BlackAdder

Re: Availability Date

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:53 pm

We *really* need a forum topic or a place on the home page that simply states the expected availability date.

If it is a forum topic, only official spokespersons should be allowed to post to it and the date should be updated once a week.

I would hope this would help reduce much customer anxiety and some bad feelings.

I wish to correct past misunderstandings like thinking it was due out in November for several months, then hearing \'end of the year\' and thinking December, and now I hear from news sources \'beginning of next year\'.
It is fine if we have to say things like \"If the board tests OK, then we should see the units available by X. If the board tests bad, then we\'ll have to respin them which most likely would move the date out to Y. Either way we\'ll know after the board testing is complete on Z.\"
And it is fine if the date moves due to unanticipated problems. It\'s the not knowing that drives people to act poorly.

attiatte

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:55 pm

I\'d rather have a realistic release date over a optimistic date

smeatons

Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:19 pm

That will only encourage more posts on when Rpis are going to be available, we have enough of those already.

Much better for people to have patience... they will come out when they are ready. December, January, February, doesn\'t matter. The objectives of the charity, now they matter!

These guys are doing an amazing job, so let them get on with it rather than spending their time here giving updates every 3 seconds!

rnaodm

Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:38 pm

I don\'t think asking for a release date is all too demanding. There are so many products out there that gained so much attention/popularity only to never even be released. You can only hold peoples interest for so long.

smeatons

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Apple seem to manage just fine without providing release dates until they are ready.

Are you really saying that if you don\'t get a release date update on a regular pre-defined schedule that when it\'s released you won\'t be interested anymore? I don\'t think so!

If anything having a date pushed back every time you think it going to be released is just going to raise the fustration levels. Any date given would be pure speculation until the manufacturing order goes in, so why keep dashing peoples hopes. Hang in there and I\'m sure you won\'t be disappointed.

SergeantFTC

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote]Quote from smeatons on December 11, 2011, 20:09
Apple seem to manage just fine without providing release dates until they are ready.[/quote]

Apple? Apple is known for not giving any information about new products until they are practically on shelves, if not the day of. And even then they don\'t tell you how it is being produced, or show you any prototypes. What I am saying is that the Raspberry Pi team has already taken an almost exactly opposite approach from Apple, so why start copying their strategies now? Raspberry Pi does not equal Apple!

BlackAdder

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:00 pm

All I was suggesting was that their customer\'s expectations would be better managed if we were given a method of seeing the expected (yes, Realistic, not Optimistic) availability date.

They wouldn\'t have to post it every three seconds, but it should save them time from getting requests for the availability date every three seconds. I think the large number of posts would decrease as they are generated due to lack of information, IMHO.

I am sure the team is doing great work and I applaud their efforts. As it is I am dissapointed every day I log in and the Pis are not available and it is seen as a virtual date-slip every day. I am sure I\'ll get mine eventually, it just would be nice to know when.

wizbit

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:47 pm

BlackAdder has a point. It isn\'t a question of hassling or in any way lessening the effort or appreciation of the effort this project is going to. A rough date with conditions attached stops the \"is it today\" stuff, reduces the frustration that builds up and yes does indeed prolong the interest.
No I\'m not likely too loose interest if it takes another 2 years to come out, but yes others will, even 2 months and all the traffic that has started hitting here after the positive press in the likes of the Register will drift off to the next shiny object. People are very much like magpies.
You may well think \"Good riddance to them. We don\'t need their sort...\" but I\'d imagine the idea here is to get these things into the hands of as many kids as possible.. once they have them the interest levels will continue, for parent and child.
Give a rough date, pessimistic will do and conditional on named events fine... shift it if need be based on those, but, from much experience, no date really is a day for day slip from the point in their heads they thought they should see it. Reality has no impact if you leave it to imagination.

Robert_M

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:00 pm

[quote]Quote from BlackAdder on December 11, 2011, 21:00
I am sure the team is doing great work and I applaud their efforts. As it is I am dissapointed every day I log in and the Pis are not available and it is seen as a virtual date-slip every day. I am sure I\'ll get mine eventually, it just would be nice to know when.[/quote]

I\'m not trying to be mean in making this observation, but I think it\'s unfair to expect the R-Pi team to resolve our feelings of disappointment.

