liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: New hi-res pics of the PCBs on the front page

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 pm

I\'ve just taken some much better pics of the naked PCB and put them on the front page. They\'re rather larger than the actual thing, so you can easily make out all the silkscreening, and see the tracking and through holes clearly. Enjoy!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

carlosfm

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:44 pm

The PCB looks gorgeous.
Do you Pi?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:23 pm

So does Kylie Minogue, but to be honest I\'d rather have a Rasp....er....hold on a sec....no, definitely got that the wrong way round.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

dattaway

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm

The board looks nice as my desktop. I want to solder parts on my screen and make it work.

jojopi

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm

I spot at least one tweak since the gerber screenshot last month. The data lines of the front usb port are now connected permanently to the 9512\'s downstream port3 pads, and the extra pair of 0R links corresponding to R36/R37 are missing. That must save at least a quarter of a cent on the Model B.

Any others?

radix

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:32 pm

I have a question. Why are some routes from the CPU crooked (like serpentines) and not straight ? It\'s because of EMI ?

liz

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:34 pm

Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Montekuri

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Time to make a (just for fun) 3D drawing competition?
[img]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/mo ... _board.png[/img]

johnbeetem

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:23 pm

I have a minor suggestion for the next board rev. I would like to have the option of soldering wires directly to the +5V power inputs, bypassing power connector S1. The easiest way for me to do this would be to solder wire loops in the vias in the traces next to S1 pins 1 and 5. If the solder mask were cleared from around those vias it would make soldering the wires a lot easier. Unmasked solder resist has a nasty tendency to fill vias making it hard to stick in a wire and solder it. I would also suggest moving the trace connected to S1 pin 1 a bit further away from S1 pins 2-4.

walney

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:45 pm

[quote]Quote from Montekuri on December 7, 2011, 12:20
Time to make a (just for fun) 3D drawing competition?[/quote]

Errr... that\'s a bluetooth logo on the Broadcom chip...

nullstring

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:46 pm

[quote]Quote from johnbeetem on December 7, 2011, 15:23
I have a minor suggestion for the next board rev. I would like to have the option of soldering wires directly to the +5V power inputs, bypassing power connector S1. The easiest way for me to do this would be to solder wire loops in the vias in the traces next to S1 pins 1 and 5. If the solder mask were cleared from around those vias it would make soldering the wires a lot easier. Unmasked solder resist has a nasty tendency to fill vias making it hard to stick in a wire and solder it. I would also suggest moving the trace connected to S1 pin 1 a bit further away from S1 pins 2-4.[/quote]

FYI, you can wire power input to the 5V rail on the GPIO header. However, this will bypass any power protection

I do agree though. It looks like we could easily get two through holes right next to S1 for those who don\'t want to use S1 but still want the protection circuit.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:07 pm

These pictures are really good, I wish I knew more about PCB design though :)

One question. I read about the decision to leave the GPIO pins themselves out so users can join them to the board on either side as required. Are the pin locations hollow so that, for example, I could make a connector to insert into the holes?

And is the pin with a square connector there so you know what orientation the pins are in? I\'ll guess that is the 5 volt rail?

johnbeetem

Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:34 pm

[quote]Quote from Davespice on December 7, 2011, 17:07
One question. I read about the decision to leave the GPIO pins themselves out so users can join them to the board on either side as required. Are the pin locations hollow so that, for example, I could make a connector to insert into the holes?

And is the pin with a square connector there so you know what orientation the pins are in? I\'ll guess that is the 5 volt rail?[/quote]
The usual practice is to identify Pin 1 of each connector with a square pad. The pinout is described on the RasPi home page with comments here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/384

My understanding is that the holes are open and ready for a standard 0.1\" (2.54mm) pitch connector with 25mil square posts. You can populate it with whatever connector best suits your application and case. For example, if you want to stack a board under RasPi you can use straight pins, or if you want to connect a board next to RasPi you can use right-angle pins. I would personally avoid stacking a board on top because of other RasPi connectors and also because I don\'t want to block airflow to the Broadcom SoC.

PiOfCube

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:06 pm

I\'m going to start doing the 3D work tonight/tomorrow. I\'ve got the textures applied to a basic shape but I need to get all of the individual components made in blender. I won\'t be using any 3D models already published on the \'net so there won\'t be any worries about copyright/licensing as all of the bits I\'ll be publishing will be done so under the Creative Commons (except for the PCB artwork).

I thought I would put a low-res animation here in case anyone wanted it... Hope the forum understands mp4 files ;-)

I\'m not sure if I should bother making the holes as actual holes in the model or just leave them as textured.

I will also create (optional) header pins for the GPIO etc so anyone can make use of those in any tutorial videos.

@liz
I was thinking that it might be best if I just sent you (or someone else on the R-Pi team) the completed models etc so you can put them somewhere on the site if they\'re any good. Probs be best to have one place where it can be downloaded from and at least then, peeps will have to visit the official site before making use of them... Again, if they\'re good enough ;-)
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -

PiOfCube

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:11 pm

Doesn\'t look like mp4 can be sent to the forums...

I\'ll try another format :S

Edit:
Looks like I\'ll have to send it to YouTube...

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66-rGA7GkgA[/embed]
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -

Robert_M

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:53 am

@PiOfCube - Nice work! :-D
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Return to “General discussion”