CaptSunset

Ideal AC/USB Outlet for US/Canadian users?

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi guys-

I'm wondering if any Pi people are using AC wall receptacles such as the Pass& Seymour GFI designs, which it appears could eliminate the need for a wallwart. They are rated between 2.1 & 4 amps, but I don't yet know if they are current-limited.

They come in several layouts; the basic 2 USB + 1 US 3-prong seems very handy for the common configuration of an HDMI monitor and Pi power supply. One has 4 USB outlets (and I have 4 Pis :) ).
(I also have a nice old desktop days power strip that was built with standard receptacles, with an On/Off switch too.)

Also- is there such a wall receptacle for all the 230V folks in the UK, Australia, China, Denmark, etc?

davidcoton

Re: Ideal AC/USB Outlet for US/Canadian users?

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:35 pm

CaptSunset wrote: Also- is there such a wall receptacle for all the 230V folks in the UK, Australia, China, Denmark, etc?
There's a large selection in the UK, more than 40 in one trade catalogue. I haven't tried one for a Pi (they are a bit pricey compared with standard sockets), but no reason why they shouldn't work. Note that in the UK the current rating is overall, not per socket. But the higher current versions look good even for Pi plus disk systems.
Signature retired

CaptSunset

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:07 am

higher current versions look good even for Pi plus disk systems

David, good point; they do make one that fits in standard box but they squeeze in 2 3 prong ACs and 2 USBs, and it is kinda pricey.

As far as the cost, my last wallwart cost me U$ 8.50 when you factor in shipping, and a local big box outfit has the P&S 2 USB/1 AC unit on sale for only a few bucks more and no shipping. Also thanks for reminding me there are other receptacles out there; I don't actually need the GFI if I carefully balance my coffee cup on top of the monitor ;)

klricks

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:50 am

This might be an option at half the price of the in wall USB outlets:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-6- ... t+with+usb

For me any place that I have a RPi setup is not convenient to a wall outlet without using a multi-outlet strip. This would be good for me but I don't have one: https://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-3-Outle ... 6125011_10
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

davidcoton

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 am

CaptSunset wrote:my last wallwart cost me U$ 8.50 when you factor in shipping, and a local big box outfit has the P&S 2 USB/1 AC unit on sale for only a few bucks more and no shipping.
Maybe, but I can't move USB outlets around the house like I can move a wallwart. And I'm not always close enough to a wall outlet (long USB power cables can cause low voltage issues).
Signature retired

CaptSunset

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Guys thanks much for helping me think this through...
I have about a dozen walwarts in use; some permanent (like the HTPC Pi), some frequent (like phone, tablet & camera chargers), and some occasional (like my Pi photo projects). Only the last do any moving around, and for that I use a booster cell battery anyway. Oh, and forgot the LiPo chargers.
But in this supposedly wireless world, my workspace is cluttered with near identical power supplies and some (like the Droid and the TYLT) have obnoxiously sized transformers that block surrounding receptacles.

So now I'm thinking you're right; the ideal device should have it's own cord, and be like a mini UPS built around battery booster tech combined with a couple (now extra-cheap) USB 2 four-out hubs, as they are only needed for power and not data transfer. The AC side in a typical small UPS like APCs still has plenty of dead air to include a 12V>5V regulator board. Oh dang, another project...
but the length of the USB cables is still an issue. hmmm.

Return to “General discussion”