gtechn

Website Tweaks?

Mon May 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Hello.

Just a tiny bit of speculation, but it seems that some website tweaks are in the works. I am sure you all saw the new footer on the main site, not to mention that the Foundation has said they want to upgrade the Forums sometime, as well as a comment several days ago on https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/le-myo ... ed-camera/:

G S says:
18th May 2016 at 3:02 pm
[...]Has anyone else noticed the website adjustments?

Later down the comments line...

Liz Upton says:
18th May 2016 at 4:28 pm
We’ll have a bit more to say about that next week – it’s a work in progress.

I have also noticed that certain pages like "Hall of Fame", "Governance", and particularly "About Us" have been significantly adjusted. Am I just being suspicious, or am I on to something? Am I radically wrong, or is something bigger happening? "Next week" is here, so we will know for certain soon.
Last edited by gtechn on Mon May 23, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Website Tweaks?

Mon May 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Nothing major - certainly not a redesign, although we'll be kicking one off shortly (don't hold your breath - I'd expect the process to take us until Christmas at least). What we're doing at the moment is more in the spirit of continual improvement.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Heater

Mon May 23, 2016 7:37 pm

gtechn,

Your question is what exactly ?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

gtechn

Mon May 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Not exactly a question, but rather, a bit of speculation that a website redesign might be in the works. Mrs. Upton answered my question, but still, not bad to talk about what could be improved, right? (Not in a complaining tone, obviously, but just suggestions.)

Thank you Mrs. Upton, that is what I was wondering!

Heater

Mon May 23, 2016 8:31 pm

Ha, ha, if anything changes, whatever little detail, I will be very angry about it.

Until I get used to it.

Us old guys are like that :)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

gtechn

Mon May 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Then you must be really angry right now, because the footer of the new site, as I said, is redesigned... :D

Kratos

Mon May 23, 2016 9:19 pm

liz wrote: What we're doing at the moment is more in the spirit of continual improvement.
I am like that. The curse of perfectionism... :lol:

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Burngate

Tue May 24, 2016 9:40 am

Never mind all that, what we all want to know is:

on the "about us" page, there are three links to the financial statements for 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Sometime "soon", 2015's statement will be linked.
So far the links have pretty colours:
FinStats1.jpg
FinStats1.jpg (20.64 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
As far as I can see, they're about:
2014 44.3% r, 27.0% g, 42.3% b
2013 19.6% r, 54.1% g, 67.0% b
2012 77.6% r, 09.8% g, 12.2% b

So, What colour is 2015 going to be?

liz

Tue May 24, 2016 10:27 am

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of the strategy document, while we're at it; it's the first time we've published the Foundation's strategy publicly.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

DougieLawson

Tue May 24, 2016 12:25 pm

liz wrote:I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of the strategy document, while we're at it; it's the first time we've published the Foundation's strategy publicly.
It appears to say "Keep calm and carry on" in lots if nice words. You're laying out a strategy to continue doing much of the same stuff you've done in the last few years.

Thanks to the Raspberry Pi foundation I've taken a step back to thirty five years ago when me and my twin brother were just starting to build digital things. I've done more soldering in the last four years than the previous thirty. I've eleven of the wee beasties (2 * 2B, 5 * B, A+, Zero, B+ and a 3B) running for stuff I'm doing and a couple of new ones (2 * 2Bs) for a project I'm building (paid contracted work).

For me you've achieved some of your goals already. It's been fun and continues to be fun.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gtechn

Tue May 24, 2016 4:39 pm

I agree with you. I only have 2 Pis (Model B+, Model 2B) but I need to order a Pi 3. (I've been busy.)

The strategy document seems interesting. It seems as though you are just doing the same thing you always do, and I think that works well (at least until 2018). Just do what you do.

The colors you found were interesting. Perhaps... perhaps... they are colors to be used in the new design? Or perhaps the website will be tweaked to use them more?

Burngate

Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 am

I try to keep quiet when I don't have anything useful to add, but this time I maybe should add my voice to the "yes, carry on" chorus.
Not that I've read many of these kinds of documents - one so far - so I'm no expert. Just one more data point.

Return to “General discussion”