work with any arduino.

If you don't have a spare HDMI cable, USB Mouse and USB keyboard then those would also be useful but not necessarily essential.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Return to “General discussion”