dpawson

Re: New forum request

Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Could we have a forum for software please.
Not any specific variety, just software for the rpi,
since it is a prime aim?

Dave

amiga65

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:52 am

+1

heradon

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:11 am

i have a forum installed on my server :)

http://raspberry-pi.tk ---> forum
http://raspberry-pi.tk/wiki ---> wiki

DNS fail? (5:11 am)
wait 30min :)

Since I am delighted with the Pi and impatiently wait, I want the users a forum and a wiki to provide disposal so that we can exchange ideas. New administrators and moderators are of course welcome!

Help me to administrate the forum and wiki? write me a email: webmaster@rmatthes.de

LG Heradon

PI! FTW!!

Edit:

when someone like me can also provide webspace, including mysql, php5 and other plugins.

unlimited Traffic
25GB webspace
1 GB / s

Bacan

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:55 am

Heard (read) that a whole new forum is being setup and will be ready for use for 2012.

A Software focus forum seems like a good idea.
As well as one for Hardware and Add-ons.

I would think toward the middle of the year, having a forum section for Educators/Teachers and maybe even one on starting Clubs would also be worth while in having for posting.

And the one with just one entry will be for Error Reports.
The one posting in this section will be saying "Here is where you post your R-Pi problems, aside from not getting them through the Postal Service fast enough.".

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Yup - we'll be rolling out a new forum (and website) early in 2012. We're aware that there are limitations with Mingle (which is basically a Wordpress plugin, and a pretty shonky one at that); we'll move onto something a bit more sturdy and customisable, and which doesn't require Gravatar, and we'll be doing some restructuring too.

I can't express how little I am looking forward to porting everything across to new software, all that said. ;)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

kme

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Quote from liz on December 10, 2011, 22:59
I can't express how little I am looking forward to porting everything across to new software, all that said. ;)Don't bother. Freeze the old one and leave it for reference for three-four months and the kill it off.

This current board is most opinions and guesswork anyway.

liz

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:11 pm

I think there's a lot of useful stuff on here - around the opinions and guesswork, of course but what's a tech forum without all the opinions and guesswork?

I really think it's by far the best outcome if we port the contents of this forum over to any new one. Continuity and all that.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

jojopi

Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Even apart from the fact that it would it be a lot of work, I also see no reason to port the existing forum threads.

Once we all have RPis, discussions will become a lot more concrete. And we know that most threads re-erupt every few weeks anyway.

Burngate

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:31 am

I know it'd be a bit of extra work, but a tidy-up, just porting the interesting bits to the new forum, would be good.
F'rinstance, leave out all the posts by that wazzock Burngate.

PiOfCube

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Quote from liz on December 10, 2011, 23:11
I think there's a lot of useful stuff on here - around the opinions and guesswork, of course but what's a tech forum without all the opinions and guesswork?

I really think it's by far the best outcome if we port the contents of this forum over to any new one. Continuity and all that.

You could always encourage users to collate stuff from these boards and put them on the wiki... Get enough people to put in an hour or so a week (or even half an hour per day) and it might really improve the info as it de-clutters all of the "When's it coming out?" and "The R-Pi should have 64GB RAM" posts etc ;-)
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -

tbar

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:07 am

Quote from kme on December 10, 2011, 23:07
Quote from liz on December 10, 2011, 22:59
I can't express how little I am looking forward to porting everything across to new software, all that said. ;)Don't bother. Freeze the old one and leave it for reference for three-four months and the kill it off.
I totally agree!

barnaby

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:08 am

Forums are a great way to discuss stuff but a terrible way to store useful content. Either get people to add their useful stuff to the wiki and post about it here, or ask them if it's alright if you add it to the website (wiki version better though, I think).

Don't bother porting everything. Start afresh, leaving all the quality content and weird ramblings here, and get some people finding the useful bits and moving them to the wiki.

Cheers,
Barnaby

Return to “General discussion”