startrek.steve

Re: Is a PI 3 a viable desktop replacement?

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:53 pm

If youre a Thunderbird fan (Like me) theres a version for the Pi. Its called Icedove, it runs on my Pi 3 just fine.
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

cspan

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:36 pm

startrek.steve wrote:If youre a Thunderbird fan (Like me) theres a version for the Pi. Its called Icedove, it runs on my Pi 3 just fine.
I am ... however, I had read that it tended to crash often. Do you know why your experience may be better than others?

Maybe I should try it myself. It would be much more convenient, since I already use Thunderbird and Lightning, to use Icedove and Iceowl. I was prepared to use Claws, which is said to be very "lightweight", in keeping with the spirit (and optimal performance) of the Pi. Tiny computer, meet tiny email client ... that sort of thing. But yeah, if the Pi can handle Icedove just fine, that would suit me too!

buja

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Icedove is not a special Pi version of Thunderbird, it's a special Debian (and therefor Raspbian) version of Thunderbird to resolve some licensing issues.
However, these licensing issues have been solved, so Debian and Raspbian can use the standard Thunderbird version again.
If you update (sudo apt-get update / sudo apt-get upgrade) you will see that Icedove is replaced by Thunderbird.

In exactly the same way Firefox was rebranded as Iceweasel for Debian, but now it's back to Firefox again.

cspan

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:57 pm

scruss wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:13 pm
KeePassX works well for me on a Raspberry Pi 3, but not KeePassX 2. It's written in Mono, takes a very long time to start up, then it immediately crashes.
Just an update ... on Raspbian Stretch, as well as the corresponding update to RPD x86, Keepass2 works out of the box. Mono installation and tweaking is no longer necessary.

Also, as implied by the Stretch release announcement, installing batmon is no longer necessary for monitoring a laptop's % of battery left. It's baked in to the GUI desktop as an icon in the upper right corner.

nes_pi

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 am

I know this is an old topic but i want to bring it up for the sake of the pi 3b+.

I have it running at 1440p @ 30hz, turbo mode off, and 350-400mb dedicated to the GPU. I have a Samsung evo+ card as it's rated fastest for random read/writes.

I am not sure why dillo is preinstalled but not available to the user by default. I went to install it and found it was already installed. It was in Main Menu Editor, but was disabled. this is a GREAT browser for the pi, considering you can load nearly any "fat" site and keep your pi cpu usage under 10%.... surprised this is not pushed harder actually as a browser for pi users

in fact lately i only open vivaldi when i have a page that doesn't work properly in dillo, pages with tons of dependencies that take a while to load on vivaldi or chrash chromium load very quickly on dillo and as i said, use very very little cpu. I only get to really high enough load that the pi lags out when i try to load a heavy page. I have even streamed twitch at 480p, had a few other browser tabs open and a few terminals doing ssh with no issue

I'm looking into running it off a usb hdd or ssd. Is anyone doing this? Is the sd card just used for the boot files at that point?

DirkS

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:03 am

nes_pi wrote:
I'm looking into running it off a usb hdd or ssd. Is anyone doing this? Is the sd card just used for the boot files at that point?
You don't need an SD card to run a 3B(+) off an USB drive

nes_pi

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:36 am

DirkS wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:03 am
nes_pi wrote:
You don't need an SD card to run a 3B(+) off an USB drive
Yup i just realized this, i found the usb boot thread stickied and cloned my sd card to a spare ssd. Working great, no sd in the pi!

HawaiianPi

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 pm

nes_pi wrote:
I know this is an old topic but i want to bring it up for the sake of the pi 3b+.

I have it running at 1440p @ 30hz, turbo mode off, and 350-400mb dedicated to the GPU. I have a Samsung evo+ card as it's rated fastest for random read/writes.
Not any more. The new "A1" rated micro SD cards are better optimized for random I/O, and in my testing with the SanDisk Ultra and Ultra Plus A1 cards I found they were faster than the Samsung EVO+ cards (cheaper, too)! The EVO+ is still a good performer, but no longer the best.

nes_pi wrote:
I have a couple of Pi computers running from SSD. The Pi3B and 3B+ can boot purely from USB with no SD card. Although the Pi3B does need to be booted from an SD card at least once, to enable the USB boot feature (which is enabled by default on the newer Pi3B+).

