Procura

Re: Console Emulation?

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:02 am

One of the things I would use my raspi for is game emulation. Nes, N64, Playstation 2, ect.

I don\'t have a great understanding of arm and was wondering how the whole console emulation bit would work on a raspi.

Jessie

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:10 am

I can pretty much bet that you are not going to get PS2 emulation going on a R-Pi. PS1 possibly, but even that we won\'t know until the device is in our hands. SNES and older I\'m sure will be a given. I will be putting up an emulation box with one when I get my hands on an one, just to avoid digging NES, and SNES games out of the garage when I want to play them. The plan is to have an interface that will allow me to operate it with a joypad or joystick.

Anyway, there are plenty of threads on this topic already if you search around. I think this will be one of the foremost uses for the R-Pi initially.

abishur

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:41 am

Yeah, my modern PC can barely get me PS2 Emulation, I *really* wouldn\'t expect the r-pi to run it. Honestly, I wouldn\'t even count on the N64. I remember my computer from a couple years back couldn\'t do it and it was a little better than the r-pi pure spec wise. The only way I could see these actually working would be if someone did a lot of work and got the emulators taking advantage of the GPU\'s power. Maybe someday we\'ll see something like this?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Xovan

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 am

[quote]Quote from abishur on November 28, 2011, 05:41
Yeah, my modern PC can barely get me PS2 Emulation, I *really* wouldn\'t expect the r-pi to run it. Honestly, I wouldn\'t even count on the N64. I remember my computer from a couple years back couldn\'t do it and it was a little better than the r-pi pure spec wise. The only way I could see these actually working would be if someone did a lot of work and got the emulators taking advantage of the GPU\'s power. Maybe someday we\'ll see something like this?[/quote]

Nope, the xbox uses a special api from ATI to squeeze performance out of nothing. The PS2 if I remember correctly used a weird GPU design which doesn\'t exactly make it easy to get opengl to work properly when trying to emulate it. What is baffling to many folks into emulators is the ps2 has only 32MB of system memory and 4MB ram for the GPU.

Knowing this is important however. Because it shows just how much power can be squeezed out of very simple hardware. This rather should encourage not to emulate but rather to develop native applications. Because we know for a fact that it is very possible to make an extremely beautiful game with the raspberry pi hardware as long as time is dedicated to developing the software. The QT5 demonstrations have shown us this already. Therefor I think while emulators are a great way of enjoying the past I would recommend that effort be directed at native software clones or remixes of such games to show concept and teach the science and engineering behind it. That is much more important to accomplish instead of getting super mario brothers and doom to work on even more exotic machines. Heck I can play doom 1 and 2 on my sansa clip + mp3 player using rockbox. Its in monochrome and gets visual artifacts all over the place because of a lack of simple color but it runs very smoothly. It would be of great value to the project to get a native fps to prove the concept that pretty doesn\'t need to mean bloated or expensive hardware.

EDIT: Rethought some things and added a bunch more.

Return to “General discussion”