Patrick

Re: Im interested, need some questions answered though

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:26 am

I am very interested in this little board and I already have an idea for a project, but it all depends if any of the following requirements can be satisfied:

1 - In the specs it says that it only has an audio output, but is there any way to attach a line-in/mic jack to it?

2 - would it be possible to produce custom boards made to customer specifications, e. g. replace HDMI port with a standardized LCD/LED display connector for portable/embedded device projects?

3 - Is there any chance that you might offer boards with larger memory and a faster processor on it (and perhaps a better graphics processor) in the near future?

Petrakis

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:05 am

1. You could use an USB mic.

2-3. I don´t think so,

shiftyphil

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 am

[quote]2 - would it be possible to produce custom boards made to customer specifications, e. g. replace HDMI port with a standardized LCD/LED display connector for portable/embedded device projects?[/quote]

Not likely as far the custom boards go.

There is a DSI connector that I believe may be useful for attaching an LCD.

tntexplosivesltd

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:12 am

And it is possible to make an HDMI to LVDS converter, as a few of us are doing. Just waiting on the components...

Patrick

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:27 am

oh, yeah I forgot about the DSI connector - would I be able to hook a internal camera/webcam component to it?

abishur

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 pm

The answers to the first one (and the DSI question) is widely discussed through the forum. I know the search feature doesn\'t work on any search string that is only three characters, but a little manual searching will quickly provide fruitful results ;)

As for the second one, no. Custom boards equal small volumes and high prices and the goal of the project isn\'t a cheap project board for hackers (though that\'s a wonderful side benefit) but to provide a cheap PC for children to be able to use to promote computer literacy (a better explanation of their goals can be found on the \"About Us\" page)

For the third question, only time will tell. Obviously as the cost of components decreases the capabilities of the board will increase while still meeting their 25 USD price limit. But in the \"near\" future... seeing as how the board isn\'t even out yet, I wouldn\'t go holding my breath :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”