N3-C45

DosBox

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:12 am

first of all this is what im using.
-RASPBERRY PI 2 MODEL B
-A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU
-1GB RAM
-OVERCLOCKED

now my problem, i was able to run doom and doom 2 on emulation station without any problems. but then for my own reasons i decided to delete emulation station(i formatted my micro sd card) i installed/burn image "RASPBIAN JESSIE" i use this for web browsing,minecraft pi and kodi and everything works fine, but then i decided to install dos box, i mounted/installed doom and doom 2, but for some reason the cpu cant handle the game, i can run it but everything is really slow, everything moves in slow motion.

why can i run this 2 games on emulation station without lag but not on Raspbian Jessie???????
....i don't get it, its the same hardware same roms same linux based programs yet i get different game performance...
what can i do other than get another micro sd card and install emulation station or download chocolate doom.

ghans

Re: DosBox

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:10 am

Because DosBox emulates a complete computer and
EmulationStation probably used a modified Doom engine instead.

You need to find an official or inofficial Doom1 or Doom2
engine with Raspberry Pi (ARMv6-HF or ARMv7-HF) support.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Zebu

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:11 am

mostly its because the dosbox you can install from the repository is not very optimised, it works a lot betterin retropie because that version is fairly heavily optimised.

you can get the retropie setup script and use it to install the optimised dosbox within raspbian but remember it works a lot better if you log out of X first and run it from the command line

N3-C45

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:34 am

ghans wrote:Because DosBox emulates a complete computer and
EmulationStation probably used a modified Doom engine instead.

You need to find an official or inofficial Doom1 or Doom2
engine with Raspberry Pi (ARMv6-HF or ARMv7-HF) support.

ghans
yeah you are right, for some reason i didn't think of dos box as an emulator. i don't know what i was thinking...but yeah thanks for your answer and time.

N3-C45

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:37 am

Zebu wrote:mostly its because the dosbox you can install from the repository is not very optimised, it works a lot betterin retropie because that version is fairly heavily optimised.

you can get the retropie setup script and use it to install the optimised dosbox within raspbian but remember it works a lot better if you log out of X first and run it from the command line

yeah i think i might go for a double boot have raspbian and emulation station.
thanks for your answer and time.

Return to “General discussion”