CoolDolphinGuy

Touch Screen Display for Raspberry Pi 3?

Sat May 21, 2016 2:34 am

I've been searching around the internet for a touch screen display compatible with a raspberry pi 3, but all I'm able to find are ones only compatible with raspberry pi 2. Anyone know where I can find one?

alphanumeric

Re: Touch Screen Display for Raspberry Pi 3?

Sat May 21, 2016 9:54 am

The Pi Foundation 7 inch touch screen works on the Pi 3B. I have one connected to my Pi 3B running the latest Raspbian Jessie. I would think that anything that works on the Pi 2B should work on the Pi 3B. The GPIO pinout is the same for both.

Mandrewpi

Sat May 21, 2016 3:04 pm

I have a 2.8" pitft plus on my pi 3. So far that works on all of my pi's. Adafruit makes bigger sizes of the pitft. The official display will work too. I don't have one but they are made to work with all pi's except the Zero (no DSI connector on Zero).
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

tinylcd

Mon May 23, 2016 5:05 am

hello

we have display from size 2.8 inch to 7 inch which works on Pi3

www.neosecsolutions.com

regards
tinylcd

hhoanganh

Mon May 23, 2016 6:25 am

tinylcd wrote:hello

we have display from size 2.8 inch to 7 inch which works on Pi3

http://www.neosecsolutions.com

regards
tinylcd
i hope that you could make an image that includes touch driver on your website, or package an dvd in the lcd box. like waveshare does.

DirkS

Mon May 23, 2016 10:30 am

hhoanganh wrote:i hope that you could make an image that includes touch driver on your website, or package an dvd in the lcd box. like waveshare does.
IMHO that's what you actually *don't* want.
Device specific images tend to lock you into a specific kernel / firmware version. Updating that will most likely kill the support.
And Waveshare also have a habit of replacing (not updating) config.txt when changing settings. That can have some 'interesting' side effects.

AFAIK tinylcd use drivers that are available in current Jessie images and also have device tree support (see /boot/overlays/README)

alphanumeric

Mon May 23, 2016 10:47 am

Ditto, to the custom image not being the way to go. If you do a sudo apt-get upgrade, its most likely going to get broken. That locks you in to your current OS version, and likely prevents you from swapping that new model Pi that just came out. I just swapped my 2B for a 3B. Reimaged my card with the latest Raspbian and my Pi foundation screen worked right away. No mods at all. I have a buddy with a PiTFT and he is not so lucky. He has had all kinds of issues trying to upgrade the OS or swap in a newer Pi.

Return to “General discussion”