sonium

Who uses Raspberry Pis?

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:10 am

I was not able to find any sources for this, but I am intersted to know what the sales of raspberry pi's are by age group. Did the Raspberry Pi actually succeed in enganging highschool students into software / hardware engineering, and are there numbers to proof it?

Heater

Re: Who uses Raspberry Pis?

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:41 am

I do you expect to get a break down of sales by age? Nobody asks me how old I am when I buy Pi. Never mind that a lot of buyers will be parents buying for their kids.

Hang around this forum a bit and you will see of lot of Pi action from the young'ns. Or check out the stories on the front page of raspberrypi.org.

I have personally seen youngsters using Pi in their projects from Scandinavia to San Jose!

Has there been an upward trend in applications to CS, EE, Maths, etc university places in recent years? If there is, can we attribute any of that to the arrival of the Pi? Short of interviewing a sample of college intake and asking them if the Pi inspired them it seems almost impossible to know.

Perhaps some young prospective engineers could chip in here and tell their stories.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

wildfire

Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:32 pm

I'm approaching 50 and have 5 pi's (3 3b's 1 Zero and 1 B), I've bought others for kids and they are enjoying the experience of Pi.

Yes, I am older but the Pi brought back memory of electronics, learning is not simply based on age. Whether you are 5..10..50..100 years old you are never too young to learn.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

Heater

Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:35 pm

widfire,
I'm approaching 50 ...
See, youngsters do use the Pi. :)
Last edited by Heater on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epoch1970

Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:50 pm

I too think a few interviews / direct queries of students or education staff members should be a good starting point.

To gather some incidental data, you could also start a poll here (question: what would be the good question?).
Or perhaps use something like google trends and see if "Raspberry Pi" is a popular subject within, say, .edu domains?

And I am with wildfire, here ;)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

boyoh

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Who uses the RaspberryPi, I do and I'm 85 and still learning, You never finish learning electronics
I started a electrical apprenticeship way back in 1945, It was a seven year stint in them days
My interest in electronics started in the TTL days, No computer No Google , Just books
BreadBoards power supply, and analogue mult meter, And lot of over voltage on capacitors
What a stink from them, It was all part of the learning curve..

I enjoyed every day of my working life, I would do the same all over again.

Regards BoyOh Retired Electrical / Electronic/ Technician
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

Heater

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Boyho,
...TTL days, No computer No Google , Just books
BreadBoards power supply, and analogue mult meter,
It was great wasn't it!

W. H. Heydt

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:58 pm

boyoh wrote:Who uses the RaspberryPi, I do and I'm 85 and still learning,
I was thinking of posting that, at 67, I am far from the oldest Pi user that posts here. Congrats on keeping your mind agile enough to enjoy working with Pi.

Down towards the other end of the scale, my 8-year-old grandson makes use of a Pi, and I'm sure that he is (relatively) far from the youngest to do so.

bensimmo

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:02 pm

I don't know the relation between the Pi release in the UK and the media that followed it at the time and the sudden urgent restyle of KS2 (junior school) Computing syllabus, from what was a bland ICT style one, with introduction to programming (sorry coding) and physical computing, think mindstorms/Lego education style become more mainstream for teaching or how that brought about the Micro:bit, now the mainstay of the KS3 STEM section (used in industry challenges and computing)
The Pi itself may not be used as much as it could, since programming can be done without one easily enough and few have the skills for anything g more challenging nor the time to learn it within a school. especially since they have the micro:bit for the basics on all of they.
But it's that initial relationship i would be more curious about.

Thanks know of a child who now works in a local internet tech company very successfully, he used the Pi's at our school to learn networking and that his job now, without university or and apprenticeship.

I also know plenty of boy, more so than girls or anything in between, who like to build and think of ideas.. though getting them to do and learn is the challenge.

Oh and the child of 80s/early 90s child/teenagers that have had an interest sparked again.

And all them oldies who hang around telling us all how to do it and how it was done bitd ;-)

blaablaaguy

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:18 pm

Heater wrote: Perhaps some young prospective engineers could chip in here and tell their stories.
Im 14, and ive been a nerdy guy for as long as i can remember. I used to play with snap-circuits when i was 7 :)
This signature intentionally left blank.

CaptSunset

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:34 pm

You might check out Adafruit, a US pi supplier & homebase for makers, cosplayers, and generally people who do odd things with very little (boards).
(It seems the majority of Pi boards are owned by adults, just because they can afford to own half a dozen... got 5 myself!)

https://blog.adafruit.com/

The real question might be: what was the point of the BBC micro:bit?

I see a problem which has bothered me for a while, altho expressing it is sure to get me in trouble...
these educational projects are based around coding. In my experience, there is nothing like having a real world project to get polymath (multi-aptitude) kids motivated to learn code.

