anione

Using Raspberry pi connected to a picamera in the freezer

Sat May 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Hey there, I have a slightly strange question related to putting a Raspberry Pi in a very cold environment (my freezer) and how to protect it from damages.

I am working on an art project and want to make a short animation that shows the freezing process of some liquids. I have a Raspberry Pi connected to a picamera ready to shoot a time lapse inside my freezer so I want to make sure that I take the necessary measurements to prevent it from being damaged or broken. I don't have a case for it and I am not able to buy one at the moment so I will have to make one myself.

So basically I would appreciate any tips on how/what material to use in order to isolate it completely from the environment and still be able to use the camera ( I also have a lisiparoi flash attached to the camera) ?

Thanks!
Ani

TimG

Re: Using Raspberry pi connected to a picamera in the freeze

Sun May 21, 2017 11:22 am

Insulation is probably useless if you have to cut a hole in it for the camera. Moisture from warmer air in the well protected areas will freeze on the less-well protected areas - ie. the camera lens.

Put your setup in the fridge before and after putting it in the freezer. This will allow it to cool and warm more slowly. After the experiment leave your Pi in a warm dry place for at least a day.

Pay attention to your power cables. Make sure no air can get through the door seal, or you'll cover everything with a fresh layer of frost. I suggest splicing a short length of very thin wires into the power cable. Put the wires at the top of the door to reduce convection. Avoid data cables completely.

Gavinmc42

Sun May 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Get a long camera extension cable, Adafruit etc have 1 and 2m flat flex cable.
Pi on the outside, Pi camera on the inside, the flat flex can be taped down near the door seals.
You may need to put it in insulated box, will it make enough heat to stop lens fogging?
At least you will find out if the light goes off
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

daveake

Sun May 21, 2017 9:39 pm

I agree with the long cable, so camera is inside and everything else outside.

A freezer won't get anywhere near as cold as the cameras on my Pi high-altitude balloon flights have gotten, and those have been fine.

Dave

Return to “General discussion”