zog

Dangerous laser on fabscan

Sun May 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi,
If any of you have built a fabscan as featured in the magpi it may be using a class IIIa laser line. See the wikipedia link I have pasted below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety

I recommend that your replace the laser if it is unsuitable with an inherently safe class 1 laser immediately.

Instructions to do so can be found below.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... XhXlt2KYn4

Safe scanning

Jack Taylor

Pithagoros

Re: Dangerous laser on fabscan

Sun May 22, 2016 5:59 pm

5mW is just the same power that people use in lectures and presentations, probably not something I'd let young kids mess with but not going to be a problem especially confined in a scanning box. I'm not even sure a lower power laser would have the brightness needed to make this project work.

zog

Sun May 22, 2016 6:50 pm

I think the problem is that you can focus the particular laser I am worried about, and I wouldn't put it past someone to try and scan a shiny silver statue and to get the laser light reflected in their eye. If the scanner needs a class IIIa laser then it needs to go inside a light tight box. The current fabscan is an open box, although I believe a new enclosed model is being worked on.

I have a colleague at work who has a blind spot in one eye because an idiot shone a laser pointer in her eye when she was at school. Some of the laser pointers on the market are dangerous and shouldn't be sold as such.

I know I am captain safety, but the laser does have class IIIa stamped on it for a reason!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun May 22, 2016 10:45 pm

Closing duplicate thread.

You can put eyes out with a fork, too; and soldering irons can cause burns. We expect people to use a degree of common sense, and we are firm believers that you don't learn much if wrapped up in too much cotton wool.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”