jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Very disappointed

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:45 am

What country are you in?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mky375

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm in the US.

I know this has nothing to do with anybody here. I just wanted to rant about RS and Farnell.

jamesh

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Sounds like you have ordered from somewhere outside the US - you need to go to the local disties site which should get you a much better delivery price.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

jayer89

why deos it take 3 months to get a raspberry pi

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 am

i brought my raspberry pi from RS on the 17th of july why deos it take so long till i get the product??
(i know the demands are high and many sites are waiting for stock but really 3 months)

amiga65

Re: why deos it take 3 months to get a raspberry pi

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:28 am

Why don't You ask RS.?

jayer89

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:39 am

thats true ill try asking them

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 am

No big mystery....

Supply: 4000 Pis per day (I don't know if that's 5 or 7 days per week).
Demand: a backlog of several weeks worth of production, with no end in sight.

Since the price is locked in by the Foundation (THANK YOU!!!), the only elasticity is on the supply side. Otherwise, the prices would be going up until supply was enough to satisfy the reduced demand.

james968

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:42 am

Have the considered expanding the manufacturing, so other vendors can manufacture it?

James

RaTTuS

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:45 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Politech

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:10 am

Have to agree, my order was in the last week of May and still no response to emails asking when to expect delivery. In fact I borrowed one from a friend who ordered it from Farnell about the same time, he has had it for almost three weeks.!!!!! I might order one from them seems a better bet.

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 am

Could be a screwed up order with the numbers involved there has to be some. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Politech

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Well guys, I just got a reply a few minutes ago from the Raspberry Pi team, they say I should have it by the end of the week, probably right, a screwed up order, always had good service in the 40 years dealing with RS, just my luck I suppose, will post the news when I get it just to give you confidence.

Montala

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Apparently at the moment Farnell/Element 14 appear to be able to supply RasPi's quicker than RS can.

This is possibly due to RS offering a slightly more competitive price for 'bulk' orders... or so I have been told!

RoyalWulf

Frustrated RS customer

Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:07 am

I preordered from RS on 19 April.
Ordered on 27th June - told it would take 10 weeks.
A friend ordered his from Element 14 after me and received it yesterday :x

When I go to the RS site it says:
"Despatch expected in 18 week(s)"

Element 14 site says:
"Order today for expected delivery within 5 weeks"

Grrrrr

bicarbonato

Re: Frustrated RS customer

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:17 am

RoyalWulf,

You are not alone. I ordered mine on 23 May and they told me it would take 3 weeks to despatch.

On 23 June I sent one e-mail to RS asking news about my order (since until that day I didn't receive any message from RS). On 25 June they answered that e-mail saying the following:

"We apologise for this delay, and understand how late your order is, we are looking into this as we speak and when we know what has become of your order we shall let you know and dispatch as soon as possible."

Since that day I sent 2 more e-mails asking if they have, at least, an expected date to ship my RPi, and they didn't answered those e-mails (I don't know why, and that makes me really upset about RS :x ).

I have already paid for my RPi, so I'm feeling very disappointed.

btreut

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 am

bicarbonato & RoyalWulf,

I have similar experience. I ordered on 21st of June (after having received the invitation for ordering on the 20). I had registered mid March.

My credit card was charged on 25th of June. I inquired on 2nd and 9th of July, but I never got a reply.

This is disappointing.

Bernhard

pluggy

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:31 am

I complained about RS a while back and had the thread deleted for my trouble. They've had my money for a month with a delivery date in October. Ring up and they fob you off with "you have to email the Raspberry Pi team", needless to say I'm still waiting for a reply 3 weeks later. No doubt this thread will be going the way of the Dodo bird as well. Their justification being if you read the sticky at the top it says:
It is not the place to air general moans or complaints about RS or Farnell (or anyone else for that matter)
Since its pretty obvious RS don't give a ****, the foundations unholy alliance with said company is next in line. Already had one warning, no doubt I'll be down the road after this.

If they can't fulfil the order in a reasonable time frame, they have no justification whatever for taking your money when you place the order.

Dear Mod, I didn't start this thread, another disgruntled RS customer did, Since the foundation formed the alliance with them, the foundation have a responsibility. Of course, you can take a leaf out of RS's book and hide behind your terms and conditions..........
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

jamesh

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:45 am

You didn't start the thread, but you did feel it necessary to pile in and whinge away, and at the Foundation as well (who have no control over other companies - there is no unholy alliance as you seem to think - its simply a producer-distributor relationship, just like most other producers out there), which is uncalled for. To annoy you, I'm leaving this thread in place. And warning you, publicly, since that seems to be what you want, to keep it civil and not make unfounded accusations about either the Foundation or the distributors.

Note that if any of the distributors send you to talk to the Raspberry Pi foundation because of delivery issues, that is incorrect. Both RS and Farnell has Raspberry Pi teams internally to deal with issues, which is who they are referring to. It is their responsibility to track, trace etc orders, not the Raspberry Pi foundation.

And to say it again, this is not a forum for whinging and whining. So locking this thread.

Politech

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Ok guys, I received the Pi this morning as promised by RS , can now get on with the casing and interfacing projects I have in mind. Good luck getting yours.

Jimmyb16

Order Update

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:25 pm

I order my Raspberry pi of Rs online and asked if i could have an update on how long i could be but i never received a reply can you help
thanks

sdjf

Re: Order Update

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:22 am

You should have received a confirmation email telling you your order number and estimated dispatch time. If you did not get that confirmation email, then something went wrong when you ordered. Was your credit card charged? Did you get the order confirmation email?
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Silence

Re: The most expensive R-Pi of the world!

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:33 pm

ceps wrote: Why not just allow regular airmail shipping as an option in the first place..?
(Claiming that the distributors work only with contracted couriers is nonsense because as seen here, if they want to send by regular mail they most certainly can).
I have worked for many years as a webdeveloper for a online store that sent items (mosty Belgian chocolats, Belgian beer,... ) all over the world so I have some experience in this field and the trouble is that the reliability of postal service differs from country to country. This is why a lot of online shops only have the option to deliver goods by courier OR (but this is very rare) have a big disclaimer that if you choose for airmail and the goods gets lost, you aren't entitled to a full refund.

This is also the reason with shops or merchants that don't work with couriers and only have the regular airmail option, that they won't deliver to certain countries. There are even some European countries that have a bad reputation (Italy comes to mind) where they won't deliver by airmail. Good examples where you see this a lot are Ebay Merchants.

Ibrahim

Order Cancelled with RS

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 pm

I ordered with RS then because of the long shipping lead time I cancelled the order and ordered a raspberry pi with Farnell.

I cancelled my order and after 14 days. No refund.

I opened a PayPal dispute

The next day I escalated the PayPal dispute to a PAYPAL CLAIM.

If RS do NOT reply within 10 days (untill 16th august) then I will automatically get my £30.87 back.

evlas

the status of my order???

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello,
I would like to know the status of my order.

I bought the item with Allied Electronics & RS Components the 27 Jun 2012, but since then I haven't news.
I have sent 2 emails with no response to RaspberryPi@rswww.com.
Can you help me?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: the status of my order???

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Unfortunately we can't do anything.

You have basically 3 options

1: wait it out until if/when RS/allied finally get their act together
2: keep trying to get a response out of RS/Allied
3: file a dispute with the provider you used to make your payment.

Whichever you do if you want a Pi sooner rather than later I would suggest buying one from newark (the american branch of farnell) since the farnell group seem to be doing a far better job than the RS group at the moment.

Return to “General discussion”