icabero0225

Looking for a plug 'n play screen?

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 am

Hey all,

So I just bought a raspberry pi, it should get here via mail tomorrow. I was wondering if there were any raspberry pi screens that I can just plug in and use, or maybe one that requires some setup but nothing too crazy, like sodering, since I don't have access to those tools.

I don't want any fancy touchscreens or anything with buttons, just cheap screen, preferrably under 5 inches.

Any thoughts?

Ignacio Cabero

icabero0225

Re: Looking for a plug 'n play screen?

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Also, it must be cross-platform. I don't want to have to install a custom OS just so that the screen can work.

klricks

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:14 pm

icabero0225 wrote:Hey all,

So I just bought a raspberry pi, it should get here via mail tomorrow. I was wondering if there were any raspberry pi screens that I can just plug in and use, or maybe one that requires some setup but nothing too crazy, like sodering, since I don't have access to those tools.

I don't want any fancy touchscreens or anything with buttons, just cheap screen, preferrably under 5 inches.

Any thoughts?

Ignacio Cabero
Your only option is the RPF 7" screen https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... h-display/
OR any HDMI screen.
Other types of screens can require extensive OS configuration.
I don't know of any screen that requires soldering.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

icabero0225

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:24 pm

Oh, I see. So HDMI screens don't require any custom OS's?

CarlRJ

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:31 pm

icabero0225 wrote:Oh, I see. So HDMI screens don't require any custom OS's?
Nope, that's the beauty of HDMI and the Raspberry Pi - the port's there, you plug in any HDMI normal monitor and the display appears on it. If you use a monitor that needs special timing/modes (as some small/specialized ones do - I have a 10" LCD HDMI monitor like that), then you'll probably have to add a mode line into /boot/config.txt, but that's a one-time thing, not especially difficult, and should take care of any OS you load since it is processed early in the Pi's boot process.

Custom-patched OS's are generally for displays that plug directly into the Pi's GPIO header, and many of those can now be handled - on Raspbian - by loading a driver at boot time rather than needing a patched kernel, as support for them was added to Raspbian.

Gentle suggestion: if you're just starting out with the Pi, stick with Raspbian until such point that you've become well-versed in it and find it doesn't meet your needs. The experience you gain will serve you well on the other OS's and Raspbian is what 80-90% of the other users are running, so support is much easier to find for it.

There is a company that makes smallish screens for the Pi that fit on top but use HDMI for the video and USB for the touchscreen, for decent prices, but the name escapes me at the moment. Perhaps someone else can supply it.

tinylcd

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:08 am

hello

below is one more option you can have a look

in case your budget is less or need a smaller scree there are other options also available on the same website

http://www.neosecsolutions.com//product ... 5&cPath=25

regards
tinylcd

Return to “General discussion”