teeth_03

Thinking about getting one

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:51 am

I am a full time technician, working mainly on your average joe's virus infected and bad hard drive PCs, but I build my own PCs and know a lot about Windows. I unfortunately do not have much of a need to know much linux in my line of work however, and with my desire to be a PC gamer, it kind of limits me to use Windows on all on my PCs.

But for ~$35 and a few accessories, I might be interested in getting one to toy around with Linux some. I dont plan on hooking anything fancy up to it (other than video,USB,ethernet,power), I would just like to see how it compares to what I do now.

Here is what I am wondering how it would do with these tasks:

1. Browse the web, mainly forums....and Engadget/Joystiq
2. Stream SD movies off of a Windows File Share
3. SD Youtube
4. I am assuming Netflix is a no go?
5. A few emulators maybe,hopefully SNES and GBA. I would love,however, to play Mario Kart 64 off of it, but that is probably asking too much.

If it can do these things within reason, then I dont see why this little guy cant be used in place of a much larger windows based system.

Now, as for actually getting ahold of it. Ebay as a lot of overpriced ones,and a lot of the manufacturer direct sites have a long wait time,but this isn't too awful bad:

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/produc ... rypi-group

As far as accessories, I like buying from NewEgg when I can. I'm trying to keep it close to $50 total if I can:

Power Adapter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 07Y06F6731
Cable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 07R08T8680
SD Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220450

So I am looking for opinions on my questions on usability and my accessories, thanks guys!

adlambert

Re: Thinking about getting one

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:36 pm

Personally I wouldn't recommend the Pi as a device to consume web and video content in order to provide entertainment directly from those services.
If you are the type of person that is entertained by the challenges of getting these things to work and improving them then the Pi is a great device.
The Pi is used by some as an XBMC type device, but in my opinion there are better and easier ways of doing this.

Consider the Pi's primary purpose, as an educational computer that people can use to learn various computing disciplines, then as a hobbyist tinkering platform.
If you want just to got straight to and spend your time browsing web, playing games and streaming video then there are plenty of gadgets that will do that out of the box, some you probably already own.

The other great advantage of the Pi is the big enthusiastic community all working on the same hardware and talking via the internet.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:47 pm

In addition...the Pi is a good device to learn about Linux, since if you completely trash the system, an SD card re-write will fix it (see your own reference to bad HDDs).

Given what you do, learning some Linux would probably come in handy. There are a bunch of things that can be done to Windows PCs by booting one to a Linux live CD that can be rather awkward with a bad (or badly infected/corrupted) PC. (Granted, you'd need physical access to the PC, but from the description of what you do, I suspect you get that anyway.)

Also, given what you do, command line interface probably holds no terror to you and you might really enjoy the power and scope of the Linux command line.

pluggy

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:02 pm

I'm in the same line of work as the OP, Linux is a better tool for fixing broken Windows systems than Windows itself IMO.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

kghunt

Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:45 pm

pluggy wrote:I'm in the same line of work as the OP, Linux is a better tool for fixing broken Windows systems than Windows itself IMO.
Second that, hands up who's used a Linux live cd to fix a windows partition or hack a shadow file when someone forgets their password. I have lost count the amount of times I used and Ubuntu live cd to resize pre 2008r2 partitions.

stuartheath

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:10 pm

The Pi is a great platform to learn linux, thats the main reason I got mine. I love logging into it via ssh (I dont use x) and getting my hands dirty in the shell, its the best way to learn, and using this forum at the same time. I also have the same background as you, get involved, its fun! :)

mikerr

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:20 pm

You don't need a Pi to try linux, you can do that better on any PC

e.g. ubuntu linux will install directly in windows, no partitioning needed:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/ins ... th-windows

and performance will obviously be far far better than a pi

BUT

Its much more FUN using a Pi - and its a very small, silent low power computer
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

teeth_03

Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:07 am

Well, the most effiecient way of learning linux is VirtualBox, which i have some experience with.

But it isnt very fun to be honest. But using something like the Pi that can do so much for $35, sounds like more fun

Return to “General discussion”