tntexplosivesltd

Re: Kinect?

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:19 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows if the CPU on the Rasp Pi has enough processing power to be able to process Xbox 360 Kinect data. If it does, does the USB chip have enough throughput? I have plans to use the Rasp Pi with a Kinect, and was wondering if anyone has used it with a similar board (or even the Rasp Pi)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:39 pm

We\'ve had absolutely no experience with Kinect with the Raspi (and I don\'t think the Broadcom boys have tried playing with it with the BCM2835 away from a Raspberry Pi, either). I\'d *love* to hear about it if you experiment with it when you have one of your own.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

hobohippy

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:14 pm

I'm looking forward to attempting this. RasPi + Kinect + mobile platform would be a fantastic development platform. I'm amazed there's only a few posts here. This is a great idea and I hope to see a lot of interest in this. I would be willing to put together and host a website for collaboration and sharing projects based on a rasberryPi and kinect... of course if anyone can even get it running...

guyh

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:21 pm

i want something that will turn the tv on when i walk through the door and the oven on when I shout "PIZZA". if someone could make this for me I would be very grateful.

Sydknee

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:38 pm

I have one of those, its called the wife! Unfortunately I think she was built by Microsoft as she tends to get the red face of death when I shout pizza at her!

The Kinect idea is brilliant would be very interested in hearing about any projects.

panik

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm looking forward to attempt this as well. If OpenKinect/libfreenect builds on the raspi we're home free! https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect

Some demos need to be translated to OpenGL ES, but I don't foresee major problems.

Edit: It looks like someone already did most of the work for us: http://packages.debian.org/sea.....ibfreenect
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

mobeyduck

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:54 pm

I don"t want to stop you from playing with kinect.bit there are other systems that can trigger when you walk by you know those things called remote? Na just kidding
There are those things have that make a bell ring when someone walks trough the door, there are smaller versions that could be connected to the gpio for voice command you could use a microphone

Joules

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:03 pm

If your using a Kinect, shouting Pizza is a total waste of the technology. At least if you have to break dance for you pizza you can feel good you burned some calories off for it.

Andre_P

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:06 pm

ooooh just thought, assuming you can get the Raspberry Pi and a Kinect to talk, you could use it with something like a Big Track to create an automonous vehicle, something like the Mars Rovers that have been really successful .

scep

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:12 pm

I've had a play with Kinect on the PC and on Linux and I'll definitely be hacking about with it once I get a Pi. It would be fantastic if it can be made to work (I'm guessing yes?) - the Pi velcroed to the Kinect, plopped down, plugged into a big TV and doing cool stuff.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 pm

I've just been asked to investigate using the Kinect in a couple of projects so i'll be interested to see if the Raspberry Pi can be used for my back end processing.

Ah good yet another excuse I can give the "holder of the household purse strings" for why I need Raspberry Pi and lots of it.

lyptik

Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Hey guys,

I'd be very excited to play around with the Kinect on the Pi, my main concern would be the performance, what's left once you grab the depth buffer ?

Enough for detection/tracking/skeleton ? Cannot tell, and I bet it does rely on the optimization of both the OS and the drivers.

My first tests would be trying to implement the openni drivers on a linux OS. They seem to have some ARM drivers.

If any of you guys have some results with a Kinect and a Pi, it would be really cool to post it here

richiepi

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi all, I'm not programmer, just curious.

I was thinking that the Kinect would make (infra-red) eyes and ears for a drone using the Raspberry pi as a platform to run it from.  I think the Kinect would have to be ran at a low resolution with a less dense point-cloud so the pi can handle it.  I wondered then if the pi would run on 3G by putting a dongle in a USB port.  You could then use the google image recognition app and Wolfram Alpha to try to process the data from the Kinect.  I think then you could place objects in front of the sensor, they would be recognised and their properties analysed by Wolfram, the drone could then go and gather information by following search programs.

Does this make sense or am I trippin?

practisevoodoo

Thu May 10, 2012 2:08 pm

The important things to distinguish here are the actual depth camera information from the kinect and the skeleton tracking/voice recognition stuff that is actually done by the 360 using the data from the kinect.

The Rpi will definitely be able to get the depth info (and there is a lot you can do with that ie. robot navigation) but full blown real time skeleton tracking is almost certainly out of the question.

I've tried OpenKinect on the Rpi and it definitely builds fine but at the moment I can't get it to actually access the kinect. I'll post again if I figure out what's wrong.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu May 10, 2012 5:20 pm

In theory, the GPU in the Pi can easily handle the floating-point calculations needed to do skeleton tracking in near-real-time using the Kinect's data - that's part of what the GPU in the Xbox 360 is doing.  I haven't looked at the OpenKinect software, but, the majority of the work should involve matching up calls from OpenKinect to floating-point processes in the GPU.  If no one else has cracked this nut within the next year, I could do it, but, I have other pokers in the fire at the moment.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “General discussion”