RandomFather

Touchscreen driver issues.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:01 am

I purchased a Quimat 3.5" touchscreen for my daughter's school project. I am attempting to set up her card before she does the final assembly herself. I have built a test rig at home, which is operational (Pixel Raspbian) and I am using to post this from.

When using the command line to add the driver from the github, per the instructions, the entire process goes like it is working, but upon reboot I have a kernal error and I have to wipe and reinstall. When attempting to load it from the card after manually adding it, I am told that the file/directory doesn't exist.

Am I missing something? Is there a better driver/source? I am not fluent in Linux and the command line by any stretch of the imagination, however I am a wee bit more savvy than a ten year old.

Thanks in advance.

RaTTuS

Re: Touchscreen driver issues.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:04 am

post links to what you are following
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

CarlRJ

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:54 pm

Screens that attach directly to the top of the Pi can be a little tricky/fiddly to get working, since they're not connecting via a standard video interface like HDMI. There are a surprising number of such screens, and some companies have great documentation, while others, not so much - I've not heard of Quimat before. Can't be certain from the listings I see on Amazon which exact one you may have, and their general message was "you should install our copy of Raspbian Jessie and we can give you instructions if you email us", which makes it kind of difficult for folks without that particular board to help.

Some of the plugs-directly-on-top displays can make use of drivers already built into the OS, some need an extra driver, and some "need" a customized version of the OS. If a manufacturer provides a customized version of the OS, that could be simply to make things easy for new users, or it could be because their board needs a hacked up (sort of jury-rigged) OS to work at all. (In general, it's much better to end up with the board running a special driver on top of a non-custom copy of Raspbian, because that makes it much easier to upgrade the OS in the future - you're not stuck waiting for the screen manufacturer to update their image.) I can't tell from what I've seen (listings which may or may not be the board you have and which don't directly point to any manufacturer website) which of these scenarios might hold true here. It would help if you provided a link to the exact board you purchased and any sites they've directed you to for drivers. It would also help to know exactly what kernel error message you're getting.

Googling for "Quimat" leads to a website for "Kuman". I don't know what the connection is between the two, or if there is one. There's a display there that looks like the one in question, and that has a link for downloads which leads to another site that appears to have a full set of drivers. But, again, I can't tell if this is what you have.

RandomFather

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:34 am

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W5 ... UTF8&psc=1 is what I bought, it came with a case and screen.

It came with a DVD only, nothing written. Putting the case together was a simple puzzle.

On the disk it had a driver and some instructions as well as a few relevant programs.

It specifically directed me to this site to download the official image of Raspbian

The instructions directed me to make an SSH folder in the root of the card and then provided two options for installing the driver. One was to copy that driver from the disk to my card, the other was to get it online from Github.

"git clone https://github.com/goodtft/LCD-show.git
chmod -R 755 LCD-show
cd LCD-show/
sudo ./lcd35-show"

Using this method I get a kernal error after the expected reboot.

The second method which directs me to put the driver image on the card and then load from there inevitably tells me that the file or folder does not exist.

I hope this helps a little.

As it sits, I do not think the screen is going to be worthwhile for my daughter and her project, but I still think it might be useful to have a couple of them running around the house.

DougieLawson

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:47 am

Try downloading this version of plain Raspbian Jessie http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... jessie.zip

Do NOT run apt-get upgrade without holding the raspberrypi-bootloader and rapsberrypi-kernel packages so they won't get updated (because that will cause your failure).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

koop_g

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:02 am

any news on that ?

Skoal-Jay

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Hey,

i purchased the same lcd screen. And so far i just got it running with the provoded image of raspian jessy version. I upgraded it blindly and afterwards it crashed again. I will try the thing with the bootloader and such as well.

Anyway, my final goal is it to get it run within my retropie setup. But since i run into kernel paniks with any other provided option im kind of stuck.

Has anyone a suggestion how to get run with retropie 4.3 (pi 3)?

Thanks!

koop_g

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm

I found a way
it was long ago, and I am away from the system.
to get you further I will tell you what i remember from my head and you maybe can nail the search before I would have my pi in front of me. :D

the problem lays in your /boot/config.txt
you have an unwanted overlay in there

the driver way of doing stuff is adding this line which works on jessie
what you need is simple remove this overlay (I DON'T REMMBER THE NAME)

and walla !! you would have stretch with lcd
:ugeek: :geek: :D

ok so ONE MORE THING : don't push the RED button !!
seriously... if you config the hdmi/lcd
then expect getting this again every time you LCDSHOW-35 or what ever the command is
if that is your case
go to LCDSHOW dir and locate the files which the driver script copy each mode config file and change it from the source
that way every time you switch the driver will pass the write values to stretch

NOW
please don't take this for granted but I think this is the only change that the driver is pushing to this file
so after you validate this just remove this from from the .sh script YOU ARE BETTER OFF with drivers that rewrite and messing with your config !

I will get beck if you don't find it in the weekend
good luck

p.s
its working great so don't drop the project

darkekun

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:09 am

I'm having a similar issue with a similar touchscreen and it is infuriating me. Here is the screen I got.

https://www.amazon.com/Quimat-Raspberry ... 1522738169

So I installed the latest raspian from NOOBS and the touchscreen display works right away. Turning on SPI enables the touch function. It is automatically set to landscape mode. At this point I haven't needed to install anything additional.

The problem is that the touch function have the axis rotated and inverted. I've tried everything I could find to make the cursor correspond to the touch movement. I've tried configuring Xinput. I've tried putting swapxy=1 into /boot/config.txt via nano. I've tried lcd_rotate=1 in /boot/config.txt via nano. Installing drivers or running the install script that came with the screen just makes it so that raspian doesn't boot up, but just hangs in startup. Apparently these screens are not supported by FBTURBO.

If I could get the touch axis rotated 90 degrees and invert the resulting left and right, all would be well. It displays fine its just that the touch is stuck doing that up=right, down=left, right=up, left=down thing and nothing changes that. There's gotta be a simple way to make that happen.

Return to “General discussion”