MartinPi

What will be the fastest SD card?...

Sun May 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Currently looking to buy a new SD card for my Pi 3. I'm using it as a desktop machine and want as much performance out of it as possible. I also will be over locking the SD card bus to 100Mhz. Which of these cards is best overall in terms of really world performance and what would you recommend personally?

SANDISK Extreme 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 Memory Card up to 90 Mbps with U3 Ratings

Samsung Pro 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10

Samsung Memory EVO 64 GB Plus MicroSDXC UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10

If anyone has personal experience or any input on these cards and what would perfrom best in a desktop environment; please help me out!
Raspberry Pi 3 32GB with 32-inch Monitor
Rasberry Pi Zero 32GB

fruitoftheloom

Re: What will be the fastest SD card?...

Sun May 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

broe23

Sun May 22, 2016 8:26 pm

Why not just use the SD as the Bootloader and a SSD for handling the OS? SD cards do not have a long life span. Also the services that Debian uses, does not work properly when just using the SD Card.

I run a 1TB Transcend on my PI 3. It runs off of a Orica Powered USB hub with no issues.

64GB SSD's are under $30 now. They are cheaper in the long run than a SD.

I use a 128GB Samsung Class 10 when I need it for setting up a new Pi for someone.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

MartinPi

Sun May 22, 2016 8:41 pm

broe23 wrote:Why not just use the SD as the Bootloader and a SSD for handling the OS? SD cards do not have a long life span. Also the services that Debian uses, does not work properly when just using the SD Card.

I run a 1TB Transcend on my PI 3. It runs off of a Orica Powered USB hub with no issues.

64GB SSD's are under $30 now. They are cheaper in the long run than a SD.

I use a 128GB Samsung Class 10 when I need it for setting up a new Pi for someone.
Thought of this myself but I'm still limited to the USB 2 bus speeds as well as the price being quite a bit higher. I'd also need an encloser for it and possibly a USB power supply.
Raspberry Pi 3 32GB with 32-inch Monitor
Rasberry Pi Zero 32GB

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun May 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Closing this - please don't start duplicate threads.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”