alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: A picture from The Pi Hut

Tue May 17, 2016 9:15 pm

fanoush wrote:So in case of Zero It would be nice if RPI Trading would grow up instead ;-) allowing them to ship more Zeros and raising the 1 per customer limit solving all points above.
Actually, you might not know this, but I'm pretty sure RPi Trading is the fastest growing computer company of all time.
Like any human, they've had some growing pains and made some mistakes along the way, but none fatal.
They're getting there.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

asandford

Tue May 17, 2016 9:18 pm

alexeames wrote: I'd say you can't please all of the people ANY of the time. :lol:
I was being generous...wanders off muttering that an RTC would have been nice (especially as there is no network connection)... :)

blaablaaguy

Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 pm

fanoush wrote:
alexeames wrote:It would be nice if people would grow up and stop whinging about shipping costs
I think most people would stop complaining about price of Zero shipping if they could buy more of them and/or buy them at their local distributor. Currently one per customer rule at few selected UK/US distributors sadly means:

Friends cannot buy 10 of them together reducing shipping to 1/10

No small local Pi distributor can buy 100 of them and sell them with local shipping - one example - in my country shipping any Pi (or even 20 of them) to me from local e-shop like e.g. rpishop.cz would be 40CZK = 1.15GBP. For you it may be absurdly low, for me this is normal shipping price I expect when getting a Pi. And BTW I still consider myself lucky that I can get single Zero from Pimoroni for 3.4times as much which is a bit expensive but still much better than for people from Spain,Italy etc.

So to sum it up it is not just shipping - it is combination of shipping + 1 per customer limit + very few distributors + expensive or no shipping to many parts of the world.

So in case of Zero It would be nice if RPI Trading would grow up instead ;-) allowing them to ship more Zeros and raising the 1 per customer limit solving all points above.
And then un-solving the problem of some guy getting their first, buying 30k zeros and leaving none for anyone else
This signature intentionally left blank.

CarlRJ

Tue May 17, 2016 10:36 pm

RaTTuS wrote:Image
Clearly, giving them a boost to the right altitude for airmail delivery. These guys think of everything.

geoffr

Tue May 17, 2016 11:01 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:
fanoush wrote:
alexeames wrote:It would be nice if people would grow up and stop whinging about shipping costs
I think most people would stop complaining about price of Zero shipping if they could buy more of them and/or buy them at their local distributor. Currently one per customer rule at few selected UK/US distributors sadly means:

Friends cannot buy 10 of them together reducing shipping to 1/10

No small local Pi distributor can buy 100 of them and sell them with local shipping - one example - in my country shipping any Pi (or even 20 of them) to me from local e-shop like e.g. rpishop.cz would be 40CZK = 1.15GBP. For you it may be absurdly low, for me this is normal shipping price I expect when getting a Pi. And BTW I still consider myself lucky that I can get single Zero from Pimoroni for 3.4times as much which is a bit expensive but still much better than for people from Spain,Italy etc.

So to sum it up it is not just shipping - it is combination of shipping + 1 per customer limit + very few distributors + expensive or no shipping to many parts of the world.

So in case of Zero It would be nice if RPI Trading would grow up instead ;-) allowing them to ship more Zeros and raising the 1 per customer limit solving all points above.
And then un-solving the problem of some guy getting their first, buying 30k zeros and leaving none for anyone else
I don't think the goal of allowing friends to club together can be achieved easily without letting those who want to order a whole lot for themselves slip through.

Overseas resellers should be easier to address: if it were possible for the Raspberry Pi Foundation to take on more distributors, that would be one way to deal with it, although the current 4 resellers may have contractual exclusivity. Alternatively if the existing resellers were in a position to distribute shipments to smaller overseas resellers that might help. E.g. If a reseller in the Czech Republic, Spain or Australia could buy (say) 100 or 500 units, and contractually commit to selling them in quantities of no more than one per customer, that may be viable. (FWIW, I don't think taking on a reseller in Australia would help, as it would still be cheaper for me to buy from the Pi Hut, as their overseas shipping is cheaper than shipping inside Australia...) It would however help if either the Pi Hut or Pimoroni could distribute to countries they currently don't ship to via resellers. I'm just not sure if the logistics of striking up a contractual relationship and then the actual distribution are feasible.

CarlRJ

Tue May 17, 2016 11:08 pm

fanoush wrote:
They're limiting purchase quantities while supplies are limited. If they didn't, some folks would buy up tons of them and then you'd be complaining that they weren't available at all. Their goal is to get them into the hands of as many people as possible. That is at odds with making bulk purchases easy, when demand so far outstrips supply. It would be nice if you grew up and stopped taking potshots at a group that: a) is doing very nice things, b) is not profiteering off the scarcity of those things (they could easily triple the price for a while and still sell every one they make), and c) doesn't owe you anything. There is not much margin - for the foundation or for the stores - on a $5 computer. That's why the stores are pushing the bundles, so they're not losing money selling these.

With the way they've increased production now, just give it a few months for supply to catch up with supply, and these restrictions will likely lift. With no need for questioning their maturity.

exartemarte

Tue May 17, 2016 11:22 pm

CarlRJ wrote:...They're limiting purchase quantities while supplies are limited. If they didn't, some folks would buy up tons of them and then you'd be complaining that they weren't available at all...
Or, probably, that they were only available on eBay at a huge mark-up.

theHetman

Tue May 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Anyone who has done any sort of manufacturing will tell you just how hard it is. Witness all those Kickstarters that are heavily delayed or never get produced. The foundation is producing around 80,000 Pis a week. That's amazing in itself and the fact that they can do it in the UK at such a low price point is doubly amazing. Their first priority has to be supplying their big suppliers (RS and Element 14) with the Pis that they are contracted for. After all, these suppliers are providing the capital to buy all the components to keep the production running. This must be millions of dollars (15 - 25 million by my back of the envelop calculation) and so the Pi Zero, which the foundation is self funding, has to be a lower priority. Also, even if they had the capacity to produce them faster, committing the capital to do so would probably not be very cost effective considering the low margins on the Zero.

They are doing the best that they can and the one per order limit is the least bad option until demand is less of a problem. I suspect that once that limit is raised, the Zero will still sell out quickly with people ordering packs of 5 to reduce postage costs. The foundation has been very clear and provided good information. It's really hard to fault them given the constraints that they are under.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue May 17, 2016 11:35 pm

I have a strange tingling sensation (set off by a flurry of post reports). Time to close this thread. Thanks guys - it's been fun.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”