curious4872

I'd like to remind ppl that being civil and nice are rules

Wed May 18, 2016 10:23 am

Hi,

I received a couple of rude responses recently. I'd like to remind people that being civil and nice are forum rules:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=15137

For example, two people quoted me out of context and made rude accusations. I think this is a great community, but making an ad hominem attack can never be considered civil and nice. If someone says or does something that you disagree with, a civil or nice response is to let them know. After all, posts can be edited and deleted, but forums that generate into name-calling become places nobody wants to visit - or, at least, is clearly not the type of community that is being built here. On the other hand, there is a wealth of information that is extremely useful for people who are looking for it.

I'm happy to hear from anyone if I ever ask or do anything that bothers anyone in any way - simply PM me and I will do my best to address the issue, up to and including deleting any comments people may disagree with. I've even asked moderators to close my threads once information was given and it would no longer be informative for anyone (viewtopic.php?f=63&t=146639&p=965629#p965629). I am here to participate in an extremely good and helpful community, and once I know enough, to help build it.

Thank you.

RaTTuS

Re: I'd like to remind ppl that being civil and nice are rul

Wed May 18, 2016 10:41 am

report the offending posts via the special button and they'll be sorted

posting a new thread is not going to help
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 18, 2016 10:49 am

Unfortunately Curious posting with words like "bribe" in your responses will cause reactions, you have done yourself no favours in your 40+ posts.

As always let the Moderators do the Moderating...
Retired disgracefully.....

curious4872

Wed May 18, 2016 10:50 am

RaTTuS wrote:report the offending posts via the special button and they'll be sorted

posting a new thread is not going to help
Thanks. I think, actually, it does help. "Being nice" is a significantly higher bar than most online forums have. (For example, Reddit certainly has no policy that people have to be nice to each other.) I wouldn't report someone just for being rude to me, for example. People have a right to be rude and not civil (in general). It's just that this is not the kind of forum that this is, at least by the sticky.
Last edited by curious4872 on Wed May 18, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

curious4872

Wed May 18, 2016 10:59 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:Unfortunately Curious posting with words like "bribe" in your responses will cause reactions, you have done yourself no favours in your 40+ posts.

As always let the Moderators do the Moderating...
Are you being nice and civil to me? This is actually one of the examples I talked about. Nobody misinterpreted my post, instead, the person who misquoted that cut it off deliberately, something you have repeated now. I will naturally be editing it once the thread is unlocked to remove that word. It's not a big deal. But look at the valuable information in the thread, and look at the noise being added to it now. (And something you are repeating.) There is extremely valuable information in that thread. Obviously a charitable donation is in no possible sense a bribe, just like offering your kid a candy if they complete their homework by 8 PM is in no way a "bribe". Bribes are not described in detail in public forums and on public kickstarter campaigns, nor made as a charitable contribution to support a charity.

But the whole accusation wasn't nice to begin with, and look at how this discussion is being derailed. It literally takes 15 seconds to make that edit, it's not a big deal and has nothing to do with the unit economics issue I was attempting to learn about.

While it takes 15 seconds to make an edit, it also takes 15 seconds to make an ad hominem attack against someone, please don't do that.

I mean, you can just say "I don't like you. I don't want you to learn anything here." If you don't see how that isn't exactly being nice, when I'm doing my best, then perhaps the simple rule of "be nice. be civil" is too much to ask of any Internet community.

Please be nice, be civil. It's in the rules. Thank you.

kusti8

Wed May 18, 2016 11:07 am

I wouldn't take that as rude. Also, FYI threads are almost never unlocked. It's locked, discussion finished and it always is by the time they are locked. Your choice of words was a bit poor there and FoTL was just pointing it out. Posts like that are not rude in my book, maybe not the nicest, but certainly not rude. I've heard much more rude things be said.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

curious4872

Wed May 18, 2016 11:26 am

kusti8 wrote:I wouldn't take that as rude. Also, FYI threads are almost never unlocked. It's locked, discussion finished and it always is by the time they are locked. Your choice of words was a bit poor there and FoTL was just pointing it out. Posts like that are not rude in my book, maybe not the nicest, but certainly not rude. I've heard much more rude things be said.
my threads were already unlocked in the past.

also, to my point, a PM and I'd have been happy to make the quick edit. Instead the thread is locked, and look at the extremely valuable information that it contained, which is now a discussion that can't continue. it's always nicer to just PM someone and let them know, "Hey you might want to edit that". Anyway it's not about a word, since apparently they also decided to crawl through my posting history, but couldn't find anything that I've ever done wrong. It's just not a nice thing to do at all. I mean, sure, you see that on most Internet forums, but most Internet forums are not nice and civil. I hope you see that deliberately looking through someone's posting history to see if you can find any "dirt" on them, finding none, and then deciding to find the worst thing that you can misquote and doing so, and declaring that this person is a troll (while you know that they're not), is simply not nice.

I don't know if this forum has any trolls, but it should be completely obvious to anyone that I'm not one. I haven't posted anything rude, nor asked anything meant to incite anything, also when my own threads were answered and started getting irrelevant responses I asked them to be locked. Trolls instead bask in causing the exact cause of derailing discussion that is being seen here. It's different. I haven't posted anything even slightly incendiary.

kena

Wed May 18, 2016 11:39 am

I have to agree with you on this one. There are lots of good people here. But there are others who like being facetious, argumentative, or just plain nasty. One of them is in this thread and is on my blocked list because of it. These people just exist... and ignoring them is the only way they don't get their intended response. Just ignore them and their posts. Block them so you don't have to read their dribble.
Or... and sometimes I have to do this myself. Reread their post after a few hours of having read it, and interpreted it a negative way. Go back and look at it with a fresh mind. Sometimes I find I may have been a little thin skinned. But on the whole... I agree with your thread, and wish others would think about that before posting!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed May 18, 2016 11:41 am

The way to deal with issues here is to use the report button, and/or to block people if they're really getting under your skin - then the moderators will deal with the issue if it's something that really needs dealing with. Please don't start new threads on stuff like this; it's just bound to devolve into arguments.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”