peteforde

Pi 2 B bulk purchasing?

Mon May 30, 2016 12:34 am

I run a project that uses a large number of v2 B Pis and since the v3 was announced it has become more and more difficult to acquire Pi 2s in any volume. This is exceptionally frustrating for those of us who rely on a stable feature set and power consumption characteristics.

What is my best option to locate about 300 Pi 2 Model Bs at this point?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Pi 2 B bulk purchasing?

Mon May 30, 2016 2:23 am

Try contacting either Premier-Farnell or RS Components. They have the licenses for manufacturing.

Some of your problem may be that the the Model B and B+ use the same SoC as the A+ (now the A+512MB) and the Pi Zero, both of which are experiencing a fairly heavy demand. In addition, the same SoC is used on the CM, which is the actual "industrial model" Pi, which going to be replaced with the CM3 one of these times. RS is selling CMs at about $25 at the moment, instead of their usual $40, though the normal price in lots of 100 is $30.

rpdom

Mon May 30, 2016 3:41 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Some of your problem may be that the the Model B and B+ use the same SoC as the A+ (now the A+512MB) and the Pi Zero, both of which are experiencing a fairly heavy demand.
Which shouldn't really affect supplies of the 2B.

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 30, 2016 4:34 am

rpdom wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Some of your problem may be that the the Model B and B+ use the same SoC as the A+ (now the A+512MB) and the Pi Zero, both of which are experiencing a fairly heavy demand.
Which shouldn't really affect supplies of the 2B.
True. I mis-read his "v2 B" as referring to a version 2 Model B, rather than a the Pi2B. That raises two points... The first is the current pressure on manufacturing capacity in the scramble to make Pi3Bs, Pi Zeros, and A+512MB Pis. The second is that, if he is using Pi2Bs, then Pi3Bs should be considered as a proper substitute. The only "show stopper" *might* be the change in the location of the LEDs.

However, talking to Farnell and RS is still in order.

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 30, 2016 5:30 am

Retired disgracefully.....

curious4872

Mon May 30, 2016 6:47 am

peteforde wrote:I run a project that uses a large number of v2 B Pis and since the v3 was announced it has become more and more difficult to acquire Pi 2s in any volume. This is exceptionally frustrating for those of us who rely on a stable feature set and power consumption characteristics.

What is my best option to locate about 300 Pi 2 Model Bs at this point?
I thought that the Raspberry was mostly about education, not so much being a stable supplier in large quantities for industrial applications, for which the odroid, beaglebone, orangepi, and others might be better matches? (The exception being the compute module which is for industrial applications).

[Edit: removed two lines referring to a crowdfunding campaign, as the Foundation does not support it.]

However, for your immediate needs please note that you can buy a Raspberry Pi compute module, which is supported for manufacturers, today, in the quantity you request. The two main distributors are RS and Farnell

Raspberry Pi Compute Module from RS, available today in the quantity you require:

Link:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8268825/

- Raspberry Pi Compute Module (board only)

- RS Stock No.826-8825

- 5613 In stock for FREE next working day delivery

- Price: £17.97

Apparently you could have 5613 of these tomorrow.

-

Raspberry Pi Compute module from Farnell, available today in the quantity you require:

Link:
http://uk.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi- ... dp/2427122

Details:

Qtty available:

Availability: 23,806

3,734 in stock for next day delivery (Liege stock)
20,072 in stock for next day delivery (UK stock)

Price: £19.50

If you require "a stable feature set and power consumption characteristics" as well as ongoing support in industrial applications, that is what you want. You could have thousands of them tomorrow.
Last edited by curious4872 on Mon May 30, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ejolson

Mon May 30, 2016 6:52 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:The second is that, if he is using Pi2Bs, then Pi3Bs should be considered as a proper substitute. The only "show stopper" *might* be the change in the location of the LEDs.
The power and thermal profile of the Pi3 is different than the Pi2. While it may be possible to underclock the Pi3 to achieve performance characteristics similar to the Pi2, the testing required for such a substitution may not be worthwhile at this point in time. In my opinion, it may be better to wait for a Pi3 version 2 or better before redesigning the current project.
curious4872 wrote:I thought that the Raspberry was mostly about education, not so much being a stable supplier in large quantities for industrial applications, for which the odroid, beaglebone, orangepi, and others might be better matches?
Though I don't know what project the original post refers to, it is worth noting that educational projects--especially when approved and implemented with standard curricula and so forth at the school system level and above--also require a stable feature set.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon May 30, 2016 7:19 pm

I am unlocking this topic because I need to make a very serious point before curious4872 goes too far.

curious4872: perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my PMs before. We at Raspberry Pi do not support you in starting this Kickstarter (which is against KS and Indiegogo's rules anyway - you're trying to set up a buyers' club). If you do, we will be in touch with whichever crowdfunding organisation you use, and we will be asking them to shut it down. We will not accept any funds from you, or supply you with any Raspberry Pi Zeros.

As I said in my PMs, we are aware of demand. (I know you've asserted that you believe we are not, but trust me - we are.) There are several areas which you don't have visibility of (parts pipeline being a significant one - I filled you in on several more in my PM to you) and which are not negotiable. We have plans in place to ease the supply/demand issue, which are already having an effect; there is now a weekly supply of Zeros, and that supply is growing all the time.

Thank you for putting some effort into this, and thank you for the goodwill: please stop now. If you raise this again I'm afraid we're going to have to hand down a forum ban.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 30, 2016 7:51 pm

liz wrote:I am unlocking this topic because I need to make a very serious point before curious4872 goes too far.

curious4872: perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my PMs before. We at Raspberry Pi do not support you in starting this Kickstarter (which is against KS and Indiegogo's rules anyway - you're trying to set up a buyers' club). If you do, we will be in touch with whichever crowdfunding organisation you use, and we will be asking them to shut it down. We will not accept any funds from you, or supply you with any Raspberry Pi Zeros.

As I said in my PMs, we are aware of demand. (I know you've asserted that you believe we are not, but trust me - we are.) There are several areas which you don't have visibility of (parts pipeline being a significant one - I filled you in on several more in my PM to you) and which are not negotiable. We have plans in place to ease the supply/demand issue, which are already having an effect; there is now a weekly supply of Zeros, and that supply is growing all the time.

Thank you for putting some effort into this, and thank you for the goodwill: please stop now. If you raise this again I'm afraid we're going to have to hand down a forum ban.
Well said LU, you are far to lenient with the "I know better" posters IMHO :)
Retired disgracefully.....

curious4872

Mon May 30, 2016 10:32 pm

I've removed the offending lines, my apologies. you had written "We do not participate in crowdfunding campaigns" - which obviously was much less clear. I'll PM you with my questions about what you mean regarding what is and isn't appropriate in the forums, of course, you can let me guess, at the risk of getting myself banned :) sorry again. cheers,

liz

Mon May 30, 2016 10:52 pm

I'm afraid I don't have time to enter into another long discussion; please keep it to the forums. Plenty of people here have been around for long enough to give you guidance.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”