You all may remember when 'graphic design' was the big deal in computer education, but because educators didn't assess the jobs market, the best most of those people can do is CGI sweatshops and far more are maintaining websites or maintaining server farms.

By analogy, it is the difference between knowing the rules of chess and being really good at playing chess. The youngsters need to invent applications from the gitgo, or they will be facing AI code monkeys when they mature.

alphanumeric

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:44 pm

58 years young with 7 Pi's as of the last head count. 2 3B's, 2 A+'s, 3 Zero's. Retired electronic technician that picked it up as a hobby. I surly hope some of the younger generation have taken up the challenge and tried their hand at creating something with a raspberry Pi. In todays push button society it would be nice if a few learned what actually happens between button A being pressed and Light A coming on etc. :)

alphanumeric

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 pm

CaptSunset wrote:You might check out Adafruit, a US pi supplier & homebase for makers, cosplayers, and generally people who do odd things with very little (boards).
(It seems the majority of Pi boards are owned by adults, just because they can afford to own half a dozen... got 5 myself!)

https://blog.adafruit.com/

The real question might be: what was the point of the BBC micro:bit?

I see a problem which has bothered me for a while, altho expressing it is sure to get me in trouble...
these educational projects are based around coding. In my experience, there is nothing like having a real world project to get polymath (multi-aptitude) kids motivated to learn code.

You all may remember when 'graphic design' was the big deal in computer education, but because educators didn't assess the jobs market, the best most of those people can do is CGI sweatshops and far more are maintaining websites or maintaining server farms.

By analogy, it is the difference between knowing the rules of chess and being really good at playing chess. The youngsters need to invent applications from the gitgo, or they will be facing AI code monkeys when they mature.
I've bought a lot of Pi related stuff from Adafruit. I'd be scared to add up how much I've spent over the years. :shock: Quality stuff, IMHO. Lots of tutorials on their site and a nice learning section. If your in the UK check out Pimoroni, another good site for PI stuff. They also have a learning section with tutorials.

Heater

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:05 pm

@blaablaaguy,
I used to play with snap-circuits when i was 7
Way to go. Before I was 10 it was Philips Electronic Engineer kits: http://www.hansotten.com/index.php?page=ee8-a20-e20

Sounds like you were a pre-nerd. Before the Pi that is.

@CaptSunset,
...these educational projects are based around coding. In my experience, there is nothing like having a real world project to get polymath...
That bothers me a bit to. Programming is great and all but it's probably far two abstratct and meaningless for many without a connection to something else. Be that maths, or contolling gadgets and robots, or communications or whatever.

@bensimmo
...know of a child who now works in a local internet tech company very successfully, he used the Pi's at our school to learn networking and that his job now, without university or and apprenticeship....
Good for him.

But that also bothers me a bit. Kids learning some skill or other then jumping into work with out a wider education. But again, given how hard it is to get any further education today I guess more and more of that will happen.

Pendean

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:03 am

As a 74 year old I was delighted to see that others of a similar age are enjoying the Raspberry Pi. With only a limited knowledge of computing and electronics it took a while for me to get to grips with all the acronyms and the use of some very loose language, which comes with familiarity with the subject. The Rpi forms the basis of a great retirement hobby, just to 2 zeros and 2 2Bs so far. I get great satisfaction from being able to control my Christmas lights using my mobile and a Rpi zero. So there are lots of side benefits. The trouble is there is so much to do.

bensimmo

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:54 am

W.r.t. the micro:bit.
It is the ease with which they can be coded and use of the sensors, in fact coding is just a bit to get it done and you pick up bits as you go along.
Ease of use and capability...

It's very much STEM (educational term for science, tech, engineering and maths, tech being anything from electronics to sewing and cooking) product and should be used as such, if you look at the microbit site, you'll see this. Kids are shown uses where coding isn't the important part.
Push from education groups has been in it use, other than the IT side of it,
For example Welcome Trust sent out science boxed with a set of microbit in them, both to primary and senior schools.
(Note not the best implementation as these suddenly appeared and people new nothing about them when they turned up)

Also having just hosted a BAR Land Rover Faraday Challenge, it was excellent use of them. It was a full product design, think whatever you want to think from it.
Money, jobs, ideas and group work. Have a look.
The Pi would not be capable of that, even with the sensehat.
That is a project doing it well.
Being the best coder in that did not mean you won and go forwards in the challenge.

UNFORTUNATELY...
It's still early days, school have only just had their first term of use with it, give them chance. Also given they belong to the kids (or should do) it's purely a one year group project, how can any syllabus, cross curriculum or not, cope with that.

Return to “General discussion”