grasshappa

Re: Latest Version of Firefox(and Thunderbird) on a Raspberry Pi

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:51 pm

I am running Raspbian Lite w/ PIXEL, and trying to install firefox. I tried according to OP's advice using:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install dirmngr
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/firefox.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/firefox-source.list
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys A6DCF7707EBC211F
sudo apt update && sudo apt install firefox
The install seemed to progress, firefox 57.0 is in dpkg list, "Internet" is now in Menu Panel Applet with "Firefox Web Browser" under that, but the file size shows 0 bytes, and it crashes upon opening. Any idea what I am missing to get this installed and running on Raspbian Lite? Did I guess correctly that the key was for Firefox, and not Thunderbird? Other ideas? Thanks.

Ben_is_best

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:33 pm

That same thing happens to me. I'm trying to figure it out.

Kratos

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:55 pm

grasshappa wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:51 pm
I am running Raspbian Lite w/ PIXEL, and trying to install firefox. I tried according to OP's advice using:

sudo apt install dirmngr
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/firefox.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/firefox-source.list
sudo apt update && sudo apt install firefox
The install seemed to progress, firefox 57.0 is in dpkg list, "Internet" is now in Menu Panel Applet with "Firefox Web Browser" under that, but the file size shows 0 bytes, and it crashes upon opening. Any idea what I am missing to get this installed and running on Raspbian Lite? Did I guess correctly that the key was for Firefox, and not Thunderbird? Other ideas? Thanks.
Same problem here.
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

gkreidl

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:40 am

All Firefox 57 versions I've tested so far crash on the RPi.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:24 pm

weekend, tested arch-build FF-57.0.1 work, all ubuntu-build not work.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:13 pm

cjan wrote:

Seems FF57 in ArchLinuxArm is for ARMv7 and Aarch64

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7h/firefox

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/firefox
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Buckaroo

Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:22 pm

jameshkumar65 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:08 pm
Ben_is_best wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:55 am
This is a way to get the latest version of Firefox and Thunderbird on your Raspberry Pi. THIS ONLY WORKS ON A RASPBERRY PI 2 OR 3!

1. Install dirmngr:

sudo apt install dirmngr
2. Add the repository to your sources:

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/thunderbird-next/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/thunderbird.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mozillateam/thunderbird-next/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/thunderbird-source.list
3. Install Firefox and Thunderbird:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 9BDB3D89CE49EC21
sudo apt update && sudo apt install firefox thunderbird
Firefox and Thunderbird should be installed!
Worked fine for me. Thank you so much for the solution. You're indeed the best, Ben! :)
I got an error with all this - the public keys couldn't be found. Installed successfully, but now when I running terminal I'm still getting the echo messages. Any way to clear them?

jdonald

Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:36 am

gkreidl wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:40 am
All Firefox 57 versions I've tested so far crash on the RPi.
cjan wrote:

Yeah. I think the problem that everybody is reporting on Raspbian (or Ubuntu MATE) still persists.

But I noticed that Firefox 57 does run successfully on a 64-bit OS, or at least the one I imaged from here: https://github.com/bamarni/pi64/releases

Maybe the fact that it's working fine on aarch64 but failing on every armv7 system can help the Mozilla guys rootcause.

cjan

Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:23 am

jdonald wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:36 am
Maybe the fact that it's working fine on aarch64 but failing on every armv7 system can help the Mozilla guys rootcause.
No, arch-arm build both armv7 & aarch64 work, but had some tuned etc.

if [[ $CARCH == "armv7h" ]]; then
    echo "ac_add_options --disable-elf-hack" >> .mozconfig
    echo 'ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-g -O2 -fno-schedule-insns"' >> .mozconfig
    echo "ac_add_options --disable-stylo" >> .mozconfig
  elif [[ $CARCH == "aarch64" ]]; then
    echo 'ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2"' >> .mozconfig
  fi

jdonald

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks cjan. Sorry that I misread your post.

