DaftBrush

Pixel OS permanent install on PC

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:58 am

How do you permanently install the Pixel OS permanently on an old PC or Mac as a replacement for the present operating system. I have a very old Toshiba laptop running Windows XP and is creaking along . Also I have a iBook G4 running Mac OSX Leopard . Pixel would definitely liven up my old Toshiba as Pixel is a very light operating system.

Instructions for Windows and Mac please.

DaftBrush

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pixel OS permanent install on PC

Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:36 pm

I'm not sure if there any instructions for doing this yet. This is very much an early preview, once its decided its worth spending more time on it, I suspect much more documentation and capabilities will be added.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

B.Goode

Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:46 pm

This statement from one of the RPF developers seems to cover your requirement:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=168852&start=50#p1086255
The current image is not intended for permanent installation on a hard drive - this is just a trial product. If it is popular (and it certainly seems to be...), future versions will include an install option. Some people on the blog comments have suggested permanent installation methods - they may work, but we haven't tried them, so can offer no guarantees.

My advice would be to wait until we can produce a proper installer. I'd guess that would be some time in the first quarter of next year, but don't quote me!

Wizzabeck

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:59 pm

The live DVD on this month's Magpi wont load properly on my AMD Fx-4100 desktop. I get a pretty screen with a rubbish bin. Some smart right clicking will shew a home directory but nothing seems to be usable and although I can get a terminal it seems to be unable to do anything other than respond to ls -l.
Text in the mag. refers to intel machines, I've never had a problem with AMDs on any linux I've used before. I would have thought the kernel took care of the processor type.

Ken

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:21 pm

Wizzabeck wrote:The live DVD on this month's Magpi wont load properly on my AMD Fx-4100 desktop. I get a pretty screen with a rubbish bin. Some smart right clicking will shew a home directory but nothing seems to be usable and although I can get a terminal it seems to be unable to do anything other than respond to ls -l.
Text in the mag. refers to intel machines, I've never had a problem with AMDs on any linux I've used before. I would have thought the kernel took care of the processor type.

Ken
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=169112

It's better to start a new thread rather than post in existing un-related threads.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Wizzabeck wrote:The live DVD on this month's Magpi wont load properly on my AMD Fx-4100 desktop. I get a pretty screen with a rubbish bin. Some smart right clicking will shew a home directory but nothing seems to be usable and although I can get a terminal it seems to be unable to do anything other than respond to ls -l.

Ken
Maybe something also in this related thread:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=168852
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

alphanumeric

Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:36 pm

+1 for wanting an installable version to run from a hard drive. ;)

Wizzabeck

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks to you all for prompt replies. Will try workaround later this evening.

Ken

tech-mech

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:28 pm

I also would like to do a permanent install.

I went the USB stick way. Using it on an Acer Netbook (so much fun getting into the BIOS) and also on an Acer Notebook.

I could install using apt-get but not with add-remove from the menu. It messes up the clock and I did not see a way to set the time.

Dale

ejolson

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:47 pm

tech-mech wrote:I also would like to do a permanent install.
Another useful feature would be a PiNet-style network boot image for an Intel version of Pixel.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:19 pm

ejolson wrote:
tech-mech wrote:I also would like to do a permanent install.
Another useful feature would be a PiNet-style network boot image for an Intel version of Pixel.
As Pixel OS is basically Debian Jessie with the Pixel DE, it should not be difficult for anyone to re-spin to create a distro which suits their needs. Damn quicker than posting I would like / wants....

Now where have RPF hidden the x86 Desktop Packages. ???????

ShiftPlusOne

Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:27 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Now where have RPF hidden the x86 Desktop Packages. ???????
They will show up in the repo when I have access to it.
For now, you can find a mirror here:
https://repo.xecdesign.com/debian/
(Don't use it on a stable install, those files aren't going to be there permanently)

sspence65

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:11 pm

apt-get install pixel

Would be the preferred way to install this .....

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:14 pm

sspence65 wrote:apt-get install pixel

Would be the preferred way to install this .....
EXPERIMENTAL BETA means it is a proof of concept. :shock:

r3d4

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:41 am

DaftBrush wrote:How do you permanently install the Pixel OS permanently
DaftBrush
The same way you install any other OS permanently ;)

- install and configure a (x86) bootloader .

- configure the bootloader to boot a gnu/linux (or other) kernel .

- copy the files of the iso bootable distro to disk, configure the bootloader (paths) to boot the kernel (&options) and use some disk as root fs .

