georgsimonohm

Poll: raspberry Pi enterprise usage

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi, for a university project i want to ask you some questions:
  • - What field of business do you use a raspberry pi in?
    - Why did you choose the raspi instead of an intel based computer?
    - Would you recommand it?
I hope this is the correct place to ask this kind of questions. Thank you very much in advance.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Poll: raspberry Pi enterprise usage

Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:34 pm

This is certainly the place to get a lot a Pi-related questions answered, but I don't think you'll have a lot of luck with those. Most companies using Pis as an embedded device don't talk about it. When you're selling something for hundreds to thousands of dollars, you really don't want to tell your customers that a crucial bit of it is $35 computer. Said customers might start questioning the price of the whole device.

To be kind to you I will provide the following:

I run convention registration for a regional (SF Bay Area) table-top gaming convention. I use Pis for volunteers to register people for the convention. I use up to 5 of them at a time. I picked the Pi because of cost. I cheerfully recommend Pis for this use.

Jednorozec

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Your questions don't make very much sense. I use an RPi in addition to an X86 box not instead of. There won't be many people here who wouldn't recommend a Pi.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

Heater

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:43 pm

I no longer work for the company that did this. And I don't want to say who and where they are but:

- What field of business do you use a raspberry pi in?

Public transport.

- Why did you choose the raspi instead of an intel based computer?

Price, size, support, all the required interfaces.

- Would you recommend it?

Yes. If it fits the intended application. Meets environmental requirements etc.

As noted above I don't think you will get many sensible responses.
Last edited by Heater on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:07 pm

OP - I'm Director of Communications here at Raspberry Pi, and we would *love* to be able to publicise more examples of enterprise usage. Unfortunately the vast, vast majority of organisations using Raspberry Pi do not want to make the fact common knowledge for a variety of reasons, competitive advantage being the main one. It's a shame; I'm aware of a very large number of very cool projects which I'd love us to be able to share. But if they're not willing to share with us, I think they're going to be vanishingly unlikely to share them with the forums. This stuff is high stakes - I am, sadly, aware of one person who lost his job after he shared what his organisation, a national postal service in Europe, was doing with the Raspberry Pi without getting permission from his bosses. It's the only blog post we've ever deleted after the fact.

FWIW, you might want to look through the Raspberry Pi blog for some examples we have been able to share.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

georgsimonohm

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:08 am

Thank you very much for your replies <3 I don't want anyone to loose their job!
My intention is to show that the raspberry pi is enterprise ready and not just a "maker toy". I'll also search the blog for interesting projects.

Gavinmc42

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 am

I use them at an University for many projects, hardly any the same.
They are low cost(very important) very reliable and have great support.
Some projects are secret for IP reasons, grant money can be very competitive.

But the University also uses them in teaching by the hundreds.
For teaching electronics and ICT coding they are cheaper than PC's.
Arduino's are ok for teaching but are not self hosting.

Application programming for one specific tasks has meant they were looked at to replace a bunch of mechanical gadgets in a Health Lab. Now they are under consideration to replace Lab laptops.
As the Pi's kept getting better we kept finding new uses for them.
The Pi 3 is now equal to old/cheap laptops/desktops.

Anything that used to have WinCE/XP embedded in it you may now find a Pi and Linux.
And that is a large number of manufacturers.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:47 am

georgsimonohm wrote:Thank you very much for your replies <3 I don't want anyone to loose their job!
My intention is to show that the raspberry pi is enterprise ready and not just a "maker toy". I'll also search the blog for interesting projects.
What makes you think it's a "maker toy". It's a small board Linux (or Win10IoT) computer which has lots of interfaces that are useful for industrial and commercial applications.

NEC pushed the point home by using the Compute Module 3 for their "smart" TVs.

I've done at least one industrial project using a couple of Raspberries.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:53 am

More on that application I mentioned.