You're building from source on Ubuntu armv7 and using all the same flags? Do you know which of the flags (--disable-elf-hack, -fno-schedule-insns, --disable-stylo) is the key workaround that makes it actually work on Arch Linux armv7? The crash signature that I typically see on Raspbian/Ubuntu is an illegal instruction in libxul.so.

Given you're building with debug symbols on, is there something informative in the stack trace if you run firefox -g ?

cjan

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 pm

jdonald wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 pm
You're building from source on Ubuntu armv7 and using all the same flags? Do you know which of the flags (--disable-elf-hack, -fno-schedule-insns, --disable-stylo) is the key workaround that makes it actually work on Arch Linux armv7? The crash signature that I typically see on Raspbian/Ubuntu is an illegal instruction in libxul.so.

Given you're building with debug symbols on, is there something informative in the stack trace if you run firefox -g ?
sorry, don't know anything about build package, but that tuned code from arch PKGBUILD.
run firefox -g, nothing show up and firefox start up.

jdonald

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:31 am

See the Ubuntu ticket. Edit: I posted a workaround for Raspbian there:
To run with Skia disabled, edit your user profile at ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/prefs.js and add the following line:

user_pref("gfx.content.azure.backends", "");
Firefox 32-bit will then launch on Raspbian Stretch. Or if you have more than one user, you can instead edit /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/pref/vendor-gre.js
For reference: Corresponding Ubuntu Mate thread

According to this build log the Xenial package is already building with --disable-elf-hack and -fno-schedule-insns.

Note the link to the log above probably won't persist indefinitely, so quoting the relevant part here:

Adding configure options from /<<BUILDDIR>>/firefox-57.0.3+build1/mozconfig
  --host=arm-linux-gnueabihf
  --prefix=/usr
  --with-l10n-base=/<<BUILDDIR>>/firefox-57.0.3+build1/./l10n
  --enable-release
  --disable-install-strip
  --disable-updater
  --enable-application=browser
  --enable-startup-notification
  --with-distribution-id=com.ubuntu
  --enable-optimize=-g -O2 -fno-schedule-insns
  --enable-tests
  --enable-crashreporter
  --enable-official-branding
  --enable-update-channel=release
  --disable-debug
  --disable-elf-hack
  --with-ua-vendor=Ubuntu
  --with-google-api-keyfile=/<<BUILDDIR>>/firefox-57.0.3+build1/debian/ga

Ben_is_best

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:01 pm

The same thing happens on Ubuntu MATE that has it preinstalled, so it isn't a problem with Raspbian.

rogercw1

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:26 pm

On a development Pi3 I've just typed sudo apt-get install firefox-esr and its installed and working

I normally avoid browsers on the Pi, Chromium especially but I needed a browser to support a screen scraping exercise with selenium and Python. Watch this space..

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 pm

rogercw1 wrote:
On a development Pi3 I've just typed sudo apt-get install firefox-esr and its installed and working

I normally avoid browsers on the Pi, Chromium especially but I needed a browser to support a screen scraping exercise with selenium and Python. Watch this space..

This whole thread is about FireFox Current, nothing to do with the Extended Support Release....
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

runboy93

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 am

rogercw1 wrote:

Firefox ESR (52.6.0) works, yeah. but main Firefox (58.0.1) doesn't. Current Firefox ESR is atleast way more secure than current Chromium on RPi, but limited features (which is actually better on device with low RAM)

Along with RPi 3, I have few PCs and one of them is veery low end (old single core Pentium, around 500MB RAM installed but for use much less, and slow HDD, Windows XP), on this Windows XP PC, I have also ESR 52.6.0 (might be only browser that still support Windows XP) and compared times when Chrome and Opera still had version for Windows XP, ESR is much faster and stable (no crashes) in every way (after hard about:config tweaking), and I use Ublock Origin with it.