Pi3B in a JBtek case with an ELUTENG SATA3-USB3 adapter cable and a Silicon Power 128GB model A55 SSD.
I replaced the top of my JBtek case with the 2.5 inch SSD.

Pi3B+ in a Flirc Gen2 case with a 128GB SuperBoot2 mSATA SSD in a tiny ELUTENG USB3 mSATA enclosure.

Performance seems a bit better than my 32GB & 64GB A1 rated micro SD cards, and the Silicon Power SSD cost a little less than a 128GB A1 micro SD card. Note that the performance difference is pretty subtle compared to a good A1 rated micro SD card (limited by USB 2.0), but subjectively it does feel faster.

Both systems can cold boot and reboot reliably from SSD with no SD card (although I use an empty SD card to reduce the boot delay).

If your storage needs are modest (64GB or less) I'd recommend A1 rated micro SD cards. The 32GB SanDisk Ultra A1 cards offer a great value in price, performance and capacity. If your storage needs are greater, then running your Pi3B(+) from an SSD is a viable option, with 128GB SSD prices comparable to A1 rated micro SD cards, and in larger capacities the SSD can be much cheaper.

Of course if you need gobs of storage, then the good ol' mechanical hard drive is still the king of price-per-GB, but getting your Pi to boot from HDD can be problematic (power requirements and slow spin-up times are common issues). It works for some, but not for others. I have successfully booted my Pi3B from an old WD 500GB laptop hard drive using the official RPF PSU and the ELUTENG adapter cable.

Do note that the Pi3B boot loader is not compatible with all USB drives. Many will work fine, some will partially work (cold boot, but not reboot) and others just may not work at all (requiring you to use an SD card to start the boot process). The boot loader in the newer 3B+ is supposed to have improved compatibility.

I have a few other USB SATA adapters I have tried. One from a seller named Grandey cost me only $5.75 and works great with both of the SSD models above, but did have some trouble with a 500GB Samsung EVO850 SSD. Another one from Sabrent worked great for me as well, and it even has an activity LED, but it has a long USB3 cable, and I prefer the shorter cable of the ELUTENG adapter for use with the Pi (less desk clutter).

As far as a Pi as a desktop replacement goes, my opinion hasn't changed. Even the new 3B+ model is just too slow to use as a primary computer (great for lots of other things, though).
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

logitech_ic

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:35 am

Kindly help me. If anybody already have Pi3B+ update on this task.

Generally I planning to buy this Pi3B+ as a gift for my sister who is studying in grade 12.

She need a computer for browsing and watch YouTube video / she does not have a TV at home. So, using this raspberry can she watch the live online video or movie or local social media programmers like start movie, HBO or Indian TV channels? Kindly update me in my email [Mod: deleted email address to stop spamming - please reply here.]

HawaiianPi

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 am

logitech_ic wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:35 am
Kindly help me. If anybody already have Pi3B+ update on this task.

Generally I planning to buy this Pi3B+ as a gift for my sister who is studying in grade 12.

She need a computer for browsing and watch YouTube video / she does not have a TV at home. So, using this raspberry can she watch the live online video or movie or local social media programmers like start movie, HBO or Indian TV channels? Kindly update me in my email [Mod: deleted email address to stop spamming - please reply here.]
I doubt your sister would find the Pi a workable solution. Youtube might be okay, but other services may not perform well, or might not work at all (DRM). Web browsing in general is slow on the Pi (often painfully slow with frequent system freezes).

I would assume your sister already has a computer for school, and that would certainly work better than a Pi for the uses you specified (even an inexpensive Chromebook should outperform a Pi for online streaming).
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

k-pi

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:17 pm

As above, the RPi is not a good solution for watching videos, Youtube is very slow, if it will work at all.

Do her a favour, buy her a pre used laptop, preferably one with 2GB ram minimum, it will work much better for online & watching videos.
(Of course, put Linux on it, MS Windows would be too slow. :) )

Return to “General discussion”