TideMan

Standalone Kodi on RPi3: wifi issues

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:39 am

I was running standalone Kodi on an RPi3 and having cutting out problems.
Plugging in ethernet instead of using wireless solved the problem, so I concluded it must be the on board wifi adapter.
So I plugged in a usb WLAN Adapter with aerial and suddenly everything worked without any cutting out!

Can someone explain how/why this solved my problem?
I did not reconfigure anything, just plugged in the usb adapter.
Does the presence of the usb adapter overide the onboard adapter?
Incidentally,

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a
tells me the wlan1 is working, not wlan0.

Standalone Kodi is pretty bare. The /etc/ directory has no network directory, so where is the configuration stored?

alphanumeric

Re: Standalone Kodi on RPi3: wifi issues

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:21 am

It could be the orientation, or the case being used? Especially if its a metal case. I haven't had any issues in Raspbian with the WIFI on my 3B. I have a LibeElec/KODI setup on a Pi 3B. I'm pretty sure, but not 100% sure, I did the setup via WIFI. It's a Christmas present so at the moment its wrapped up in a box. I only went as far as making sure everything worked before wrapping it up. I'll try to remember to do some testing after the 25th.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:15 pm

If you've got a metal case or a case with a metal support or screw next to the WiFi adaptor (or an add-on board with a spacer or screw there), that could be the culprit. Have you tried it without the case?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

TideMan

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:04 pm

liz wrote:If you've got a metal case or a case with a metal support or screw next to the WiFi adaptor (or an add-on board with a spacer or screw there), that could be the culprit. Have you tried it without the case?
No, it's in an "official" RPi 3 case (white and pink plastic)

alphanumeric

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Not that it matters, but isn't the white & pink one the official 2B case? The light pipes for the LED's are on the wrong side for a 3B. I have the Black Grey version which has them on the other side for the 3B. I had one of the white pink ones too and sold it with my 2B to a friend.
Have a look inside to make sure the light pipes aren't touching the WIFI antenna. They are plastic and shouldn't affect it but it couldn't hurt to trim them back if they are touching.

Return to “General discussion”