Fififoofum

Micro SD help please!

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:24 pm

I'm buying my oh a raspberry pi for Xmas, and because he's been quite particular about what he wants I'm buying the components separately!
So question is this; do I need to buy and SD card adaptor for the Pi 3 or will the micro SD go straight into the machine?
Thanks guys!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Micro SD help please!

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:17 am

the micro sd slots directly into the Pi however i'd pick up an adapter anyway (50% of store bought micro sd cards come with one in the packaging anyway) as most (all?) desktop/laptop only have an sd card slot and not a micro sd card slot

wildfire

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:40 am

Older models take an SD card, pretty sure it won't be an issue for you. (EDIT: just re-read your post, All Pi 3b's use micro SD cards)

As ukscone posted it's best for compatibility with other devices to have a SD adapter, and chances are you'll get one with the micro card.

The store where I buy my cards from come with both SD and Mini SD adapters.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

klricks

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:41 am

You don't need an adapter for the RPi itself, but you may need the adapter to transfer the downloaded OS image from your Windows or MAC computer to the SD card.

My newer USB cardreader has a slot for micro SD card so I don't need the adapter anymore.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:07 pm

There is also this really elegant USB adapter for microSD cards:
https://thepihut.com/products/usb-2-0-m ... osd-to-usb

CaptSunset

Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:42 am

One and another thing... there are lots of tutorials around that refer generically to the 2B & 3B operation.

Prob'ly not an issue, but all the earlier Pi models 'clicked' the microSD card into place- click & push in again to release the card.
The 3B just slides the card into place, and is not pressed again to remove it.

Also, the card does a little housekeeping after the software is shut down. The indicator lights work differently than the 2B, wait a little bit before pulling the AC adapter to avoid corrupting the card.

But wait there's more! The Pi can now clone it's own card, so when it is nicely personalized that USB card adapter can come in handy!

Return to “General discussion”