The company involved traditionally built it's own hardware. Going back to controllers using 8 bit micros.

When this particular project came up the hardware department was asked estimate what it would cost for them to build it and how long in might take. Of course the development cost went into tens of thousand of Euro and the development time was out to one year. The unit cost of the finished item was approaching a thousand Euro.

Meanwhile guy a the local office grabbed a Pi, plugged in GPS and whatever else was required, wrote the software. Installed the thing. It works. The job was done before the estimate was made! And of course tens of times cheaper.

Morphology

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:32 pm

If your question is Are you an enterprise, and are you running any Raspberry Pi's? then yes, absolutely, I have several hooked up as environmental monitors in some of our server rooms, I can query them via SNMP so I can use our network monitoring systems to generate alerts on under / over temperature, for example.

I also have one acting as an SMS Gateway, which sends me text messages if we lose our Internet connection - without an Internet connection, none of the emails generated by the Network Monitors would reach me, so an SMS Gateway is a perfect solution. RaspiPi 2B+ plus an SMS Dongle. Job done.

Morphology

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:38 pm

Oh, and at a previous Organisation I put one in each of our remote sites solely so that I could connect into it and send WakeOnLAN messages to certain client devices - WoL messages don't travel across routed networks that have Unicast forwarding disabled, so, again, the Pi was a cheap, low-power, reliable solution. Saved me a taxi ride across town on many occasions.

georgsimonohm

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Thank you all for you responses! Since i opened this thread i did a lot of research about different projects build with the pi. Now i was wondering if there is a official site where all known projects are listed? I think this would be a greate feature. And of course when i'm done with my research i would like to share my results with this great community

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:52 pm

georgsimonohm wrote:Thank you all for you responses! Since i opened this thread i did a lot of research about different projects build with the pi. Now i was wondering if there is a official site where all known projects are listed? I think this would be a greate feature. And of course when i'm done with my research i would like to share my results with this great community
Obviously...such a site does not, and--likely--can not exist. See the post early in this thread by Liz. *She* knows about a lot of embedded uses, but is not at liberty to disclose them.

And since the thread has been (mildly) necro'd...consider the reasons for the existence and potential uses of the Compute Module series of Pis. Those are specifically *intended* for industrial use, though people are--bit by bit--using them in non-industrial projects. (I have a current project that will be using two CM3L boards.)

CarlRJ

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:09 pm

liz wrote:OP - I'm Director of Communications here at Raspberry Pi, and we would *love* to be able to publicise more examples of enterprise usage. Unfortunately the vast, vast majority of organisations using Raspberry Pi do not want to make the fact common knowledge for a variety of reasons, competitive advantage being the main one.
Liz, would there be any chance of putting a page somewhere that simply lists some aggregate statistics of what has been sold into various industries without naming names or describing specific applications? (rounded to nearest 10/100k and lumping companies together.) E.g. "20,000 Pi's have been sold to half a dozen companies in the transportation industry and 100,000 Pi's have been sold to two dozen companies in the consumer electronics industry", etc. Or would even that be too much disclosure for them?

Would be interesting/inspiring information for us hobbyists, and might encourage other potential industry users to look into using the Pi.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:06 pm

[quote="CarlRJ"]Liz, would there be any chance of putting a page somewhere that simply lists some aggregate statistics of what has been sold into various industries.../quote]
I wouldn't count on a response from Liz this month...she's rather busy at the present.

timdepriest

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:33 pm

We have found several interesting uses for the Pi in our shop (100+ users). The best so far has been a VPN on the go solution where we pair a Pi running as a WAP with an OpenVPN based Untangle Firewall in our main office. Plug the Pi into a router or available ethernet port and it instantly creates a tunnel back to the main office while broadcasting a wireless connection internally. The other major uses in our environment are as CUPS print servers and PiHole web filtering. We combine all of this with Untangle firewalls. All are low cost and fairly high performers.

Return to “General discussion”