L_i_v_e

A stable browser

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi
I need a stable browser for my pi. I have a display with 2 web pages always open, but those keep crashing. The first one is a local video stream from another raspberry, the second hone is a locally generated html file by a script that self-updates itself every few minutes. I need no special function; I need something that does not crash every few hours. Any suggestion?
Or is there a way I can set a "self-reborn" of the standard browser opening the same pages in the same window size, etc...?
Thanks

pxgator

Re: A stable browser

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:20 pm

from the terminal: sudo apt-get iceweasel
That should solve your problems
So what's all this RPi stuff anyhow? Well folks, it's a feat of engineering from
the UK almost as remarkable as the De Havilland Mosquito and the Colossus.

gkreidl

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:24 am

pxgator wrote:from the terminal: sudo apt-get iceweasel
That should solve your problems
No, it doesn't. Iceweasel (now Firefox-ESR) cannot play video streams fluently.
Chromium-Browser (from kusti8's repository) could do that, if you set a certain flag (disable media source API). Unfortunately this flag has vanished in version 51. But if you revert to an earlier version (50 or 49) it would work.
Webkit based browsers (kweb, Midori, Qupzilla) can display web video fluently in low resolutions (the typical 360p youtube video, for example).

All this applies only to the RPi 3.

Only browsers using the webkitgtk3 engine (epiphany, kweb3) can use the GPU for video decoding, but this engine (with a lot of patches by the collabora developers, paid for by the Foundation) is really unstable.

The OP's application looks like something he created himself. The kweb package offers options for developers to create embedded web applications which use video in overlay mode (displayed by omxplayerGUI) in any resolution. It looks like they are part of the web page.
For more details you need to read the latest omxplayerGUI manual (the developers chapter).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

lumsdot

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:46 am

Would be good if foundation installed Chromium 50 on the Pi 2 and Pi 3 rasbian images.

I know its probably not going to happen, but its madness when Chromium 50 runs so well ,
it would boost sales if people could see the pi at its full potential.

DirkS

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:51 am

lumsdot wrote:Would be good if foundation installed Chromium 50 on the Pi 2 and Pi 3 rasbian images..
The RPF does not provide images for specific models.
And installing chromium is easy thanks to the efforts of kusti8: viewtopic.php?t=121195

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:27 am

lumsdot wrote:Would be good if foundation installed Chromium 50 on the Pi 2 and Pi 3 rasbian images.

I know its probably not going to happen, but its madness when Chromium 50 runs so well ,
it would boost sales if people could see the pi at its full potential.
That would mean supporting more than one Raspbian Jessie release ARMv6 & ARMv7, the resources which it takes can be better used elsewhere.

Firefox ESR Browser is in the repository ;)
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

L_i_v_e

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Thanks. This issue with both is that i must set a cache limit, and once it hit the cap the video stream stop... What to do?

Return to “General discussion”