alphanumeric

Pi (Zero) Comput Stick version.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:18 pm

I was looking at the WD Media Stick for raspberry Pi and got to thinking, a Pi Zero Media Stick would be cool. Put a male HDMI connector at one end and the Micro SD at the other end. Ditch the camera connector. So it plugs into the TV/monitor with no HDMI cable required. Or make it a little bigger than a Zero with the quad core processor and WIFI Bluetooth. I'd buy one in a flash to run KODI on. Just a though?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi (Zero) Comput Stick version.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:45 pm

But how much would you pay for it?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Heh... The originally released version of the Pi Zero didn't have a camera connector.

There is no evidence that the RPF is at all likely to design something as special purpose as a media stick. Ask yourself this: In what way would such a device advance the RPF's educational purpose? Consider this especially in the light of the WD CM based media stick.

daveake

Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:55 pm

My thought is: buy an Amazon Fire stick and put Kodi on it.

alphanumeric

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Yes, it likely would never happen. Can't hurt to throw ideas out there though. ;)
If it was based on a PI Zero I would happily pay up to 20 bucks or more for one. 40 or more if it's based on a 3B. I've already spent thousands on my Raspberry Pi habit. And that's no exaggeration. Adding up all the bits and pieces, and odds and ends. Open Beam Stuff, breakout boards, sense hats, 7 inch display, keyboards etc.

alphanumeric

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:08 pm

daveake wrote:My thought is: buy an Amazon Fire stick and put Kodi on it.
I'm contemplating buying the WD Media Stick which used the Raspberry Pi compute module. That's what got me thinking of a dedicated version..

S0litaire

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:15 pm

can't you already to that?

Just find (or make!!) a Male mini HDMI to Male HDMI converter (don't think any exist without a few cm's of cable between each end!)

Job done ;)

lot easier than redesigning the Zero... ;)
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:17 pm

alphanumeric wrote:Yes, it likely would never happen. Can't hurt to throw ideas out there though. ;)
If it was based on a PI Zero I would happily pay up to 20 bucks or more for one. 40 or more if it's based on a 3B. I've already spent thousands on my Raspberry Pi habit. And that's no exaggeration. Adding up all the bits and pieces, and odds and ends. Open Beam Stuff, breakout boards, sense hats, 7 inch display, keyboards etc.
WD has tested the CM3 in their media stick. $25 for the WD unit plus $30 for a CM3. You're going to have to pay $55 for a "3B based" version.

alphanumeric

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:37 pm

I have a dedicated 3B running LibreElect/KODI now. I also have a mini HDMI to HDMI cable to use with a Zero. It's very long though.
It was just a thought, that if the RPF had a mind to make a compute stick, like what WD did. The Zero might be a good contender. Although underpowered maybe for KODI etc?

alphanumeric

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:38 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:Yes, it likely would never happen. Can't hurt to throw ideas out there though. ;)
WD has tested the CM3 in their media stick. $25 for the WD unit plus $30 for a CM3. You're going to have to pay $55 for a "3B based" version.
The WD stick is what got me started on this. I will likely go that route at some point.

jamesh

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Kodi runs fine the the Fire stick.

I think the Fire stick is a pretty good bit of kit.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mikerr

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:53 pm

alphanumeric wrote:The Zero might be a good contender. Although underpowered maybe for KODI etc?
The zero is a bit underpowered for kodi video, but can do mpeg2 in hardware if you buy the codec.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

6by9

Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:59 pm

jamesh wrote:
Kodi runs fine the the Fire stick.

I think the Fire stick is a pretty good bit of kit.
Now remind me which company made the chip inside that (the old model anyway)... :D
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

CarlRJ

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:07 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:There is no evidence that the RPF is at all likely to design something as special purpose as a media stick. Ask yourself this: In what way would such a device advance the RPF's educational purpose?
Agreed. The described device would be entertaining (literally as well as figuratively), but would not advance the RPF's goals. It would be slightly more cool for watching TV.

If you want to make a useful change to (a variant of) the Pi Zero, give it the 3B's on-board SDIO-based WiFi/BlueTooth (enlarging the board by however many square mm's necessary, and, of course, raising the price as needed). Then you'd have a one-piece device that could still fit in an extraordinarily small box while having network connectivity and an available USB port, needing only power and microSD. It'd be great for IoT tasks (including all sorts of student projects) beyond what an ESP8266 can accomplish.

alphanumeric

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:12 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:There is no evidence that the RPF is at all likely to design something as special purpose as a media stick. Ask yourself this: In what way would such a device advance the RPF's educational purpose?
Agreed. The described device would be entertaining (literally as well as figuratively), but would not advance the RPF's goals. It would be slightly more cool for watching TV.

If you want to make a useful change to (a variant of) the Pi Zero, give it the 3B's on-board SDIO-based WiFi/BlueTooth (enlarging the board by however many square mm's necessary, and, of course, raising the price as needed). Then you'd have a one-piece device that could still fit in an extraordinarily small box while having network connectivity and an available USB port, needing only power and microSD. It'd be great for IoT tasks (including all sorts of student projects) beyond what an ESP8266 can accomplish.
I agree, my post was more of a what if? I would trade onboard WIFI for the camera port in any month with a week in it.

The rumored 3A should be most of what your looking for, minus the small size part. I have two A+'s on the go here running headless. They mate better to the sense hat attached to them than a Zero does. The full size HDMI and one full sized USB port makes setup easier with stock cables too.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 pm

alphanumeric wrote: I agree, my post was more of a what if? I would trade onboard WIFI for the camera port in any month with a week in it.

The rumored 3A should be most of what your looking for, minus the small size part. I have two A+'s on the go here running headless. They mate better to the sense hat attached to them than a Zero does. The full size HDMI and one full sized USB port makes setup easier with stock cables too.
I'd put the Pi3A at something better than rumor. Dr. Upton *did* talk about it last Spring. The open question is...When? Especially now that the CM3 has launched. I am still holding out some hope that it will launch at the upcoming festivities.

alphanumeric

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:25 pm

I'll buy at least 2, to replace my A+ and A++. Assuming they have the same footprint as the current A+. They would be great for headless setups and be that same size as hats. More or less..

Return to “General discussion”