tomsimmons

Spark appearing on screen

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Randomly I get a yellow spark appear in the top right of the screen, it happens in X or CLI would I be correct in suspecting this is the Pi indicating that there is insufficient power being provided?

Strangely I've found no reference after a quick search of the web.

Tom

Kratos

Re: Spark appearing on screen

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:39 pm

Yes, you are not getting enough amps from your PSU. The icon just changed from a rainbow square to a spark, so that is probably why you couldn't find anything on Google about it.

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:44 pm

tomsimmons wrote:Randomly I get a yellow spark appear in the top right of the screen, it happens in X or CLI would I be correct in suspecting this is the Pi indicating that there is insufficient power being provided?
Strangely I've found no reference after a quick search of the web.
Tom
That is the new version of the "low-voltage" icon, updated shortly before the release of "Raspbian Pixel":
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=82373
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-pixel/
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

klricks

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:35 pm

tomsimmons wrote:...... yellow spark appear in the top right of the screen, ...... Strangely I've found no reference after a quick search of the web.
Most people refer to the icon as a 'lightning bolt' which is why you could not find any hits....
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

ejolson

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:39 pm

klricks wrote:
tomsimmons wrote:...... yellow spark appear in the top right of the screen, ...... Strangely I've found no reference after a quick search of the web.
Most people refer to the icon as a 'lightning bolt' which is why you could not find any hits....
Are low voltage events logged into any log file somewhere? What if running without a monitor connected?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:49 pm

ejolson wrote:
klricks wrote:
Are low voltage events logged into any log file somewhere? What if running without a monitor connected?
The spark/lightning bolt** is the second of two low-voltage warnings - the primary one, which does not require a monitor, but does require visibility of the Pi, is flickering of the PoWeR led which, IIRC, is directly driven by the low-voltage detection circuit (in parallel? with the GPIO which can be monitored by the software/O.S. - original description will be buried somewhere in early Pi B+ threads) Don't know if low voltage events are logged, IIRC, the "icon" is overwritten to the display by the GPU directly not via the O.S.
Trev.
**originally an iconified version of the RGB splashcreen
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

jahboater

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Try "vcgencmd get_throttled"
This returns a hex number in which the following bits may be set:-

0: under-voltage
1: arm frequency capped
2: currently throttled
16: under-voltage has occurred
17: arm frequency capped has occurred
18: throttling has occurred

ejolson

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:03 am

jahboater wrote:Try "vcgencmd get_throttled"
This returns a hex number in which the following bits may be set:-

0: under-voltage
1: arm frequency capped
2: currently throttled
16: under-voltage has occurred
17: arm frequency capped has occurred
18: throttling has occurred
Thank you. Under-voltage has occurred and throttling had occurred look useful. Do you think it is possible to reset them?

davidcoton

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:06 am

ejolson wrote:Thank you. Under-voltage has occurred and throttling had occurred look useful. Do you think it is possible to reset them?
The first three are current status (non-latched). The others reset on reboot. IDK if it's possible to reset programmatically -- search for "vcgencmd" on the forums and in the documentation on this site, there are several bits of info from the insiders.
Signature retired

ejolson

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:38 pm

davidcoton wrote:The first three are current status (non-latched). The others reset on reboot. IDK if it's possible to reset programmatically -- search for "vcgencmd" on the forums and in the documentation on this site, there are several bits of info from the insiders.
I seems reasonable the latched bits reset upon boot. I would like to log them, then reset them.

DavidS

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:47 pm

ejolson wrote:
davidcoton wrote:The first three are current status (non-latched). The others reset on reboot. IDK if it's possible to reset programmatically -- search for "vcgencmd" on the forums and in the documentation on this site, there are several bits of info from the insiders.
I seems reasonable the latched bits reset upon boot. I would like to log them, then reset them.
Then use:

Code: Select all

#vcgencmd get_throttled >> pathto/mylogfile.ext
That will append the output to the file. Replace 'pathto' with the path to where you have your logfile, and replace 'mylogfile.ext' with the name of your logfile.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

ejolson

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:43 pm

DavidS wrote:Then use:

Where do you reset the latched bits, or does it happen automatically?

DavidS

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:13 pm

ejolson wrote:
DavidS wrote:Then use:

Where do you reset the latched bits, or does it happen automatically?
Example is for the log file.

To reset the bits, only way
I know is to reboot.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

davidcoton

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:44 pm

ejolson wrote:Where do you reset the latched bits, or does it happen automatically?
So Google didn't work for you?
From this thread
dom wrote:
Also what resets bits 16 - 18 ? I'm currently running through a battery and notice that the value of the vcgencmd output is:
throttled=0x50000 but have no idea when the last "has occurred" took place.
There are designed to be persistent since boot, as that is the only safe way of multiple users being able to read them.
However I did add a secret option.

vcgencmd get_throttled 0x7
Will read a different persistent value, and reset the bitmask specified back to zero.
Be aware that if multiple scripts start using this, you will be clearing each others results, hence why it is not recommended.

vcgencmd get_throttled (without the bitmask specified) will always give you persistent values since boot (even if you have also been using the bitmask form).
I assume that the 0x7 bitmask relte4s to all three of the latched bits (16-18), so you can rset the bits selectively, but I haven't tried ir
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”