MattHawkinsUK

Re: Check out this guy's pitching skills!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 pm

I think it best to get his address. I would be happy to send him a little something in the post.

Please ask him to post the URL of his news article. We are all waiting to read it!
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:01 pm

You see, you guys are *exactly* why I didn't publish his email address.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

crundy

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:09 pm

liz wrote:You see, you guys are *exactly* why I didn't publish his email address.
I've got the details of a few nigerian princes he might be interested in talking to.

SSilver2k2

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:26 pm

I am in awe of Eben's responses. I don't think I would have kept that cool or come up with well articulated answers once the conversation went that far off the deep end.
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
PiPLAY - http://piplay.org
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet

Jim JKla

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:26 pm

I would send him a Raspberry Pie (but only a very small one) a reward for percistance. Of course I would need to make shure it was kosher. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

toxibunny

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:39 pm

1. Thread title was too restrained ;)
2. Eben was much cooler than I would have been.

Thanks for the laugh 10/10 would read again XD
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

agalu

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:23 am

I need to learn a lot from you people.

wallarug

Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:20 am

liz wrote:You see, you guys are *exactly* why I didn't publish his email address.
So you have his address?

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:52 am

Whenever people ask me why I worked so hard to get to live and work in SillyCon Valley, I tell them about in-DUH-viduals like "Steve" who permeate the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut Tri-state metro area where I grew up. I was so disgusted being around such "Steves" (and their cousins on "The Jersey Shore") that as soon as I graduated from high school I beat feet somewhere, ANYWHERE away from there to attend undergraduate school, wound up with a commission in the Navy, and spent the next 22 years seeing the world, as the recruiting posters back then suggested. I guess I overshot a bit and lived on five other continents (I'm still eyeballin' ya, Antarctica :) ) before finally landing in SillyCon Valley.

Sometimes I get so tired of hearing "Steves" complain that I just wish the tactical operation would be carried out that Billy Joel sang about in his song, "Miami 2017":

Seen the lights go out Broadway,
I saw the Empire State laid low,
and life went on beyond the Palisades.
They all bought Cadillacs
and left there long ago.

They held a concert out in Brooklyn
to watch the island bridges blow.
They turned our power down,
and drove us underground,
but, we went right on with the showwwwww.

I've seen the lights go out on Broadway,
I saw the ruins at my feet.
You know we almost didn't notice it,
we'd seen it all the time on Forty Second Street.

They burned the churches down in Harlem,
like in that Spanish Civil War.
The flames were everywhere,
but, no one really cared,
it always burned up there before.

I've seen the lights go out on Broadway,
I saw the mighty skyline fall.
The boats were waiting at the Battery,
the union went on strike,
they never sailed at all.

They sent a carrier out from Norfolk,
and picked the Yankees up for free.
They said the Queens could stay,
and blew the Bronx away,
and sank Manhattan out at seeeeea.

You know those lights were bright on Broadway,
that was so many years ago,
before we all lived here in Florida,
before the Mafia took over Mexico.

There are not many who remember,
they say a handful still survive,
to tell the world about
the way the lights went out,
and keep the memory alive.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

rasbeer

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Sheesh Jim, I'm normally quite a fan of your posts. But I don't quite know to read this one. One interpretation would be "I left the Tristate area to get away from pushy ignorant Jews and Italians and wish some calamity upon them." Well I've never been there. And where you live etc is obviously a personal decision.

But why give Steve ammunition? And what about the non-pushy ones who just get on with their lives?

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:33 am

rasbeer wrote:Sheesh Jim, I'm normally quite a fan of your posts. But I don't quite know to read this one. One interpretation would be "I left the Tristate area to get away from pushy ignorant Jews and Italians and wish some calamity upon them." Well I've never been there.
You need to realize that Billy Joel is being sarcastic in his lyrics about where we both grew up, and so am I, albeit to a more severe degree. If you haven't "lived" there (if you can call it "living"), you probably wouldn't understand. It's not ethnic groups I abhor - some of my ancestors were victims of the "Irish need not apply" era over a century ago, and I shared dorm rooms with people in college who some from the early 1970s South refused to do (if you get my drift).

Your adjectives "pushy" and "ignorant" are spot-on in describing part of a pervasive attitude among a significant enough fraction of the population across all ethnicities in that area that anyone who is intelligent enough and able to escape, does. I do return to the area to visit relatives and friends who haven't been so lucky, but, never for more than a few days at a time - it's all I can stand.

Maybe it was living nuts-to-butts on ships for over a decade, but, I've never been a big fan of cities, anyway. If it weren't for the occasional decent museum, planetarium, zoo, aquarium, etc., I would have absolutely no reason to put up with the omnipresent urban smell of urine and much, much, worse (e.g., during a garbage collection strike), not to mention the crime and diseases. The wide-open spaces of the U.S. West suit me juuuuuust fine, and the more open and farther away from the madding crowds, the better.

The expansive reach of the Internet has made the need to continuously congregate in overpopulated clumps a complete anachronism. I don't care how good the food and entertainment are in metroplexes - beyond occasional visits, it's not worth it to live with the filth, crime, and diseases, to say nothing of those pushy and ignorant species (they've devolved into something other than homo sapiens, as far as I'm concerned).
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

biwa7636

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:00 am

liz wrote:Eben just called to say the conversation is still ongoing, only Steve has not noticed that Eben has switched to Eliza mode. I am currently wondering who will get bored and wander off first.
Just curious.... what is Eliza mode?

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:24 am

biwa7636 wrote:
liz wrote:Eben just called to say the conversation is still ongoing, only Steve has not noticed that Eben has switched to Eliza mode. I am currently wondering who will get bored and wander off first.
Just curious.... what is Eliza mode?
It's a reference to a sort of pseudo-AI that responds to text. The program is capable, with some people, of passing a Turing test...and that says more about the person interacting with it than it does about the program.

Here is the Wikipedia link that describes the original (from 1966): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

Mortimer

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:11 am

--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 am

As you get these quite often it seems - can you please post more ;)

T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:07 pm

texy wrote:As you get these quite often it seems - can you please post more ;)

T.
They're probably pretty dull after the first 3 or 4...

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:39 pm

"let the pi public decide!"
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Jim JKla

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Yes we will tell you quick enough if we get bored. :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Mortimer

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Don't worry I won't bother any more.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Return to “General discussion”