Thank you! I'll try it out.

cjan

Re: Latest Version of Firefox(and Thunderbird) on a Raspberry Pi

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:46 am

knowing bug, no sound PulseAudio only.

ab1jx

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Very nice, well maybe. My Firefox from Raspbian debs with Stretch had been doing this thing where it would hang for a minute or so several times a day. I could be typing along in Gmail or this forum and it would just stop showing what I'd typed. The Pi doesn't crash, the CPU usage meter keeps moving. Top may show Firefox and Web Content at reasonable values of CPU and memory. Almost like it's swapped out all of a sudden.

Now I see this version does it too. And at least Badoo and Facebook say it's an unsupported browser. I do have a user agent switcher add-on, both Badoo and Facebook seem happier if I tell them I'm under Windows but the browser seems more sluggish. I guess I should join the forum on Launchpad.

ab1jx

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Very nice, well maybe. My Firefox from Raspbian debs with Stretch had been doing this thing where it would hang for a minute or so several times a day. I could be typing along in Gmail or this forum and it would just stop showing what I'd typed. The Pi doesn't crash, the CPU usage meter keeps moving. Top may show Firefox and Web Content at reasonable values of CPU and memory. Almost like it's swapped out all of a sudden. Then if I walk away for a few minutes what I typed appears.

Now I see this version does it too. And at least Badoo and Facebook say it's an unsupported browser. I do have a user agent switcher add-on, both Badoo and Facebook seem happier if I tell them I'm under Windows but the browser seems more sluggish. I guess I should join the forum on Launchpad.

I didn't see this problem at all under Jessie.

[edit]
OK, I rebooted and it seems to be working better. It had been up for a week. Typed a whole email without a hangup. Under 20% CPU for Firefox and Web Content combined, idling.
24 hours on I still like it. Much better than the Firefox in Raspbian debs.

Still fine. But really, how much of a no-brainer would it be to not swap out the application that has the focus? Duh.
Last edited by ab1jx on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sakaki

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:29 pm

In case it is of interest, the current gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit image (for the RPi3 B and B+) ships with Firefox v58.0.1 and Thunderbird v52.7.0, feel free to have a play (yes, it's Gentoo, but it boots straight to an Xfce4 desktop, no need to compile or configure anything just to try it out ^-^)

Screenshot of the image, running on an RPi3 B+:

ab1jx

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:18 pm

There are some odd things about this Firefox 59.0.2. I lost all my bookmarks overnight for one and had to restore from backups.

Also I don't remember what it's called but X had a copy-paste before programs like Firefox came along, then they added a Windows-ish ctrl-C and ctrl-V on top. With my old Firefox I could copy from an rxvt window by selecting to copy the old way then pasting into Firefox by a middle-click. That doesn't work anymore. It's probably not the fault of the build but some change in Firefox. I use rxvt heavily, I have about 12 of them open right now. I just copied from an xterm and it worked normally, but can I live with xterm, I don't want to think about it.

See viewtopic.php?f=63&t=202449 for a scratchpad the works with both copy-paste methods.

Micha1982

Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 pm

I really hope that there will be a fully working and usable, actual version of Firefox back again soon on the Raspberry. I do not like Chromium, ESR is slow as hell (much slower than Iceweasel was on my Pi 1) and furthermore the ESR-crap does not contain 'electrolysis'/multi-cpu-support.

I am asking myself if Mozilla is completely sleeping...
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

ab1jx

Mon May 21, 2018 9:59 pm

I never touch Chrome. I went 64-bit:

Code: Select all

Linux version 4.14.0-3-arm64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 7.2.0 (Debian 7.2.0-18)) #1 SMP Debian 4.14.12-2 (2018-01-06)
Buster (comes after Stretch) no less. https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/raspberrypi3/

After I installed LXDE and a bunch of other stuff I ended up with Firefox ESR 52.8, I wasn't paying attention really. I see Firefox 59.0.2 is in the debs. But then I'm also looking in unstable as well as buster.

I'm learning there's great benefit to investing in a few SD cards, also an external USB hard drive. Boot from the SDs then manually mount the hard drive when you want to get or save something of importance. You can change operating systems and even machines and still mount that hard drive. And I just ordered a Rock64 last night, 4 GB of RAM finally.

I've had reasonably good luck just copying the cookies.sqlite file from version to version and staying logged into sites that have logins. Bookmarks of course you can export then re-import. I don't think I've ever tried having 2 Firefox versions sharing the same bookmarks.

Everything's gotten slow, they hope you don't notice. I saved a Facebook page a month or so just to check the size: 10 or 16 megabytes, I forget. For some stupid web page? I doubt all the software I've created in my lifetime adds up to that much.

