scep

General RS Posts

Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:51 pm

To try and make it easier for people find the information that they need, generic threads about RS will be merged here.

If you want specific help on ordering and shipping then please search/browse these forums to see if the question has been asked before. If not, please start a new thread with a clear and descriptive title. If you have advice that would be useful to others then please post it.

SoerenH

RS has been a disappointment :/

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:58 am

I've registered twice just minutes after the official announcement and am obviously registered to RS's Raspberry Pi newsletter, since they keep sending me their update mails frequently (twice)...

Now I heard from several colleges that they've heard from RS and have been asked to pay for the board - one of them received his board today. I wouldn't care, but all these people have registered several hours after I did - the guy that has received the board today has registered *a day* after I did...

I've contacted them and complained about the situation last Saturday, but haven't received an answer yet. Has anyone here had the same experience?

nick.mccloud

Re: RS has been a disappointment :/

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:08 pm

There have been many many different opinions - the challenge for RS & Farnell was the sheer volume of enquiries and unfortunately a few poor souls have fallen through the cracks. Have you tried ringing them?

Montala

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:38 pm

If you are in the UK, then you should have received an invitation to order from RS by now.
I did not register an interest until a few days after the official 'launch', and I received the 'Time to Order' email from them just after 15:30 this afternoon (1st June).

Mind you, they are quoting an 8 week delivery period, which is longer than I was expecting, so I am hoping the the 'other one' I have on order from Element 14 will arrive before then.

davez

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:48 am

Unfortunately, I guess due to the sheer volume and also different sites, local based ones? RS really doesn't enforce first come first served.

I have phoned them too, registering an hour or similar after the launch and they said that the first come first served doesn't really work. Somehow some countries/lists seem to "jump the queue". Unfortunately nothing one can do but wait :(
http://blog.davido.me General tech site

SoerenH

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:30 pm

I've registered at RS Germany. Since I got no response, I've now contacted them once again via their support Email address on Friday - I hope to get a response next week... If not, I'll give them a call.

I've got the feeling too, that they haven't implemented the first-come-first-serve method as advertised - or something behind the curtain is very buggy - I just regret that I woke up so early that day and wasted two hours of my lifetime clicking on refresh and filling out forms for nothing :?

Anyway, I'll keep you posted when there's progress in this matter...

davez

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:07 pm

SoerenH wrote:I've registered at RS Germany. Since I got no response, I've now contacted them once again via their support Email address on Friday - I hope to get a response next week... If not, I'll give them a call.

I've got the feeling too, that they haven't implemented the first-come-first-serve method as advertised - or something behind the curtain is very buggy - I just regret that I woke up so early that day and wasted two hours of my lifetime clicking on refresh and filling out forms for nothing :?

Anyway, I'll keep you posted when there's progress in this matter...
I actually heard from RS Sweden quite recently. They said that it's RS UK that handles all that stuff and they apparently takes weeks to get a response from. RS Sweden contacted UK themselves and told me they would keep me informed. That was little more than a week ago.

redhawk

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:20 pm

SoerenH, RS are dealing with registered users from March 4th now so something has clearly gone wrong for you.
My suggestion would be to email victoria.johnstone@rs-components.com she deals with all the PI enquires at RS.

Richard S.

Mike@RS

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi - looking at this thread, it sounds like there's some speculation about what's happening with order invitations. A quick update is:

- We've not yet invited all of the people who registered with us to place an order
- our queue is timestamped with date and time of registration as we recorded them, and we are inviting people into order based on that timestamp
- If you do have a question directly for us on your position in the queue / order invitation, then please email us at raspberrypi@rswww.com, quoting either Mike@RS or Jo@RS in your email title. We'll get back to you with information as soon as possible
- Because of the volume of traffic we're managing, emails direct to individuals won't get a quick response. The email address above is the most direct way to contact us and get an answer

We're off until Wednesday 6th June due to an extended public holiday in the UK, so will pick questions up to answer as soon as we're back in the office.

Thanks,
Mike

davez

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:08 am

Mike@RS wrote:...
Thanks,
Mike
Awesome that you are on the forum, I bet we all appreciate it, at least I do. Especially on a Saturday. Email sent, I'll wait =)

Montala

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:50 am

The title of this thread is "RS has been a disappointment", which although perhaps a bit strong is unfortunately how a lot of customers are starting to feel... especially after having been patiently waiting for nearly three months to be finally given the opportunity to actually place an order... they are then told that it will be another two months (8 week in my case!) before they will actually receive their Raspberry Pi.

Under these circumstances (notwithstanding what has been going on in the meantime) it is hardly surprising that we are feeling somewhat disappointed... is it?

Mike@RS

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:22 am

davez wrote:
Mike@RS wrote:...
Thanks,
Mike
Awesome that you are on the forum, I bet we all appreciate it, at least I do. Especially on a Saturday. Email sent, I'll wait =)

No worries - and apologies over the confused information you seem to have recieving from RS in Sweden. I'll pick up with the local team next week to help understand they are hearing from the UK and communicating to customers.

artag

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 am

SoerenH wrote: I've contacted them and complained about the situation last Saturday, but haven't received an answer yet. Has anyone here had the same experience?
Yes, much the same experience. Registered within the first hour. No invitation yet. Saw comments here about lost registrations and wrote an email .. still unanswered.

carab

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:57 am

yes i have order my pi on the day they went on sell and i have not got my pi .but i got lots of email telling me i will have my pi soon but i am still waything . I ring the sale team and they just pong me off telling me they ring me back and they never did.why cant they give me a simple answer.

artag

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 pm

artag wrote:
SoerenH wrote: I've contacted them and complained about the situation last Saturday, but haven't received an answer yet. Has anyone here had the same experience?
Yes, much the same experience. Registered within the first hour. No invitation yet. Saw comments here about lost registrations and wrote an email .. still unanswered.
Good grief. And now they're sending duplicates.

