jrdeahl

Basic use?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 am

Hello:

I am looking for a portable display/monitor for out in the field.

I will have a 5v 20,000 battery with USB outputs, and an instrument with a micro HDMI output.

Will a Raspberry PI 7" screen with the normal boards and with the USB and HDMI inputs automatically power up and use the display, or do I need to use a memory card and config.txt?

Thanks,

John

topguy

Re: Basic use?

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:53 pm

You are confusing me.. you are talking about an instrument with HDMI output, and boards ( RPI ?) with HDMI input which neither the RPI or the display have.
The RPi boards have HDMI output and the official display have a special cable.

jrdeahl

Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Doesn't this setup accept HDMI input for display and a 5v power? On a Raspberry PI?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-800-480- ... 2295520260

topguy

Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Ahh.. You meant "A" Raspberry 7" screen and not "THE" Raspberry 7" screen. ( https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... en-display )

A little clearer, but still not sure what the question was.

jrdeahl

Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:41 pm

I have a portable battery, like you would use to recharge a cell phone. it is a lithium 20,000 with USB output. I also have a ATN X-Sight with HDMI Micro cable output of video.

I am wondering if this Raspberry PI unit will work, by displaying video from the ATN X-Sight and using the USB power mentioned. Will it work as a basic unit without additional memory card or config.sys?

Paeryn

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:31 pm

What you linked to is a display and a board that takes a HDMI input and displays it on the display. The product as far as I can see is nothing to do with the Raspberry Pi (other than it says it will work with an RPi). It isn't an RPi itself nor does it come with one.

It may or may not work with your hardware, you would have to check with either the seller or whoever makes it.
She who travels light — forgot something.

klricks

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:36 pm

jrdeahl wrote:I have a portable battery, like you would use to recharge a cell phone. it is a lithium 20,000 with USB output. I also have a ATN X-Sight with HDMI Micro cable output of video.

I am wondering if this Raspberry PI unit will work, by displaying video from the ATN X-Sight and using the USB power mentioned. Will it work as a basic unit without additional memory card or config.sys?
As mentioned the RPi does not have HDMI input. As with most HDMI devices the HDMI on the RPi is output only...... TV's / monitors have inputs....
You would need 2 screens to use both the RPi and the ATN X-site device at the same time.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

CarlRJ

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:57 pm

jrdeahl wrote:I have a portable battery, like you would use to recharge a cell phone. it is a lithium 20,000 with USB output. I also have a ATN X-Sight with HDMI Micro cable output of video.

The display you linked to is not what most people will assume you mean when you say "Raspberry Pi 7-inch Display". There is a very specific 7" display made for the Raspberry Pi that will work only with the Pi (and would have zero chance of working with your rifle scope).

The display you link to is essentially the guts of a garden variety 7" HDMI/VGA LCD monitor but with no case. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Raspberry Pi, other than that the seller is suggesting that one could use it to display output from a Raspberry Pi (which is true). But I would think that for a rifle scope that you'll presumably be using outdoors, you'd want something built into a ruggedized/weatherproof case. Regardless, no Raspberry Pi would be involved in the chain between the scope and the display, so no memory card or changes to config.txt would be necessary.

As to whether the monitor you linked will work with your scope, we can only offer guesses. Probably yes, with the proper microHDMI-to-HDMI cable. But that question could be better answered by the seller of the display, than on this Raspberry Pi forum.

tinylcd

Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:40 am

Hello

you can also visit below website and see if any of these display can meet your need and budget

all of them are tested on Raspberry pi

www.neosecsolutions,com

regards
tinylcd

CarlRJ

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:11 am

tinylcd wrote:you can also visit below website and see if any of these display can meet your need and budget
all of them are tested on Raspberry pi
Despite the location of the post, if you read carefully, he's not looking for a display for a Raspberry Pi, simply one that takes an HDMI input.

topguy

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:06 pm

But you don't need the Raspberry, you can just connect your rifle scope directly to the display if you want. Scope HDMI out --> Display HDMI in.

The name "lithium 20000" doesnt really tell us anything,, We can guess that it is a Lithium-Ion battery with 20000mAh capasity but thats about it. The display specs can probably tell you how many mA (milliampere) it needs during operation and that will make us able to calculate aprox. the number of hours it will work.

Return to “General discussion”