lenxiii

Can a USB monitor work with pi3?

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:19 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to PI and the forums! I've been doing some reading on various projects and am really enjoying playing around with the pi3 so far. I have made a retro pie sd card, and just finished my plex server with working 3.5" waveshare lcd.

After more playing around I was trying to figure out how to run my waveshare 3.5 plugged in to the GPIO header and an HDMI monitor working at the same time. This does not seem to be easy to do...I did stumble upon that youtube video with no audio that appears to show how to do it with a vga adapter - but given my n00bness to the pi I'm not sure I could follow along well with no audio.

So I was looking at things on amazon and came across these 19" USB monitors that say they work with linux. Ignoring the fact that usb power might be an issue, has anyone tried using a USB monitor? Would they be easier to get working properly and simultaneously with the waveshare given they use their own onboard hardware to control the GPU processing or whatever...as in they don't rely on the pi having any special gpu capabilities.

Just a thought...I tried doing some searches on these forums but didn't come across anything. Anyway...this looks like an amazing community and I'm excited to join everyone and attempt many projects. My next goal is a NAS server for work and then eventually step up to a higher end IN-CAR setup to replace my radio and add functionality to the vehicle!

-Len

klricks

Re: Can a USB monitor work with pi3?

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:00 am

There are some old web articles of someone getting a USB MIMO monitor working with an original RPi B. A Google search will bring them up. Getting it to work required compiling and installing a kernel. There was no indication given as to if this actually worked in a feasible or usable way.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

twells8

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Hello,

You are able to use strictly a USB monitor with a Raspberry Pi. Normally you have to recompile the kernal and install the displaylink software for it to be used as a primary monitor. Also, Pi's do not provide adequate enough power usually so a powered USB hub is required.

I am not familiar with a 19' screen that is USB powered, seems a little oversized for USB only, I do know that 7" and 10" screens from Mimo work. Here is the blog stating the process with Ubuntu 14.04 and newer. https://www.mimomonitors.com/blogs/mimo ... -and-newer

Thinkcat

Tue May 08, 2018 12:23 am

Is there any hope with this: https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Monitors/MB168BPlus/

That is the Asus 15" portable Full HD display.

I'd love to use it as the primary or only display on a Pi that I would use as a portable desktop replacement.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 08, 2018 4:56 am

Thinkcat wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:23 am
Is there any hope with this: https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Monitors/MB168BPlus/

That is the Asus 15" portable Full HD display.

I'd love to use it as the primary or only display on a Pi that I would use as a portable desktop replacement.

The Raspberry Pi does not have a USB3 BUS which is needed for I/O !!!!!!
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

mic_s

Tue May 08, 2018 8:18 am

USB3 is not needed here.
That said "USB20 connection may affect brightness settings and image quality" (https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Monitors/MB168BPlus/)

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 08, 2018 5:02 pm

mic_s wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:18 am
USB3 is not needed here.
That said "USB20 connection may affect brightness settings and image quality" (https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Monitors/MB168BPlus/)

Yes USB2 connection is OK for text, but try YouTube or similar the picture buffers, but if one to spend £100 to find out go ahead, trial and error.
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

petersmith69

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 am

hey,
i was searching for the same question and just saw this forum discussion. your answers solved my doubts on a great extent. i had FreeAccount which made my work more easier , it was like cherry on the cake !
thank you,
best regards
peter.
Last edited by petersmith69 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hajob

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:00 pm

The topic is a bit old but I can add some information to it.

The Asus USB Monitor does work on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ for example. So it does work with USB 2.0.

But - the tricky thing here is the power supply. You need to take a USB hub with own power supply, connect the Asus monitor to it and then the USB hub to the Raspberry Pi.

Also, you want to power the Raspberry Pi with a power cable as well. Powering the Raspberry Pi with the same USB hub DOES WORK - but you see a lot of "undervoltage detected".

I have a nice 15" wall clock now - with a crystal clear display and displaying some information from my smart home as well (a website with php/javascript, running in Chrome).

Today we had tried the same with a Raspberry Pi 4 but it did NOT work. As soon as you plugged the power cable into the USB hub, the Pi did not boot or stopped operation. We were surprised about this, especially since it has USB 3.0 ports and we thought the monitor might even run without additional power (through a USB hub). So I kept the Raspberry Pi 3 for this setup.

youngone

Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:43 pm

hajob wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:00 pm
The topic is a bit old but I can add some information to it.

The Asus USB Monitor does work on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ for example. So it does work with USB 2.0.

But - the tricky thing here is the power supply. You need to take a USB hub with own power supply, connect the Asus monitor to it and then the USB hub to the Raspberry Pi.

Also, you want to power the Raspberry Pi with a power cable as well. Powering the Raspberry Pi with the same USB hub DOES WORK - but you see a lot of "undervoltage detected".

I have a nice 15" wall clock now - with a crystal clear display and displaying some information from my smart home as well (a website with php/javascript, running in Chrome).

Today we had tried the same with a Raspberry Pi 4 but it did NOT work. As soon as you plugged the power cable into the USB hub, the Pi did not boot or stopped operation. We were surprised about this, especially since it has USB 3.0 ports and we thought the monitor might even run without additional power (through a USB hub). So I kept the Raspberry Pi 3 for this setup.

Can you add links to the hardware /software that you used to get this display to work.

tamias

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 am

I managed to get a USB 3.0 monitor AOCI1659FWUX working on my Pi 4.

I based it on this post, but with some updates: https://support.displaylink.com/knowled ... spberry-pi
DisplayLink driver version 4.4 can be used on Raspbian. The tests have been done using kernel 4.14.62-v7, Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (Debian Stretch).

In order to run it do the following steps:
  • Run $ sudo raspi-config
    Then choose Advanced Options, GL Driver, and finally Full KMS (recommended) or Fake KMS.
    Reboot in order to make the change effective.
    Install dkms and kernel header files, e.g. via apt: $ sudo apt install dkms raspberrypi-kernel-headers
    Install DisplayLink binaries via .run file. DO NOT connect the device yet.
    Reboot.
    After booting, connect the device. The screen won't be added automatically, so call $ xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0 (or equivalent, if using other tools) Refer to $ xrandr --listproviders and $ xrandr --help to get the list of the appropriate parameters.
    Enable the screen e.g. via xrandr: $ xrandr --output DVI-I-1-1 --on --auto The monitor connected to DisplayLink screen should display the first frame, then freeze.
    Restart display manager, e.g. by calling $ sudo service lightdm restart
    The desktop should appear on the monitor connected to the docking station, internal monitor should be disabled.
Known Issues:
  • Booting with DisplayLink device connected results in a crash.
    After enabling DisplayLink screen, switching back to internal video output requires a reboot. Both screens are visible in xrandr but trying to switch them results in an error.
    Total resolution limit for all screens is 2048x2048.
    In case resolution limit is reached, please use display settings, xrandr or similar tool to set resolution before enabling the screen.
    Switching to a virtual console requires the monitor to be connected to internal display output, e.g. HDMI.
I was only able to install the most recent DisplayLink binary drivers (5.2, not 4.4) and only Fake KMS existed in raspi-config, but this worked.

After rebooting, the display flickered on and off quickly, which I found to be a power issue (apparently the Pi 4 doesn't supply enough even through USB 3.0). But using the attached Y-cable. Once I supplied the second part of the Y-cable to an external USB supply, the display remained blank until I used the xrandr commands (although I had to drop the --on flag from the second command, since this no longer exists).

The display came to life and I now have an 8W 1920x1080 USB powered monitor on my Pi 4!

Return to “General discussion”