There are lots of reasons to feel disappointed about stuff. In relation to R-Pi, the main one seems to be \"I won\'t get one of the first 10,000 units.\" I\'m eager to be in that group, too, btw. So maybe it\'d be worthwhile to figure out some way to deflect that sense of disappointment.

I\'m not saying that feeling disappointed is a trivial matter. Just that I don\'t think it\'s the foundation\'s job to address that.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

mobeyduck

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:10 pm

I would like to see some sort of estimate but then more in the form of;
\"We want to have them ready for shipment in/some where in -insert month-\"
That month shouldn\'t be a hard deadline just a wish from the development team, they probably already have a list of milestones with some dates

toxibunny

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:15 pm

I\'m okay with the way things are being handled - raspi team members are active on the forum, the blog is updated whenever anything major happens, we\'ve seen pics of the alpha boards and the latest stuff... okay, maybe a few more posts would be nice, but overall, we\'re getting a lot more info than other tech companies give out. First estimates are overoptimistic - that\'s a simple fact of human psychology....

Stop nagging, dude :D
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

kme

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Anticipated launch has always been Q4 We are still in Q4. Liz published final PCB pictures Dec 1. which mean they got finished a couple of days earlier in November. We have not reason to believe the 100 engineering samples aren\'t been populated as of this moment and/or being tested. Production of the last 9900 unit isn\'t something taking a long time - a couple of day, tops, once you have a production slot.

So shipping may slip into January until they get their shipping/handling business up and running. No big deal.

Some around here behave as five years old waiting for Christmas. Don\'t worry - everything comes to who is waiting.

Johannes

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:32 pm

It\'s not going to be available before Christmas. The test boards are probably not even populated yet, let alone fully tested. I\'m sure they\'d let us know. There\'s no way 10000 ready-to-ship boards are going to be made in time for Christmas. Nothing ever gets done between Christmas and New Year\'s. (If you need something to distract you from your Raspberry Pi anxiety between the years, I recommend the live streams from 28C3). By next year, there should be more information.

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/wiki/Welcome

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:49 pm

Yeesh. I\'ve only just seen this thread.

There are downsides to the decision we\'ve made to be as transparent as possible about what we\'re up to - namely that a few people seem to think that our desire to be open about development and manufacturing creates some sort of obligation on us to them to be *more* open than we are able to be. To be frank, if that sort of person chooses not to buy a Raspberry Pi because we haven\'t given them exactly what they want, I don\'t consider it a great loss; I suspect they\'ll be the sorts of people who would be the first to come hammering on our door for a refund if we launched before we were ready and sold them something that didn\'t work. To recap:

We do not have a firm date for launch, and will not have one until we are absolutely ready, because it depends entirely on how the boards perform in testing. So demanding one, Anxious Forum Member, won\'t get you anywhere - if you like, I can make one up, but I don\'t see how that\'ll satisfy either of us. We expect the official launch to be in January, but we hope to have the batch of beta boards ready to auction before the end of 2011. So keep an eye on how things go between Christmas and the New Year.

Things are going a little slower than I would like too - there was a mild hiccup which meant that Pete only got components in place at the end of last week, and he is fitting what he\'s doing around his business\'s paying customers (the ones who put food on his table and enable him to donate his work to Raspberry Pi) at the moment, so this may drag on even longer than you and I, AFM, would like. I suggest a Christmas spent in the loving arms of your family may dull the pain.

The very moment I get a populated board in my sweaty hands, I will be photographing it and posting it here. And then I will go and have a large drink and relax for the first time in eight months. Will that do?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

malcolmstar

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 am

:)

Montekuri

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 am

Ok.
Time to make a new guess on the Release Day Pool :D

abishur

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:35 am

Well with that I\'m gonna go ahead and close this thread down :) You guys are being nice and all, but we have our answer and I\'d like to forgo the chorus of \"I wasn\'t trying to complain\". If you weren\'t one of the complainers don\'t sweat it, if you were, hopefully Liz has helped alleviate some of your anxiety. I know it\'s really hard to go without hearing anything about this super awesome product, but just try to be patient a little longer. Also I strongly suggest subscribing to their twitter feed. If you don\'t have twitter you can subscribe to it via RSS, you get\'s lots of little nuggets of information by reading it :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”