Soulmansamt

Order

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:46 am

I ordered my unit from RS but don't know how to track my order or view dispatch dates

Ocean20

Re: Order

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:39 am

They say that there are delays in shipping. Mine was sent six weeks after the order was placed. It was sent DHL and I got an email from RS when it was shipped and I got a tracking number and I could then track the order thru a web link that RS sent to me.

itimpi

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:16 am

Soulmansamt wrote:I ordered my unit from RS but don't know how to track my order or view dispatch dates
I do not believe that RS offer such a facility for Raspberry Pi orders until it actually gets Despatched and you get an email giving tracking details.

Soulmansamt

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:33 am

Cheers guys

alfredocdmiranda

Problem with RS Components!?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 am

Hi guys, I'm from Brazil. I ordered a RaspPi on 22 May, but still today the RS has not posted my package, only give me apologizes. Somebody have same problem?

Mortimer

Re: Problem with RS Components!?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:06 am

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry. The Brazilian customs service have been applying rather large import duties on Raspberry Pis going into Brazil. It may be that RS are trying to find a way to resolve this issue.

You should read through this topic for more information about import duties. There is something in there about RS setting up a local delivery service through a company in Brazil. It might be worth trying to find out which company that is, if you haven't done so already.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

alfredocdmiranda

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:22 am

I know about the duties, but the problem is RS doesn't say the truth, they only give me apologizes. Then until now I don't know what happened with my order.
I accept pay more, I only want to receive my order. =T

jaeger

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:46 pm

My order is around the 122k number, therefore it should arrive by October.

Nevertheless, I'm afraid of many things:
1. There isn't a proof that RS is keeping their word (said by liz in the topic linked ITT) about shipping to Brazil via postal service (Royal Mail). We just had an announcement from liz last month, without updates both from RPi Foundation and RS Components.
2. There isn't an announcement public (that is, in a easily visible place like a sticky or a blog post) regarding DHL. They charge extra prices worldwide (extra costs from US$3 to US$50 depending on the country). In Brazil normally they'll charge an extra US$35, even though you payed the shipping to RS, eBay, Queen Elizabeth II or to Mr. Sauron, DHL CEO. They will charge you, DHL likes to take your money. A Google query will get you this fact. I don't know about UPS/FedEx, but it seems that UPS charges even more in Brazil. For FedEx, it's mixed. Some people says that they charge an extra fee, however I received ~10 packages from Texas Instruments in USA from FedEx and I was never charged. The package costs were from US$5 to US$49.95.
3. The mailing system from RS is largely... faulty, to say the best. Many people are complaining and there aren't any answers. I know that they got an overwhelming quantity of people asking for RPis, but if that's the case, put someone here in the forums to do that.
4. There are also people complaining about faulty RPis or even empty packages. This isn't the issue, the issue is the lack of quality control (while testing and packaging) and the lack of answer. There are people waiting 4 months for a RPi, and receive a cardboard box with foam and air. Or something that just doesn't works. Then as they live overseas or just away from UK (Americas, Australia, Asia or even Eastern Europe) they need to wait more 1 month at best for the package to arrive in RS, more 2 weeks so they can test and more an unknown time so you can get another RPi. That is, if their support was good.

I know that it can sound like a flamebait or something like that, but that wasn't my intention. Many people here - just like me - just want to have a RPi in our hands to be happily working with them and then ordering more, getting people around us to know, etc. We would love more support from the suppliers, honestly. I know that you're doing your best with them, as well as the community, the volunteer moderators and etc. However, we would enjoy more answers about what is happening or what will happen, as the current situation is far from perfect, and we know that these issues are coming from the suppliers.

alfredocdmiranda

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Tired of waiting!I sent an email asking to cancel the order! And they answered me with a table that the estimated shipping time for September 26!
I will buy a RPi on the ebay and sell to a friend my RPi of RS, if it arrives....!

mky375

Very disappointed

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:09 am

Signed up for the preorder in March never heard back from Farnell or RS.

So I signed up again in early May. RS and Farnell both sent me an email saying I could order.

RS wanted to charge me 9 euros vat and over 50 dollars for shipping plus any other applicable charges or taxes when ordering from America(vat shouldn't have been applied to me). I was never able to order from Farnell as they had the below message.

Thank you for your interest in Raspberry Pi.
We know you have already registered for this great new technology, unfortunately we are currently experiencing a huge number of requests and are temporarily unable to take your order.
Please try the link in your email again later, we still have your place in line.

I checked for a while but it was all the same

Browsing this site I saw. Want to buy more than one Raspberry Pi? Now you can!

I was so excited I can finally have one! I came home and... It was back ordered again... I decided to put in an order even though there is a 30 day wait. Then the local taxes were almost double what I should have been charged.

What is going on?

Return to “General discussion”