Doktor_KlingeL

Wlan Dongle for Raspberry Pi2 B - Which one should I use?

Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Hey guys!

I have found my old Raspberry Pi 2 B and wanted to use it as a mediacenter.
I installed OSMC and got it working on my TV without problems.
Sadly my Wlan-Dongle which I am using for other devices is not supported.
Which one should I buy if I want to stream full HD videos?
There is a list with all supported Wlan-Adapters but I cant decide which to choose.

Thanks all!

NEOhioPi

Re: Wlan Dongle for Raspberry Pi2 B - Which one should I use

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:07 pm

After using an Edimax, PiHut generic, and Element 14 Wi-Pi dongle with a Pi 1, 2 & Zero, I prefer the Wi-Pi. It appears to be the most sensitive. All work without any apparent problems on the Pihub.

CarlRJ

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:36 pm

For a long time the most widely recommended WiFi dongle for the Pi was the Edimax EW-7811Un. It's cheap, it works well, and doesn't need drivers (though you'll want to put "options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0" in /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf, to tame the chip's overenthusiastic powersaving/sleep mode; more info here).

The official Raspberry Pi USB WiFi Dongle is also very good, needs no setup, and is what the folks who created the Pi use.

I've not seen the Element 14 Wi-Pi that NEOhioPi recommends before - it looks pretty impressive (took a minute to talk myself out of ordering one "just to test" - I have plenty already).

I don't see much reason to look beyond these three for most normal uses.

alphanumeric

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:12 pm

I've been using these, https://www.adafruit.com/products/1030 Plug and play in Raspbian. I haven't done any testing with them, but I have no complaints. I take one PI out on my deck in the summer and it works fine. Router is in my basement behind a cement wall.

solar3000

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:47 am

I also use the EDIMAX
Antikythera

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:24 am

One of my 2Bs uses https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... fi-adapter
The other uses https://redbear.cc/content/blog/pi-zero-iot-hat/ which also include BT.

Both of those are based on the Broadcomm/Cypress WiFi module used in the RPi3B & RPiZW so they "just work" reliably straight out of the box. No strange parms needed, no need to install funky drivers from Mr Engman.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

NickT

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:37 am

I've bought a few nano adapters via eBay. The search term I used was RTL8188CUS and a few sellers from the far east sold them for about £1.70. They all worked out of the box. The only snag with this cheap approach was the delivery time being over a week.

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:59 am

NickT wrote:I've bought a few nano adapters via eBay. The search term I used was RTL8188CUS and a few sellers from the far east sold them for about £1.70. They all worked out of the box. The only snag with this cheap approach was the delivery time being over a week.
The biggest problem I've got with the cheapo dongles is they stop working randomly. I've got a cron script that runs every six minutes to re-establish the connection. The notable difference with the systems using the Broadcom/Cypress WiFi is that they don't need that script. The hardware is better quality and the driver is better quality code.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Doktor_KlingeL

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 am

Hi there are two Wipi Element14 with different prices on amazon from the same seller.

https://www.amazon.de/DONGLE-WIFI-RASPB ... =element14

and

https://www.amazon.de/DONGLE-WIFI-RASPB ... =element14

One costs about 19 Euros and the other one 26 Euros. As I can see it is the same Product but why 2 same products with different pricing? Or are they different?

Otherwise I will buy the Edimax and see how it will work out for me. Thanks a lot guys!
:D

geoffr

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Doktor_KlingeL wrote:Hey guys!

I have found my old Raspberry Pi 2 B and wanted to use it as a mediacenter.
I installed OSMC and got it working on my TV without problems.
Sadly my Wlan-Dongle which I am using for other devices is not supported.
Which one should I buy if I want to stream full HD videos?
There is a list with all supported Wlan-Adapters but I cant decide which to choose.

Thanks all!
I have a couple of the official Raspberry Pi WiFi dongles, which tend to work quite well.
I have however, on Pi Zeros often had better results with an el cheapo adaptor that looks very similar to the Edimax one, which I buy from DealExtreme:
http://www.dx.com/p/ultra-mini-nano-usb ... LyQJ1V96po

Return to “General discussion”