User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:57 pm

That is the question! Whether it\'s better to not purchase the r-pi as soon as it\'s available and suffer the insults of my peers or to go ahead and purchase the pi and perhaps achieve my dreams with it? Ah that\'s the crux of the issue, what dreams may be achieved with the initial release of the r-pi?

Sorry, I find myself hilarious.

I do want to pose this question, however. There\'s been some overall mention regarding video playback and whatnot at the moment of the r-pi release\'s (mainly by the forum members so excessively that I can\'t find the official response from the r-pi team :P ). Now I don\'t really to discuss that can of worms in this thread, my real question is working on the *assumption* that we\'ll only have limited video playback with the initial release, when a version comes out that more fully takes advantage of the GPU, will we have to purchase a whole new board to take advantage of this, or will it be a matter of simply downloading an updated kernel and applying the update?

This will really affect whether my first board is the model A (and focuses more on the hardware side of things) or a model B (which may get limited use at first, but it will at least be in place and ready for my media center once a patch is released).
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Skygod
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:22 am

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:35 pm

By the time I add P+P, the extra $10 is not going to be an issue so it\'s a B for me as Ethernet will be a MUST.

In its first month of ownership, it will be subjected to a variety of roles : a torrent server, an http server, a NAS server. an HTPC server.........

I\'ll then decide what to do with it long term.

If a new model comes out with improved functionality / resource, then it\'ll be a case of \"Is this one better at doing what I want it to do than the hardware I currently have?\" and then I\'ll end up with 2 (The first system simply gets demoted to another function)

It\'s the same as my original 286 desktop. It got replaced by newer models, but always had a role to fill. First it became a file server and then it ended its days as a firewall / router device running \'Smoothwall\'.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:17 pm

[quote]Quote from abishur on November 28, 2011, 16:57my real question is working on the *assumption* that we\'ll only have limited video playback with the initial release, when a version comes out that more fully takes advantage of the GPU, will we have to purchase a whole new board to take advantage of this, or will it be a matter of simply downloading an updated kernel and applying the update?
[/quote]

That would be crazy. The software experience isn\'t going to be perfect to start with, but hopefully working with the community any gaps can be filled in for a education-targeted launch next year. The only board revisions that are being talked about so far are minor tweaks, so you\'d just be able to update the image on your SD card to take advantage of improved/updated drivers and libraries.

obarthelemy
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:39 pm

Just buy it.
You\'ll have fun, and it will keep you off the forum a bit :-p
Oh, and it\'ll give us a great reason to bitch and moan about features AND openness AND documentation... so everyone should be able to pick up their favorite thing to bitch about !

willlim
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Can do like i intend to do, buy 1 of each model and at new revision/model buy another =D, i have lots of projects that the R-pi is better than the option in the market, and ever will be young cousins and nephews to give the old ones.

ErvKosch
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:00 pm

I\'ll probably end up get a rev board but not because I want too. I really wanted one to make a Christmas light display but by the time it gets here it will be to late. So I might as well wait a little bit and get a slightly better board with updated drivers.

User avatar
Montekuri
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:19 pm

If a lot of people make seriously this question (To buy or not to buy) I would say: \"Don\'t buy\".
Give me a chance to buy one for me :D

User avatar
Jongoleur
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:23 pm

[quote]Quote from obarthelemy on November 28, 2011, 18:39
Just buy it.
You\'ll have fun, and it will keep you off the forum a bit...
[/quote]

Or use it to get ON the forum!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:29 pm

@asb - I know the software experience won\'t be perfect to start with... that\'s actually the basic assumption I pose in the question. But the software update aspect that\'s where my curiosity truly lies. There\'s been so much blind leading the blind arguing... er... discussion, that it\'s all become a tangled mess in my memory. Hence rather than blind speculation, I figured it be best to ask the r-pi team for an official answer outright. Though my blind speculation is also , it should just require a soft update, but I want to make certain as I have enough cash to buy one or the other and I want to make sure to get the one that I\'ll make the best use of. After all, what if it required a direct update to the GPU itself via a debugging cable? Is that a likely scenario? I don\'t think so, but its something I want to check ;)

The only reason I\'d want the model B is to take advantage of the media center potential I see in it. All my other plans will make use of a model A meaning it would be a waste of money to buy a model B *unless* the software
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Lol Montekuri, the real question I\'m posing it to buy a model B (assuming a soft update along the line will open it up to what I want) or spend my cash on a model A (which I have lots of fun ideas for too)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

User avatar
Montekuri
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Well, abishur.
Eben has written on the FAQs: We support 1080p30 H.264 decode, so that should work.
I understand that the hardware is capable of doing it. But we need software and GPU drivers that \"talk\" to GPU and make the \"magic\" of playback the videos.
And I am afraid that the Media Center gurus will have to work on it, not the R-Pi team.
I think some of us can wait for a second or a third batch of R-Pi\'s until the software is ready to use.

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:25 pm

I believe that is the crux of the issue I\'m talking about here because while the hardware supports it, the software isn\'t there yet (or so we\'ve been told at this point) :P

Will it be as simple a matter as GPU drivers (which actually do have to be written by the r-pi team ;) ) which can be installed just by swapping out kernels or will it be an update that can only be applied via a debugging cable? Again, I don\'t consider that an overly likely scenario, but if that\'s the case I\'m gonna hold of on the model B purchase until that update is in place :)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

User avatar
liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5202
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:30 pm

AFAIK, the GPU drivers are all ready and waiting for you. Can\'t ask Eben directly at the moment because he\'s rowing a boat up and down the Cam before dinner, but I do know that we\'ll be bundling a media player for you all.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

User avatar
Montekuri
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Thank you, Liz :)
Sorry for being so selfish.
I know the R-Pi is primarily intended to teach programming to kids. But it is my \"kid inside\" asking for a media center :)

User avatar
abishur
Posts: 4477
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: To buy or not to buy

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks Liz, that\'s exactly the answer I was hoping for :D That means any update that would further improve the use of the GPU would be accessible via software updates and would not require purchasing an updated r-pi or a special flashing via a debugging cable!

Also y\'all are bundling a media player? You really take care of us too much!

I\'m closing this thread since my question has been answered and I don\'t want it to get bogged up with speculation :D
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”