Ben_is_best

Mon May 21, 2018 10:14 pm

ab1jx wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:59 pm
And I just ordered a Rock64 last night, 4 GB of RAM finally.
I tried a 2GB version of the Rock64, but for me Ubuntu Mate didn't work, the Android image that was supposed to be stock turned out to be mostly Android TV, when I tried to live with the Android TV image the remote app needed wifi and didn't work with IR, and both of my wifi dongles didn't work. There just aren't enough operating systems. I'm thinking about getting another SBC like an Orange Pi or an Odroid, but I'll still probably mostly use my Raspberry Pi.

ab1jx

Mon May 21, 2018 10:42 pm

Yeah, I've got 3 Pi 3Bs, a Zero and a ZeroW. But the 1 GB RAM limitation is a serious problem. My Nikon D5200 shoots 6000x4000 images, the RAW files are 14 bits/color/pixel. Gimp since about 1.9 will let you work with > 8 bits/color/pixel images but of course they're twice as big. I keep a full-size copy of every moderately successful image because I may want to try to sell it some day. I use the unsharp mask a lot (in filters) but now that step takes 5 minutes.

I suppose I should invest in a modern desktop machine (my newest is from 2008), but I'd rather use these little guys.
Made on a Pi, Ufraw and Gimp 2.10.

ab1jx

Tue May 22, 2018 2:25 am

I did apt-get update then installed Firefox 60.0.1 via Synaptic. Individual tabs can now crash, Facebook and Slushpool both did right off the bat. In preferences, data reporting (crash reporting) is disabled for this build configuration, you can't enable it. Seems to have picked up my bookmarks and cookies from the ESR version without even asking. This site's OK, and Gmail, and Litecoinpool, Wiktionary, BBC, NPR, apnews, weather.gov, evozi.com all OK.

blitzortung.org, google images, multipool.us all crash.

I haven't tried building Firefox from sources in a long time, you have to chase down a ton of dependencies, maybe I will. The firefox.com site says I'm using the latest version.

My guess would be the sites that don't crash probably get better scores in the w3 validator too. http://validator.w3.org/ That doesn't crash.

feelslikeautumn

Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 pm

Firefox working on armhf xubuntu 18.04!

Ben_is_best

Wed May 30, 2018 2:27 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:22 pm
Firefox working on armhf xubuntu 18.04!
Great! Also, where did you download Xubuntu 18.04? I can only find 16.04.

Ben_is_best

Thu May 31, 2018 12:22 pm

Thank you.

showbox

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:18 pm

I am facing some problems on latest version of Firfox as not to able to copy any content from any other websites. I am also unable to use some adons which is available for previous version but not for latest updated version. Currently i am using show-box.one to copy a content but unable to copy and unable to use right click option. Please suggest me what to do to fix this problem or use previous version.

Mided713

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:23 am

This will update Firefox to 55.0.2 and Thunderbird to 52.2.1, which are the versions currently supported by the official package sources. You can install (even) newer software Mobdro App, however I do not recommend this. If it's not absolutely necessary, stick with the package sources. It may save you lots of trouble.

Janice357

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:50 am

One installed you can start it from the application menu. It is going to seem a little slower than on a desktop PC, particularly when starting up, but given the small size and low power of the Raspberry Pi it works surprisingly well.

ab1jx

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:36 pm

The scary thing is that Github, Sourceforge, Facebook, Paypal, Badoo have gotten it into their heads that they have to run bleeding edge HTML5 and leave it up to the consumer to try to keep up. Having a User Agent switcher plugin helps a little. It's an incredible amount of wasted time and effort. Back in Netscape 2 days a browser would just ignore things it didn't understand.

blackeagle17

Re: Latest Version of Firefox and Thunderbird on a Raspberry Pi

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:09 am

Your recipe definitely worked up to last year (+thanks!), but, (newbie diagnosis) since the last kernel update, I just get a segmentation fault when I try to run Thunderbird now.
Tutuapp https://kingrootapkz.com https://get-tubemate.in https://appsapkapp.com
https://tutuappvip.co
https://kingrootapkz.com
https://get-tubemate.in
https://appsapkapp.com

jdonald

Re: Latest Version of Firefox and Thunderbird on a Raspberry Pi

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:47 pm

I thought this got solved to some extent when recent builds of Firefox started working on 18.04 Bionic. However, the lack of an official release of Ubuntu MATE 18.04 for Pi has limited the benefit for much of the casual community.

Recently I needed to do some performance testing so I reran the cross-compiling flow I had used for Firefox 59.0.2. You can download this build of Firefox 64.0 for Raspbian Stretch here: https://github.com/jdonald/firefox-armhf/releases I have also updated the GitHub repo with notes adapted for codebase changes over the past year.

For some reason it was picking the wrong armv6 instructions with WebRTC so I had to build with --disable-webrtc. I can probably find a fix for this (ideal for Pi webcam streamers), but in the meantime looking to hear how this build runs in general. For a best experience, don't forget to run sudo raspi-config and explicitly enable the full OpenGL driver with KMS.

Return to “General discussion”