Page 1 of 1

Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:56 am
by skspurling
I am looking for something like a video conferencing (AV streaming) web page that can run on the PI as a web service, where you can have 2 way communications with people through a USB MIC, and the Pi camera, and a remote system logged into a web page. I was looking at something that used some HTML 5 extensions, but wasn't sure if anyone had done something like this before. I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done some ground work.

Thanks

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:47 am
by fruitoftheloom
skspurling wrote:I am looking for something like a video conferencing (AV streaming) web page that can run on the PI as a web service, where you can have 2 way communications with people through a USB MIC, and the Pi camera, and a remote system logged into a web page. I was looking at something that used some HTML 5 extensions, but wasn't sure if anyone had done something like this before. I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done some ground work.

Thanks
??? http://www.linux-projects.org/rpi-video ... e-demo-os/

.

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:46 am
by skspurling
Wow, out of all the google and goduckgo searches, this one never came up. Thanks.

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:39 pm
by RpiName
skspurling wrote:Wow, out of all the google and goduckgo searches, this one never came up. Thanks.
what search terms did you use with google? with "raspberrypi videoconferencing" that is actually the 5th position here. not bad.

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:41 pm
by skspurling
Not much documentation on it. Is there some kind of associate project?

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:44 pm
by RpiName
skspurling wrote:Not much documentation on it. Is there some kind of associate project?
what documentation do you think is missing?

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:52 pm
by SonOfAMotherlessGoat
skspurling wrote:Not much documentation on it. Is there some kind of associate project?
http://www.linux-projects.org/uv4l/
Second line of the article I believe.

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:53 pm
by skspurling
Yeah, I saw that. Interesting. I thought it was just an extention of the V4L project to support the Pi. There's a lot more there than I thought. Guess I need to dig into it to find out more on the API's. This is actually pretty on target for what I was looking for.

I just wish it told how the demo was put together instead of saying "Hey, download this!" Although, after years of battling years of Linux tools with weird dependencies, I should not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Thanks

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:15 pm
by skspurling
RpiName wrote:
skspurling wrote:Not much documentation on it. Is there some kind of associate project?
what documentation do you think is missing?
Really, mostly just what was in the demo image and how it was put together. I started poking around after that and was looking at the UV4L. I thought it was just a video for linux adaptation, but the rest of it makes it really interesting. I was thinking, "Oh, so they used Video 4 Linux drivers to get video for this tool, but how is the tool made?" And, frankly, there's nothing that says how it was made, just how to use it. That was before I started realizing UV4L was doing the heavy lifting.

The names kind of unfortunate if you don't read the features page. Still trying to figure out what the U means. Been familiar with V4L since my connectix paralell port quickcam back before Logitec bought them out.

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:22 pm
by SonOfAMotherlessGoat
skspurling wrote:Still trying to figure out what the U means. Been familiar with V4L since my connectix paralell port quickcam back before Logitec bought them out.
User-space implementation of the V4L. UV4L.

Re: Audio Video interaction through http?

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:51 pm
by RpiName
skspurling wrote:Really, mostly just what was in the demo image and how it was put together. I started poking around after that and was looking at the UV4L. I thought it was just a video for linux adaptation, but the rest of it makes it really interesting. I was thinking, "Oh, so they used Video 4 Linux drivers to get video for this tool, but how is the tool made?" And, frankly, there's nothing that says how it was made, just how to use it. That was before I started realizing UV4L was doing the heavy lifting.

The names kind of unfortunate if you don't read the features page. Still trying to figure out what the U means. Been familiar with V4L since my connectix paralell port quickcam back before Logitec bought them out.
UV4L is the acronym of UserspaceVideo4Linux. As the U in the name suggests, it was originally consisting of ~100% user space video drivers only. Indeed the name is reductive considering the kind of thing it is now. There is probably no time to explain how the things have been put together, so the time is better invested in (trying to) producing good documentation and examples for the end-users.