emd023
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 am

Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 2:48 am

Hi everyone,

So...I have some serious problems waking up in the morning. I have tried using several different alarm clock apps however they do not work. My stubborn brain just gets right back in bed.

Anyway, I would like to have an alarm that will not shut off until I step into my bathroom and scan or activate something that LOCKS ME INSIDE. I could see this working with an electric lock and some keycard/bluetooth technology. Seriously I think this is the only way I am going to prevent myself from getting back into bed.

Do you think something like this is possible? Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 3933
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 8:31 am

Anything that locks you in is tricky -- it must be failsafe, you must be able to get yourself out, and do that while still thinking Sleep. How about you have to pick up a Bluetooth beacon (maybe your phone) and move it to the bathroom for (say) 2 minutes minimum? Alarm stops when Bluetooth leaves bedroom. Alarm restarts if it comes back in less than two minutes, or if it's not back in five minutes (so you can't just move phone and come back to bed).

Of course, if you are ingenious enough to design a clever alarm, you are also ingenious enough to overcome it :lol: :shock: :? :evil: :roll: .
Signature retired

Heater
Posts: 12955
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 12:07 pm

emd023,

...activate something that LOCKS ME INSIDE. I could see this working with an electric lock and some keycard/bluetooth technology. Seriously I think this is the only way I am going to prevent myself from getting back into bed. ... Let me know your thoughts!

I think you are nuts. Anything that is capable of locking you in is capable of killing you. Like if you get sick or the house is on fire at the time.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10568
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 2:04 pm

While not exactly your problem, my Pi-as-an-alarm-clock would solve at least part of your problem. I use cron to turn on a stream from our local classical music station. There is no "off" and the alarm clock is run headless. You have to bring up a different computer, do a remote log in and kill the processes. I suspect that, by the time you've done all that, you'll be awake enough not to need to. Just be sure to make it a bit difficult to turn the speakers off...

stderr
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Heater wrote:emd023,

...activate something that LOCKS ME INSIDE. I could see this working with an electric lock and some keycard/bluetooth technology. Seriously I think this is the only way I am going to prevent myself from getting back into bed. ... Let me know your thoughts!

I think you are nuts. Anything that is capable of locking you in is capable of killing you. Like if you get sick or the house is on fire at the time.
Maybe he could include an escape axe like they have in the attics in houses in New Orleans. "Here's Johnny!": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpipB4yehk

Massi
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 3:36 pm

emd023 wrote:Hi everyone,

So...I have some serious problems waking up in the morning. I have tried using several different alarm clock apps however they do not work. My stubborn brain just gets right back in bed.

Anyway, I would like to have an alarm that will not shut off until I step into my bathroom and scan or activate something that LOCKS ME INSIDE. I could see this working with an electric lock and some keycard/bluetooth technology. Seriously I think this is the only way I am going to prevent myself from getting back into bed.

Do you think something like this is possible? Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
best post of the month!

emd023
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Heater wrote:emd023,

...activate something that LOCKS ME INSIDE. I could see this working with an electric lock and some keycard/bluetooth technology. Seriously I think this is the only way I am going to prevent myself from getting back into bed. ... Let me know your thoughts!

I think you are nuts. Anything that is capable of locking you in is capable of killing you. Like if you get sick or the house is on fire at the time.
I am most definitely nuts. I think I'd be able to bust out of there in case of an emergency, though. I think my door is made of balsa wood.

emd023
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 9:44 pm

davidcoton wrote:Anything that locks you in is tricky -- it must be failsafe, you must be able to get yourself out, and do that while still thinking Sleep. How about you have to pick up a Bluetooth beacon (maybe your phone) and move it to the bathroom for (say) 2 minutes minimum? Alarm stops when Bluetooth leaves bedroom. Alarm restarts if it comes back in less than two minutes, or if it's not back in five minutes (so you can't just move phone and come back to bed).

Of course, if you are ingenious enough to design a clever alarm, you are also ingenious enough to overcome it :lol: :shock: :? :evil: :roll: .
That's why you are going to make it for me, right!?

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 3933
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 10:40 pm

emd023 wrote:
davidcoton wrote: Of course, if you are ingenious enough to design a clever alarm, you are also ingenious enough to overcome it :lol: :shock: :? :evil: :roll: .
That's why you are going to make it for me, right!?
If you like. Note I would need to learn the Bluetooth skills as part of the job. :o
I can make the code open source, but I can't transfer the fun of doing the project. :shock:
Am I allowed to use a taser if you go back to bed? Or only a water pistol? :twisted:
£50 per hour, plus parts, and you join the end of a queue of work that currently lasts several months. :lol:

(I know, I'm cheap compared to Dougie!) :mrgreen:
Signature retired

User avatar
liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5201
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 11:37 pm

I think there are probably safer options - like setting a Pi to detect whether you've got back into bed (magic things, PIR sensors), and pour a mug of water onto you if you do. (Or set off more and worse alarms, which may be a little more realistic.) I hate to think of you dead in your bathroom, is all.

Either this, or get a dog.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Tzarls
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 am

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Wed May 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Instead of locking you in the bathroom, why don't have the RPi lock you out of you bedroom? As soon as you reach the alarm in the bathroom it locks the bedroom door for a certain amount of time, enough to brush your teeth, wash your face and that.

emd023
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Sat May 14, 2016 1:24 am

liz wrote:I think there are probably safer options - like setting a Pi to detect whether you've got back into bed (magic things, PIR sensors), and pour a mug of water onto you if you do. (Or set off more and worse alarms, which may be a little more realistic.) I hate to think of you dead in your bathroom, is all.

