dlengud

in Linux/arm 4.4.16 kernel config

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:08 am

when i put this command,
$ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- oldconfig,
the result line that i expected was "configuration written to .config" but it asked me to set a configuration.
i don't know what shoud i do.

please help me out . what am i gonna have to answer for this question?
Attachments
제목 없음.png
제목 없음.png (56.25 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Re: in Linux/arm 4.4.16 kernel config

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:24 am

SInce you're making with oldconfig you will be prompted for anything new that was added to the kernel options since your config was last made. Unless you have reasons to specify any configs for the new options, just mash the enter key and accept the defaults for all the new options.
Account Inactive

dlengud

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:19 pm

SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:SInce you're making with oldconfig you will be prompted for anything new that was added to the kernel options since your config was last made. Unless you have reasons to specify any configs for the new options, just mash the enter key and accept the defaults for all the new options.
i wish i could. after 'Enter' key i just saw the last line again. besides i couldn't put my answer for the question, "patch physical to ~~~[N/y/?] ". plus, that 'n' next to this line was not my selection.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:05 pm

[N/y/?] means chose either 'n', 'y' or something else. The capitalization of the N means that if you chose no option, it will default to 'n'.
(NEW) means that this is a new option that was not available with the oldconfig, [] means that there, by default, is no entry in that field.

I'll assume that since you are making with an oldconfig, you do not want to make any changes to the config nor add any new configuration changes, else you would be using another option to generate a new config with your new options.

So what happens when you just hit the enter key and let make select the default options for all the new choices?
Account Inactive

dlengud

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:19 am

SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:[N/y/?] means chose either 'n', 'y' or something else. The capitalization of the N means that if you chose no option, it will default to 'n'.
(NEW) means that this is a new option that was not available with the oldconfig, [] means that there, by default, is no entry in that field.

I'll assume that since you are making with an oldconfig, you do not want to make any changes to the config nor add any new configuration changes, else you would be using another option to generate a new config with your new options.

So what happens when you just hit the enter key and let make select the default options for all the new choices?

thank you, really, for giving reply again. actually there's something that you got wrong. maybe it's my fault.. because English is my second language... i didn't explain it well. anyway, they didn't let me choose which answer i took, between [N/y/?] , which is the problem. it was just 'n' without my any action like hitting 'Enter' key whatever, like there is no way for me to choose another answer such as 'y' or '?'.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:26 am

Most likely that is because that particular option already was set in oldconfig, you will only be prompted for an answer for choices that are (NEW). If you want to change that previous option, then you need to either edit the .config or run a make menuconfig and go in to change that option.
Account Inactive

Return to “General discussion”