jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: $35 RasPi vs $50 tablet ?

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Piw32 wrote:This is insane, why prices a going so low ?

7 inch tablet for 25€ or $31 : http://micdigi.com/2012/06/the-7-inch-t ... y-199-rmb/
The Amlogic 8726 has some Linux support.
The 7-inch tablet based on Amlogic sells for only 199 RMB.
Configurations: Amlogic 8726 solution, 512M memory, 4G storage, 7-inch resistive screen with 800×480 resolution, two-point touch, without camera, 1080P video decode, Mali400 GPU.
I've wondered how they can make then so cheaply. It really is extraordinary.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

AndrewS

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Is it possible that in such an oversaturated market they're being sold at below cost? I'm not familiar with the politics/economics of consumer electronics :|

Piw32

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:54 am

Factories starts production only when they have a sale contract. Maybe it is a cancelled order and they need some cash.
But also VIA8850 is coming and will start a price war against Alwinner A10, so low prices are here to stay !

reiuyi

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:49 pm

A while back I actually purchased one of those cheap entry-level tablets. I already have an arduino and a raspberry pi. They all fill in their very own niche. I mean, an arduino has IO potential, but no screen, limited processing power and limited storage. Raspi has loads of processing power, IO capabilities, storage and the easy possibility of a screen. The entry-level tablet has a quite nice screen, no IO at all and for the rest it's quite similar to raspi in its gpu acceleration (plays games, hd video, etc etc).

How is raspi then different from an entry-level tablet? I wouldn't dare fiddling around too much with an appliance such as a tablet. The raspi is surely unbrickable and it certainly cost me a lot less. IOs are not the main objective of raspberry pi, though they are a big attraction point. I like the look and feel of raspberry pi; a seemingly indestructible device which will crunch through any stupid inefficient code I could think of to do seemingly mundane tasks.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:20 am

I firmly believe that we can all thank the Foundation and volunteers who developed the hardware and included software for this plummeting of prices. I can barely imagine the shock even in Chinese offices of consumer electronics firms when hundreds of thousands of people all attempted to buy Raspberry Pi boards at the same moment in time on February 29th. The finance people had to drop their foreheads to their desks in dismay, if they weren't already there based on the continued ratcheting down of prices for all manner of consumer electronic items that has been going on for years.

The fact that the Pi is a board without a case doesn't seem to have registered with the low-end tablet makers - they seem to be working to undercut even a single-board computer with their complete tablets. Never mind the fact that their products somehow manage to be even more difficult to operate than a Pi board with no I/O (hmmm, so that's how they're doing it! :) ) and that it's up to the buyers to form a community to ferret out how to make the darned things do anything even marginally useful, much less all that a Pi can do.

Given all of this, it's fascinating to watch Microsloth squirming at the other extreme of the tablet wars, introducing one that can't run any of their desktop/laptop or older phone software (the Surface for Windoze RT - I mean, seriously, who names their stuff?). At the same time, they announced an undoubtedly as-expensive-as-a-laptop model (the Surface Pro for WIndows 8) that can run their older desktop/laptop software, but, is too heavy, complicated, and expensive to compete in volume with the gold-standard iPad. Not a single computing industry analyst (save for the usual suspects on MS's payroll) thinks they're going to actually sell the Pro in any significant numbers, including the faithful who will buy anything the company produces. The fact that they wouldn't allow a single journalist to type even a single word on the keyboard/cover, and that the RT prototype crashed in the hands of the top product manager during the demo, says that these aren't even alpha units, yet.

The ancient Chinese blessing/curse has finally come to pass - we truly do live in "interesting" times!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Piw32

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Another cheap tablet : http://micdigi.com/2012/07/the-7-inch-t ... r-259-rmb/ 33€

If you want plenty of IOs, you can buy a IOIO board at Sparkfun. You can write programs in Java on your Android device to control the IO pins. It seems there is some Python port in the works, if you dislike Java...

Piw32

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 am

http://micdigi.com/2012/07/the-7-inch-t ... r-199-rmb/
this is an older resistive model with only 256mb, but can play 1080 movies, only $31 US !

jerrylamos

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:28 am

Well I've got a couple or three tablets which for me are O.K. sort of for output - however - as soon as I read a BBC or NYTimes article I want to comment which at my level of experience is a bear for 500 words or so from a tablet. So the tablets are getting dusty while I use an Acer Aspire netbook with a 15.5" TV external monitor and a Verbatim keyboard/mouse and an external USB hard drive. So I'm ready to put the RasPi in place of the netbook depending on how responsive it is for the internet browsing I do. I use Ubuntu/Firefox, occasionally Opera and Midori/flash runs fine on SliTaz. I'm never sure which of the distro's will be around for a while.

Jerry

Return to “General discussion”