rgmward

pi resellers - RS or Farnell products?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:56 am

Hi,

With the new news that Farnell are now doing production of the v2 boards in the UK, It got me thinking where do the resellers get their production done?

I am guessing that Maplin are not producting themselves, and are sourcing from either Farnell or RS.

so my question, if I order from Maplin, will I get a V2 UK board, or a chineese one?

also, what other resellers are their? do they do the same as maplin?

Thanks for the enlightenment.

khulat

Re: pi resellers - RS or Farnell products?

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Since RS and Farnell are the only manufacturers every other place that sells has to source from them. At least until the design is open-sourced. After that you will have to ask the one who is selling it.

cutterjohn

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:21 pm

rgmward wrote:Hi,

With the new news that Farnell are now doing production of the v2 boards in the UK, It got me thinking where do the resellers get their production done?

I am guessing that Maplin are not producting themselves, and are sourcing from either Farnell or RS.

so my question, if I order from Maplin, will I get a V2 UK board, or a chineese one?

also, what other resellers are their? do they do the same as maplin?

Thanks for the enlightenment.
I'd hazard that since RS is so incompetently run that they cannot even supply single orders that there's no way that they could justify supplying another re-seller at this point. i.e. they must source from Element 14 as they seem to have figured out how to keep a steady enough stream of pi's coming such that if you're lucky you get same day shipment or at worst a week or two wait.

For people in England/Europe it'll probably be even better once Sony is up and running at full capacity...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:00 pm

I'm not sure where the third parties get their kit from - I'd be really hesitant to guess - it could be either.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

bwoodbury

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:19 pm

CPC and MCM both mention Element 14 on their order pages. Note that CPC is related to Farnell who are part of Element 14
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/besp ... CMP=HP_RPi
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14277

Also note the bottom of this page at CPC references MCM as being part of Premier Farnell (aka Element 14)
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/support/supp ... boutus.jsp

Maplin makes no mention of their supplier
www.maplin.co.uk/raspberrypi

Burngate

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:41 pm

If I were a reseller I would have put an order into both for x Pis, were x is half what I would expect to sell. Then reorder when each was down to half level.
So if one is supplying me much quicker than the other, then that supplier gets my next orders.

Return to “General discussion”