Bleugh

Spectrum Next Pi Zero on kickstarter and Pi Zero

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:14 am

Morning All,
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum / channel,
long time Pi user (one of the first 10,000!!) and own every type released to date (except the zero-w!)

I'm in no way related to the recent kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ctrum-next

Part of that project allows the classic old computer in the FPGA can link to a raspberry Pi Zero!
is there any chance of being able to get a quantity of those zeros? or even zero-w?

Have a chat with the creators, it's a superb British built product, already exists, mostly developed too

Thanks Guys

Dean

fruitoftheloom

Re: Spectrum Next Pi Zero on kickstarter and Pi Zero

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:49 am

Bleugh wrote:Morning All,
Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum / channel,
long time Pi user (one of the first 10,000!!) and own every type released to date (except the zero-w!)

I'm in no way related to the recent kickstarter at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ctrum-next

Part of that project allows the classic old computer in the FPGA can link to a raspberry Pi Zero!
is there any chance of being able to get a quantity of those zeros? or even zero-w?

Have a chat with the creators, it's a superb British built product, already exists, mostly developed too

Thanks Guys

Dean
If you want a large quantity then a community forum is the last place to ask.

You need to contact Raspberry Pi Trading who are responsible for the ZERO range.

Though for a Commercial Product the CM3 is advised due to long term availability of the Form Factor.
Retired disgracefully.....

CarlRJ

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm

A quick look at the Kickstarter page shows: 1) they've included a spot to plug in a Pi Zero, it's not a part of the basic unit; 2) the only offer from them that included them supplying a Pi Zero was if you backed at the £230 (about $294) level; 3) that backing level was limited to a maximum of 100 backers (all sold out now); oh, and, 4) that backing level got you "All the features of the Plus version, plus a Pi Zero", and that "Plus version" is £215 (about $275), so the added charge to include a Pi Zero was £15 ($19).

They may have worked some sort of deal to get 100 Pi Zero's direct from RPT, but for £15 each, given that a Pi Zero plus shipping runs about £9 (UK to US, local is likely cheaper), they could have simply had a handful of staff/friends order them (5 people each ordering a Pi Zero from each of 5 distributors, wait a few days and rinse/repeat - collecting one hundred doesn't take too long). I'm guessing the latter, and the 100 backer limit was simply to avoid logistical headaches and delays.

Bleugh

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:56 pm

It's only supply issues that made the 100 limit, if there hadnt been a limit, every one produced would probably have had one!!

The demand for a ready fitted pi zero is huge, if they could get 500 zeros, they'd sell 500 nexts with zeros fitted!

Also, you're forgetting the microSd card needed, 40 pin connector and suitable cable, as well as probably an HDMI dongle! And programming and fitting! The upgraded pledge is therefore good value!

Just imagine, firing up spectrum basic and doing a quick 'call' to the pi's fast cpu!! Can't wait to see if someone runs Doom on the spectrum :-)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Bleugh wrote:It's only supply issues that made the 100 limit, if there hadnt been a limit, every one produced would probably have had one!!

The demand for a ready fitted pi zero is huge, if they could get 500 zeros, they'd sell 500 nexts with zeros fitted!

Also, you're forgetting the microSd card needed, 40 pin connector and suitable cable, as well as probably an HDMI dongle! And programming and fitting! The upgraded pledge is therefore good value!

Just imagine, firing up spectrum basic and doing a quick 'call' to the pi's fast cpu!! Can't wait to see if someone runs Doom on the spectrum :-)
Still would of been better to use a CM as the form factor is guaranteed for several years.

What happens if RPT bring out a new Zero in 2018 in a differing form factor ??

Like many KickStarter projects look good today but when receive the product in 12 months time realise the goal posts have been moved..

stderr

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Bleugh wrote:It's only supply issues that made the 100 limit, if there hadnt been a limit, every one produced would probably have had one!!
You know all this yet you assure us you have nothing to do with the Kickstarter? I'm sceptical.

Bleugh

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:44 am

I'm just a really (probably overly) enthusiastic backer at the £215 level. All the information I've posted is in the public facebook group, just consolidated a bit for you guys in the hope that someone may pick up on it and give the thumbs up to a disty to release a block of 100 or more

They've been really open and communicative about the project for a long time prior to the kickstarter and continue to be so after the launch!!

Heater

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:06 am

fruitoftheloom,
Like many KickStarter projects look good today but when receive the product in 12 months time realise the goal posts have been moved..
I hope you understand that when you back a Kickstarter project you are not buying a product. You are backing a venture. You are speculating. Some would call it gambling.

As such it's up to you to do some research before laying down the cash. Who are these guys? What is their track record? Is what they want to do even sensibly possible?

Like all ventures a lot of Kickstarter ventures fail too.

As such I think your statement is painting this Spectrum project with too broad a brush.

The guys involved are very skilled and dedicated and have been working on this for a long time. I totally trust that they can pull it off.

All of the Kickstarter projects I have backed so far have come to fruition on time or soon after. This may be an exception but I'm willing to take that chance.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

scotty101

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:56 am

I'm staying away from crowd funding, especially those with the curse of the Spectrum.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... ayed-again
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:32 am

Heater wrote:fruitoftheloom,
I hope you understand that when you back a Kickstarter project you are not buying a product. You are backing a venture. You are speculating. Some would call it gambling.

As such it's up to you to do some research before laying down the cash. Who are these guys? What is their track record? Is what they want to do even sensibly possible?

Like all ventures a lot of Kickstarter ventures fail too.

As such I think your statement is painting this Spectrum project with too broad a brush.

The guys involved are very skilled and dedicated and have been working on this for a long time. I totally trust that they can pull it off.

All of the Kickstarter projects I have backed so far have come to fruition on time or soon after. This may be an exception but I'm willing to take that chance.
I hope that people with ideas can make a successful product, but using a ZERO is in my opinion a dead end road, that is all I was trying to convey ;)

Return to “General discussion”