mcmelectronics

Stock at MCM Electronics

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 pm

We wanted to stop by and say thanks for all the recent RPi orders. We're busy shipping new orders and all backorders that were placed with us late last week should have been filled by now.

Our current status is that we've still got stock - some of which is allotted specifically to the bundles we're selling, which can all be found on our site here: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/e ... spberry-pi

We're working on bringing in more Raspberry Pi specific accessories, including some of Adafruit's great stuff. We're hoping to see that next week, with more later on.

We'd also like to address some of the questions we've gotten over twitter, et all:
  • Do the latest batch have polyfuses replaced? - Yes, the units we've checked from this batch have zero ohm resistors in F1 and F2.
  • Will you ship to...? - We ship to North America. If you're in the UK, you can check our sister company, CPC, who still have stock.
Other notes:
  • We have a holiday coming up on Monday, the 3rd, when we'll be closed.
  • We may or may not be running a special on shipping starting tomorrow :)
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics
facebook.com/mcmelectronics

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Stock at MCM Electronics

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks guys - and welcome to the forums!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

CPC.co.uk

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 am

Yes, yes, yes we're here now as well :)
http://www.cpc.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/cpc.co.uk
https://twitter.com/cpc_tweet

woopderson

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi MCM!

Just a quick inquiry: I placed an order on the 21st of August, and it is listed as shipped. But the total price for the pi is listed as $35, and no shipping cost has been added (it has remained at TBD despite the pi being shipped).

The pi is being shipped into Canada, so I can't imagine the shipping cost to be that high... but I am curious!
It also appears to have been stuck at customs for almost 5 days now, but I know that is out of your hands. =/

Glad to see that you are making an active presence on the forums!

adafruit

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:40 pm

+1 awesome to see mcm here, at adafruit we can only pick a few distributors as we ramp up on our line of pi related products, MCM has been fantastic to work with.

mcmelectronics

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:42 pm

woopderson wrote:Hi MCM!

Just a quick inquiry: I placed an order on the 21st of August, and it is listed as shipped. But the total price for the pi is listed as $35, and no shipping cost has been added (it has remained at TBD despite the pi being shipped).

The pi is being shipped into Canada, so I can't imagine the shipping cost to be that high... but I am curious!
It also appears to have been stuck at customs for almost 5 days now, but I know that is out of your hands. =/

Hey there - yes, due to the large variance in duties and fees, we can't accurately quote shipping costs for you folks online. If you just bought the Pi, or one of the bundles, it will have gone out in our smallest shipping box, so the price should be reasonable on shipping.

Not sure about the customs bit. Let us know if there is anything we can do there.
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics

woopderson

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:11 pm

mcmelectronics wrote:

Hey there - yes, due to the large variance in duties and fees, we can't accurately quote shipping costs for you folks online. If you just bought the Pi, or one of the bundles, it will have gone out in our smallest shipping box, so the price should be reasonable on shipping.

Not sure about the customs bit. Let us know if there is anything we can do there.

No problem! I will keep you informed in this post. Thanks for the quick response!

PompPenguin

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 pm

Hello MCM!
I just wanted to say that you guys are doing a great job! I placed my order on 8/30/12 and it is already being shipped :D I called customer service with some questions and they were extremely helpful! I will definitely be shopping with you guys again

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:56 am

Something to watch out for...

One of the "you may also want to buy" items listed with the Pi is a 7 port "powered" USB hub...nice...except... The power unit is an additional item AND the power unit the recommend for it is 5v at 1A. To comply with standards, a 7 port hub should have a power supply rated for AT LEAST 3.5A at that voltage (7 * 500mA per port), and probably 4A to power the hub circuitry as well.

Edit to add... The other USB hub they "recommend" (by clciking on the USB image on the peripheral breakout image) is a 4-port UNPOWERED hub. Yeah...like that's going to work with a Pi....

mcmelectronics

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:45 am

W.H.,
Good catch. We'll address both of those issues first thing next week. Thanks for the feedback!
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics

the_dude

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:36 am

awesome service guys, ordered 9:30 yesterday (31st august) from cpc, delivered today (1st September) at 10:00...

VanHalen

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:03 pm

PompPenguin wrote:Hello MCM!
I just wanted to say that you guys are doing a great job! I placed my order on 8/30/12 and it is already being shipped
Same here, looking forward to getting my Pi next week.

Alligator

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:50 am

What? I also placed an order on 8/30 and have heard nothing! No email to confirm the order, no shipping notice, nothing. Bummer!

mcmelectronics

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Alligator wrote:What? I also placed an order on 8/30 and have heard nothing! No email to confirm the order, no shipping notice, nothing. Bummer!
Hmm. That doesn't sound right. I'll be glad to look into it first thing on Tuesday if you message me your info.
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics

Alligator

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks for agreeing to help. I sent a PM. The lack of email confirmation was the most concerning.

woopderson

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:44 am

woopderson wrote:
mcmelectronics wrote:

No problem! I will keep you informed in this post. Thanks for the quick response!