:|
Last edited by r3d4 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sspence65

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:39 pm

That's not how most people install linux, or a new desktop environment. Most download an iso to cd/dvd or memory stick, and boot from it, and answer the prompts. If they have an existing linux running,and they want to add a new DE, they type apt-get install "name of DE" (no parenthesis) and follow the prompts. Unfortunately, Pixel is not unbundled from the "demo" os, so neither of these options are available. So to put pixel on a desktop as an installed DE, much finagling (as you summarized) is needed. In the end, this "announcement" is not much more than a carrot on a stick. Ought to be nice when it's released, but how long do we have to wait?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:05 pm

sspence65 wrote:That's not how most people install linux, or a new desktop environment. Most download an iso to cd/dvd or memory stick, and boot from it, and answer the prompts. If they have an existing linux running,and they want to add a new DE, they type apt-get install "name of DE" (no parenthesis) and follow the prompts. Unfortunately, Pixel is not unbundled from the "demo" os, so neither of these options are available. So to put pixel on a desktop as an installed DE, much finagling (as you summarized) is needed. In the end, this "announcement" is not much more than a carrot on a stick. Ought to be nice when it's released, but how long do we have to wait?
If you are not happy with what RPF are offering, then create what you want and offer it back to the RPF... Help others rather than expecting !! This is after all a Community..

B.Goode

Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:18 pm

how long do we have to wait?

Answered here:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=169109&p=1087712#p1086595

smokingwheels

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Well I have a Swap File on my USB seems to be running with yacy ok.
Slight memory leakage was happening over 3.5 hour eg swap increasing have been plotting.

I added http://www.parkingcrew.com to my hosts file, after Chromium informed me that the site where I was going was being interfered with.
Results increase swap after 2 hours 15804 - 15604.
Instead of ~4000 /hour.

You can monitor uptime on my Pixel OS on a USB, if you add ~1 hour to a Peer named Pixel_Yacy near the bottom of this page.
http://sw.twilightparadox.com:8888/Netw ... Count=1000

Note: This is a really slow computer, I have trashed my yacy server before but most times I learn a new trick.

Really can't wait till I find a way to Trash my windows...With Pixel OS Beta..

Its all about Fun and Giving in the end.
Think of the younger generations that may read this on the Internet.

r3d4

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:52 pm

sspence65 wrote:That's not how most people install linux, or a new desktop environment. ..
Perhaps not !
It is more or less what the installer script(s) will do after someone 'answers the prompts' .

r3d4

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:23 pm

sspence65 wrote: but how long do we have to wait?
Not long !
spl23 wrote:If you are happy building code from source, the initial version with x86 support is in GitHub...
Shout if you try them and find any bugs - they are early releases at the moment.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=168852&start=100#p1098158

ejolson

Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:If you are not happy with what RPF are offering, then create what you want and offer it back to the RPF... Help others rather than expecting !! This is after all a Community..
That's a good idea. I wonder who owns the Pixel trademark. It doesn't appear on the foundation's trademark page. Still, maybe it is best to call an independently packaged Pi-like desktop for x86 architectures something other than Pixel.

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:01 pm

ejolson wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:If you are not happy with what RPF are offering, then create what you want and offer it back to the RPF... Help others rather than expecting !! This is after all a Community..
That's a good idea. I wonder who owns the Pixel trademark. It doesn't appear on the foundation's trademark page. Still, maybe it is best to call an independently packaged Pi-like desktop for x86 architectures something other than Pixel.
It's probably too generic to trademark.

Martin Frezman

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:07 pm

The problem with all this is that it is classic Unix "Well, you could do that". [*]

I.e., inviting people to do it themselves - which benefits only them - rather than doing it as part of the mainstream - which would benefit everybody.

And think about it - basically one of two scenarios will result (if people start hacking up their own versions of Pixel [or anything else]):

1) They call it something else - in which case, no one other than them will ever pay it any attention.

2) They call it Pixel (which, as you correctly note, is probably too generic to trademark), in which case chaos results - when you have multiple versions all calling themselves the same thing.

All in all, much better if it is done centrally...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[*] For an explanation of this term, see the "Unix Haters Handbook" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unix-Haters_Handbook)
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

JumpZero

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:24 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:All in all, much better if it is done centrally...
No! The Bazaar is better than the cathedral
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathe ... the_Bazaar

Return to “General discussion”