shadow5hunter

Build a push button

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Hi guys, I'm trying to do some simple projects on my raspberry and I was thinking if it is possible build something that work like a push button, like this:
Image. I did some researches about it and looks like there's no mistery in this subject. Has anyone try to do something like that? If so, what should be my concerns?
I really appreciate any help you can provide (and sorry about the poor english :) )

scotty101

Re: Build a push button

Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Why would you want to build a push button that someone else can produce for you at a much better quality and lower cost?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

blaablaaguy

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:28 pm

shadow5hunter wrote:Hi guys, I'm trying to do some simple projects on my raspberry and I was thinking if it is possible build something that work like a push button, like this:
Image. I did some researches about it and looks like there's no mistery in this subject. Has anyone try to do something like that? If so, what should be my concerns?
I really appreciate any help you can provide (and sorry about the poor english :) )
You could probably make a pushbutton out of some conductive and insulative material easily, but it probably wont be very reliable. You can get them 10 for a pound off ebay or you could salvage one from an old or broken toy
This signature intentionally left blank.

Heater

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:32 pm

All you need is a couple of brass tacks or drawing pins, a paper clip and a piece of wood.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

shadow5hunter

Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:15 pm

scotty101 wrote:Why would you want to build a push button that someone else can produce for you at a much better quality and lower cost?
I don't explain myself right, I guess. I just wanna do something that work like a push button, not a real one. That way maybe I could do something with a response(when it is pressed, for example) that works better for me. I'll do some tests and maybe I pick the push button.
Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Cancelor

Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:25 am

shadow5hunter wrote:
scotty101 wrote:Why would you want to build a push button that someone else can produce for you at a much better quality and lower cost?
I don't explain myself right, I guess. I just wanna do something that work like a push button, not a real one. That way maybe I could do something with a response(when it is pressed, for example) that works better for me. I'll do some tests and maybe I pick the push button.
Anyway, thanks for your reply.
When you say 'like a push button' you are saying you don't want to use what is shown in the picture.

Do you mean to say "I want to use one of these push buttons as shown in the picture; how can I connect it to my RPi project?"

I still don't understand what you mean, maybe if you say what it is you want it for and why you think the one shown is no good. ;)
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

lumsdot

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:19 am

This video on youtube explains the basics of checking if a button has been pressed using a pi

https://youtu.be/NAl-ULEattw

B.Goode

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:23 am

shadow5hunter wrote:I just wanna do something that work like a push button, not a real one.
For 'real' (physical) alternatives to a push button, consider something like an IR sensor, PIR sensor, or magnetic reed switch.

If you want a 'virtual' (on-screen) alternative to a push button, consider using a keypress on a normal keyboard. Or a zone on a touch screen. Or an icon on a web page.

shadow5hunter

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Cancelor wrote: When you say 'like a push button' you are saying you don't want to use what is shown in the picture.

Do you mean to say "I want to use one of these push buttons as shown in the picture; how can I connect it to my RPi project?"

I still don't understand what you mean, maybe if you say what it is you want it for and why you think the one shown is no good. ;)
I want to build a musical keyboard. First of all I will try with buttons to see how the RPi respond. So I think that I'll need a button a little softer then a ordinary push button. Perhaps already exists one, I don't know much buttons.

B.Goode

Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:37 pm

How about using fruit? Or cheese? Is that soft enough?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/steer- ... th-cheese/

pksato

Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:30 pm

shadow5hunter wrote:Hi guys, I'm trying to do some simple projects on my raspberry and I was thinking if it is possible build something that work like a push button, like this:
Hi, real musical keyboard key/switch are very complex.
I have some suggestions:
Buy a musical keyboard toy (or a damaged), need to make some reverse engineering to figure how keys are routed.
Build you own switch box, need some metal sheet, screws, wood and wires.

But, you looking for a switch with lever. This type of switch some times are called "micro switch".
https://www.google.com.br/search?q=micr ... r&tbm=isch
Or, you can make a lever for a micro switch used on mouse, or to push button of you photo.
https://www.google.com.br/search?tbm=is ... cro+switch

Return to “General discussion”