shubhamjan12
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:54 am

Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:29 am

I've bought a TL-WN823N wifi dongle from Amazon(http://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WN823N- ... 01b767e672) . It's a 300 MBPS dongle and is working on rtl8192cu driver. The major problem i am facing with this dongle is when i turn off my WiFi router from which my pi was connected then status of wpa_supplicant goes down and it doesn't start again until i restart the networking by "sudo service networking restart". In this case i won't be able to make my pi as Headless. After searching, i found a lot of people are saying that this is a buggy driver and i have also tried after building this driver but no success. So i want a suggestion from RPi folks which is the best 300mbps dongle which works with raspberry pi flawlessly. P.S. I need only 300 Mbps.
Some are suggesting that dongle having Ralink RA5370 chipset is better to use.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:43 am

Why are you turning off your router?
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

shubhamjan12
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:54 am

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:52 am

texy wrote:Why are you turning off your router?
Actually what i am using is not a router, i am creating WiFi hotspot on windows and in my case i have to turn it off and on several time. This problem occurs each time i disable my hotspot and enable it again

mattmiller
Posts: 2114
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:10 am

No idea on which dongle to use but an idea in the meantime would be try a little script that runs say once per minute and tries to talk to your Windows machine - if it can't get thru - then run sudo service networking restart - this might be good enough to get around your problem

shubhamjan12
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:54 am

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:15 am

@mattmiller, Thanks for your suggestion, Yes this work around is useful but in this case when Hotspot is turned off. It will keep restarting network interfaces. As i am using such work around from last 3-4 months but now i want to make it without workaround as our mobile wifi connection keeps itself updated while we are roaming inside and outside the range of wifi.

tweak42
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:16 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:38 am

shubhamjan12 wrote:So i want a suggestion from RPi folks which is the best 300mbps dongle which works with raspberry pi flawlessly. P.S. I need only 300 Mbps.
Some are suggesting that dongle having Ralink RA5370 chipset is better to use.
Does it have to be a tiny dongle? Or can a usb wifi adapter with antenna suffice?

TP-Link TL-WN722N is popular with the Pi crowd. It's only N150 but it may stay connected with better range sensitivity.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... 002SZEOLG/

shubhamjan12
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:54 am

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:06 am

tweak42 wrote:
shubhamjan12 wrote:So i want a suggestion from RPi folks which is the best 300mbps dongle which works with raspberry pi flawlessly. P.S. I need only 300 Mbps.
Some are suggesting that dongle having Ralink RA5370 chipset is better to use.
Does it have to be a tiny dongle? Or can a usb wifi adapter with antenna suffice?

TP-Link TL-WN722N is popular with the Pi crowd. It's only N150 but it may stay connected with better range sensitivity.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... 002SZEOLG/
Hi "tweak42", The major problem in this dongle is, It's 150 mbps but i have to use it for some sort of video streaming purpose so it won't be that good(As i have already tried some 150mbps dongles for my use).

And has anyone checked this dongle if it doesn't have the same issue as i am facing in TL-823WN

User avatar
Forrrge
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 am
Location: Gateshead, UK.

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:21 am

What about using a pair of powerline adapters using the ethernet instead and also a lot faster than a wifi dongle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-V ... ne+adapter

shubhamjan12
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:54 am

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:49 am

Forrrge wrote:What about using a pair of powerline adapters using the ethernet instead and also a lot faster than a wifi dongle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-V ... ne+adapter
Sorry "Forrrge", This is not what i intend to use as i have to make it portable enough to be carry here or there.

tweak42
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:16 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:50 pm

shubhamjan12 wrote:
tweak42 wrote:
shubhamjan12 wrote:So i want a suggestion from RPi folks which is the best 300mbps dongle which works with raspberry pi flawlessly. P.S. I need only 300 Mbps.
Some are suggesting that dongle having Ralink RA5370 chipset is better to use.
Does it have to be a tiny dongle? Or can a usb wifi adapter with antenna suffice?

TP-Link TL-WN722N is popular with the Pi crowd. It's only N150 but it may stay connected with better range sensitivity.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... 002SZEOLG/
Hi "tweak42", The major problem in this dongle is, It's 150 mbps but i have to use it for some sort of video streaming purpose so it won't be that good(As i have already tried some 150mbps dongles for my use).

And has anyone checked this dongle if it doesn't have the same issue as i am facing in TL-823WN
I don't have a TL-WN722N to test, but I did try the mt7601u chipset usb dongle I have.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/MediaTek_MT7601U

Connected a Pi to a wireless AP on my network and then powered off the AP for 10 mins. After powering the AP on the Pi reconnected about 30 seconds after the router started responding to a wired ping. (edit: Pi also reconnected after router off for 24 hours)

The reasons I asked about external antenna, is they tend to maintain bandwidth at longer range than the tiny dongle adapters, therefore a 150Mbps adapter may actually have higher speed than a 300Mbps adapter if they are both far enough away from the AP.

tweak42
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:16 am
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Have you tried this fix, by disabling the power management for the rtl8192cu driver?

Edimax Wifi adapter seems to go to sleep if not used

Kennethhuber1
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:30 am

Re: Best 300Mbps WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi2

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:37 am

Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter: never had any issues and as low-cost unit working well with the Pi is pretty good option.
the term papers

Return to “General discussion”