Update:

Package arrive on Friday Aug 31st. Looks like Canada Post just failed to update the tracking page. Thanks much for the quick delivery! You have acquired a loyal customer!

mcmelectronics

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Glad to hear it!
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics

BlueCop

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:44 am

I ordered 4 of "No/OS" Raspberry Pi Basic Bundles. They should arrive tomorrow. I am excited to finally get some to play with.

They were listed as having a 1000ma 5v power supply on their order page. The email invoice I received from the company listed them as 700ma from the inventory system. If the email invoice is correct and you are shipping 700ma power supplies could you change the ordering pages to be accurate to what your are shipping.

Will this power supply be sufficient to allow attaching usb devices to the pi? I thought it was 500ma per port on spec.

I also don't understand the power-able usb hub being sold without a power supply for use with the pi? This seems like a setup to disappoint the customer. I wouldn't ascribe this to ignorance rather then malice but it still seems unfriendly to the customer.

Hitgrrl

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:00 am

Just found this post and most excitedly just placed an order for a much hard to find Raspberry Pi! As a computer teacher at my school (part time for now, I'm their sys admin full time), I have been trying to get these RP's for my class. I have ordered one for now, and will surely order more through my school's funding as soon as I can!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:15 am

BlueCop wrote:I ordered 4 of "No/OS" Raspberry Pi Basic Bundles. They should arrive tomorrow. I am excited to finally get some to play with.

They were listed as having a 1000ma 5v power supply on their order page. The email invoice I received from the company listed them as 700ma from the inventory system. If the email invoice is correct and you are shipping 700ma power supplies could you change the ordering pages to be accurate to what your are shipping.

Will this power supply be sufficient to allow attaching usb devices to the pi? I thought it was 500ma per port on spec.

I also don't understand the power-able usb hub being sold without a power supply for use with the pi? This seems like a setup to disappoint the customer. I wouldn't ascribe this to ignorance rather then malice but it still seems unfriendly to the customer.
The usual figure given is that the power supply should provide 700mA. Up until recently, each USB port was limited to 140mA (280mA total on the two) and the "main fuse" (F3) on the board is set for 1.1A, as I understand.

What it comes down to, is that 700mA will run a Pi just fine (I've done so--but it was a good quality 700mA supply). Better is a 1000mA supply.

You will *not* be able to pull 500mA on USB ports. Stick to low current devices.

And I agree with you...a hub sold as "powered" really ought to come with a power supply...and one that can provide enough to supply 500mA on every port it has, simultaneously (that is, I am given to undestand, the USB 2.0 spec), which means a 4-port hub should have a power supply that can provide MORE than 2A (gotta have some power for the hub circuitry, too).

Trying to use an passive hub on a Pi really isn't going to work...on that point you are absolutely correct.

mcmelectronics

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:19 pm

BlueCop wrote:I ordered 4 of "No/OS" Raspberry Pi Basic Bundles. They should arrive tomorrow. I am excited to finally get some to play with.

Sorry for the confusion. We're changing the product pages to reflect the appropriate power supply today. We have also have changed our recommendation for a USB hub to a unit that includes a power supply and provides up to 1.5a to all four ports (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/D ... -/83-12399). It's a little more expensive, but you're right - it should be a more customer friendly solution.

Thanks for the feedback.
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics

llamabox

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:35 pm

I just wanted to give MCM a BIG thumbs up and a huge thanks. Had I not ordered from your guys, I'd still be waiting for my RPi until at least October!

I placed an order mid August and got my pi in 3 days. It took me three times longer to get a refund for my order with someone else than it took to ship to me...

Thanks!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:43 pm

mcmelectronics wrote: Sorry for the confusion. We're changing the product pages to reflect the appropriate power supply today. We have also have changed our recommendation for a USB hub to a unit that includes a power supply and provides up to 1.5a to all four ports (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/D ... -/83-12399). It's a little more expensive, but you're right - it should be a more customer friendly solution.

Thanks for the feedback.
Both good moves...and it's nice to see the right things done, and done in a timely manner. AND responding here is the right thing to do.

HOWEVER...1.5A power supply for a 4-port hub still doesn't meet the USB 2.0 specification. (Think what will happen if someone connects 4 devices that each want 500mA...)

mcmelectronics

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: HOWEVER...1.5A power supply for a 4-port hub still doesn't meet the USB 2.0 specification. (Think what will happen if someone connects 4 devices that each want 500mA...)
The power supply that comes with this unit is a 5V 4A power supply, not a 1.5A power supply, per the product page (see specifications, under product description). The product page states that it can provide up to 1.5A of power to any port, not that the power supply is 1.5A.
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics

W. H. Heydt

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:25 am

mcmelectronics wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: HOWEVER...1.5A power supply for a 4-port hub still doesn't meet the USB 2.0 specification. (Think what will happen if someone connects 4 devices that each want 500mA...)
The power supply that comes with this unit is a 5V 4A power supply, not a 1.5A power supply, per the product page (see specifications, under product description). The product page states that it can provide up to 1.5A of power to any port, not that the power supply is 1.5A.
Excellent! And thanks for responding.

Return to “General discussion”