Currently also tweaking ESR for RPi 3, and test it better.

gkreidl

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:17 pm

The Mozilla team has rewritten huge parts of the Firefox code and first published it as "Quantum release" ( = Firefox 57). It faster and uses less memory. It would be a great addition to the RPi, but unfortunately all versions (57, 58, from the Ubuntu ports) I have tested so far just crash.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:29 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:17 pm
The Mozilla team has rewritten huge parts of the Firefox code and first published it as "Quantum release" ( = Firefox 57). It faster and uses less memory. It would be a great addition to the RPi, but unfortunately all versions (57, 58, from the Ubuntu ports) I have tested so far just crash.

Maybe will have to wait unti May for ESR60 ???
adieu

runboy93

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:47 pm

ESR 52.9 will be last version for 52.x ESR, then comes 60.x ESR. I hope it works with RPi 3 (drop support for Windows XP atleast, maybe also Vista + legacy add-ons)

Micha1982

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:33 am

Did anyone watched the memory-usage of FF57 or 58 on a normal pc? It reaches gigabytes (!) without problems when opening several tabs.... .

Its fast, its using several tasks now - but I gave up my hope we will ever see a working version on the pi. It uses too much memory at all.
Its a total mem-eater...

With their Quantum-development for using several tasks they forgot to watch the memory-usage in my opinion, whatever some "tests" say, just try it out yourself with several tabs. They made a big mistake somewhere.

Edit: And regarding post 1 and all the others trying this out: forget it :) This never worked, whatever some say. I tried it, these Ubuntu-tryouts all (!) have had massive problems, even when they started and looked fine on the first view. There is one version only (!) around made by the user "Schwarzr" which works, but its outdated (49?51?). Every Ubuntu-"port" definately has any problems, whyever. Wasted time. We only could find out what difference Schwarzr made exactly to get a working version again.

Edit regarding the ONLY fully working normal FF:
schwarzr wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:05 pm
The package is specifically compiled and optimized for Raspbian distribution, not Ubuntu nor Debian.
So if we want a working FF, someone has to find out how to compile it (or how he exactly made that, to save time).
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

Ben_is_best

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:30 pm

It did use to work.

Micha1982

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Ben_is_best wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:30 pm
It did use to work.
?

Ben_is_best

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:59 pm

It worked before, and right now the build that comes with Ubuntu MATE for the Raspberry Pi doesn't work either. It was because the build that you found was outdated, not how it was built.

Micha1982

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:06 pm

You should test it better. These Ubuntu-versions never worked as they should.
As said, even when the LOOKED as if they were fine, ALL of them ive tested have had problems open different webpages and crashed sooner or later. All of them. Whyever.

All of these Ubuntu-tryouts failed.

The version compiled by schwarzr was the only version that was fine.

jdonald

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:42 pm

You are both kind of right. Problems arise when Firefox is too old (unsupported), too new (breaking changes), or built with the incorrect settings. Because the Mozilla team has stated armhf Linux to be a third-tier platform, even the builds that don't crash probably have subpar performance and other bugs.

A few of us disgruntled users have been posting our findings on the Launchpad ticket for several months, and we've managed to put something together. Here is a Firefox 59.0.2 .deb file (install via sudo dpkg --install) that I have tested on Raspbian Stretch for both Pi 2 and 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdqwuda5eaw0c ... f.deb?dl=0

This package disables Skia's assembly path and is compiled with clang to avoid a strange crash that occurs if built with gcc 6. For the reasons stated above this build is far from perfect, but I was at least able to get webpages playing sound.

As for how Arch Linux has had this seemingly working, turns out it's the --disable-stylo flag mentioned above. For some reason it's one of the flags that won't display in about:buildconfig, but unsetting MOZ_STYLO apparently gets Skia skipped. Android still has Stylo disabled for nightly builds so that might be how the 32-bit apks still work, but this defeats the point if the goal is to have the latest fixes for speed and stability.

There's still plenty more work to do and hopefully the situation will be better by the time of Firefox 60 ESR. You can follow Launchpad bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1711337

Return to “General discussion”