Either this, or get a dog.
What magic things do you speak of? I think if I just laid very still I could trick a PIR sensor. How about a pressure plate? If the pressure plate is activated after the set time, the alarm will sound. That could be easy to set up yeah?

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10568
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Sat May 14, 2016 2:49 am

On the whole....it would appear that the OP needs to get to bed earlier so he isn't so tired in morning that he needs fancy tech tricks to get him up.

emd023
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Sat May 14, 2016 8:34 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:On the whole....it would appear that the OP needs to get to bed earlier so he isn't so tired in morning that he needs fancy tech tricks to get him up.
I get more than enough sleep and I am not tired throughout the day but waking up is very difficult for some reason. When I am half asleep in the morning my brain doesnt work properly. 6:30AM brain doesnt care about waking up and getting to work on time and will snooze until the last possible minute, sometimes even turning the alarms off completely without worrying about the consequences.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10568
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Sat May 14, 2016 10:50 pm

emd023 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:On the whole....it would appear that the OP needs to get to bed earlier so he isn't so tired in morning that he needs fancy tech tricks to get him up.
I get more than enough sleep and I am not tired throughout the day but waking up is very difficult for some reason. When I am half asleep in the morning my brain doesnt work properly. 6:30AM brain doesnt care about waking up and getting to work on time and will snooze until the last possible minute, sometimes even turning the alarms off completely without worrying about the consequences.
Have you brought this issue to the attention of your doctor? Or, perhaps, asked your boss to change the time your work day starts?: It really doesn't sound like you have an alarm clock problem.

stderr
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Sat May 14, 2016 11:18 pm

emd023 wrote:
liz wrote:Either this, or get a dog.
What magic things do you speak of? I think if I just laid very still I could trick a PIR sensor.
You couldn't trick a dog. And you certainly couldn't trick my cat.

emd023
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Using the RP to act as an alarm clock and lock a door?

Mon May 16, 2016 3:24 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
emd023 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:On the whole....it would appear that the OP needs to get to bed earlier so he isn't so tired in morning that he needs fancy tech tricks to get him up.
I get more than enough sleep and I am not tired throughout the day but waking up is very difficult for some reason. When I am half asleep in the morning my brain doesnt work properly. 6:30AM brain doesnt care about waking up and getting to work on time and will snooze until the last possible minute, sometimes even turning the alarms off completely without worrying about the consequences.
Have you brought this issue to the attention of your doctor? Or, perhaps, asked your boss to change the time your work day starts?: It really doesn't sound like you have an alarm clock problem.
Doctors have not been able to help. Changing the time I go to work wont help either. I have sleep walk/talk issues and I basically "sleepwalk" and sometimes I will turn off my alarm without remembering anything.

emd023
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 am

Can I use the Raspberry Pi to help me get up in the morning?

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:09 am

Hi everyone,

So...I have some serious problems waking up in the morning. I have tried using several different alarm clock apps however they do not work. My stubborn brain just gets right back in bed. I need something that FORCES me to wake up!

I would like to have an alarm that will not shut off until I am up and showering. Here are some of my ridiculous ideas:
  • • Some kind of keycard scan. Alarm does not go off until bathroom door is closed and keycard is scanned. If the door opens, alarm raises again.
  • • Electric lock that locks me in the bathroom until I shower!
  • • Pressure plate - Alarm stops once I get out of bed, raises again if I get back in and the pressure plate is activated
  • • Maybe something with a motion sensor (PIR sensor)? or Bluetooth
I will definitely pay if someone could make this, or provide the plans/show me how to do it!

**Edit: Please, no sleep advice. I have tried everything. Doctors dont know why im like this. Lets stay on topic lol

Do you think something like this is possible? Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!
Last edited by emd023 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

ElEscalador
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:55 pm
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Contact: Website

Elescalador

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 am

All possible but if you make it, you'll know how to defeat it and will the moment you're groggy and cranky in the morning. Go to bed earlier.
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

User avatar
allfox
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:36 pm
Location: Guang Dong, China

Re: Can I use the Raspberry Pi to help me get up in the morn

Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:15 am

It could be just low suger in blood. Try eat something before go to bed. Something suger. Bread or rice etc. No fat. When get up, drink suger.

Sleep in darkness.

emd023
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 am

Re: Can I use the Raspberry Pi to help me get up in the morn

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:44 am

Please, no sleep advice. I have tried everything. Doctors dont know why im like this. Lets stay on topic lol

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10568
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Can I use the Raspberry Pi to help me get up in the morn

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:57 am

emd023 wrote:Please, no sleep advice. I have tried everything. Doctors dont know why im like this. Lets stay on topic lol
Find another doctor. Repeat as needed.

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 3933
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Can I use the Raspberry Pi to help me get up in the morn

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:32 am

ElEscalador wrote:All possible but if you make it, you'll know how to defeat it and will the moment you're groggy and cranky in the morning.
+1 :o
Please don't try anything that locks you in anywhere. It could have serious consequences if it doesn't unlock. :(
In the morning, think of what you could do with your Pi. Get up and spend some time (whatever you can spare) doing that -- you will get sucked in and getting up will be a delight :D
However, you may need to find a way NOT to do Pi at bedtime. :?
Last edited by davidcoton on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature retired


User avatar
liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5201
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Can I use the Raspberry Pi to help me get up in the morn

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:30 pm

Didn't you post about this earlier this year? I'm going to merge that thread and this (duplicate threads are strongly discouraged round here) - I think the suggestions you got back in May were good ones. (I still stand by using a PIR sensor in your room to see if anyone's moving, or using Open CV to detect whether anyone's in your bed.)

That aside, how far have you gone in talking to your doctor? Have they considered whether you have a sleep disorder like sleep apnea or narcolepsy?

[ETA: thread merged. Old posts appear at the top.]
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”