texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: A picture from The Pi Hut

Mon May 16, 2016 9:44 am

clivem wrote:
texy wrote:
Gavinmc42 wrote: No, the camera adapter cable is £4.
LOL. Yep, £4 for a Pi Zero board, complete with camera connector.... No price rise..... But you want the 20 cent cable to actually connect a camera to it and that will double the price to £8! Seriously, £4 for that 15cm "cable"....
Its the PiZero being cheap that makes the camera cable 'look' expensive.....

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 am

hippy wrote:
"There are roughly 30,000 new Zeros out there today, and we’ll be making thousands more each day until demand is met."
That is quite disappointing given it was said a 250K order was placed over a month ago with predicted delivery within two to three weeks.

I thought that 250K order and a ramping up towards 50K per month was meant to alleviate the problems we have seen since its launch, bring buying multiples closer, but it seems it is simply more of the same.

If the 30K today are shared equally between the four distributors that is just 7,500 each. It also suggests 150 per box in the pallet shot earlier. I hadn't imagined it would be that low.

As for a CSI connector; that does nothing for me, but if it helps satisfy those wanting to use it in HAB or as a cheap webcam and it generates income from sales of camera units and cables then fair enough. I imagine it will also increase Zero sales which will put more short term pressure on availability.
I'd heard 250k were being manufactured, not sure where though. I suspect 30k is the first batch, and production is continuing. I'll try and find out.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

RichardUK

Mon May 16, 2016 10:37 am

rpdom wrote:
RichardUK wrote:Then it's either 512 ram, maybe they managed to get a better price this time round that equates to no extra cost
What's wrong with the 512MB it already has? Wrong colour? ;)
My bad, for some reason thought it had 256 megs like the A+.

RichardUK

Mon May 16, 2016 10:43 am

Tzarls wrote:Ok, so it´s a camera port.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2885

Who predicted that?
I did, sort off, although I also guessed every single other possibility so doesn't really count. ;) :lol:

Ian B

Mon May 16, 2016 10:44 am

Great addition, got my orders in

Pithagoros

Mon May 16, 2016 11:02 am

Pimoroni just showed out of stock for the first time on the £4 ones. Some might fall back into stock from unchecked out orders, but three hours is good.
Not sure about PiHut, they are still showing add to cart available on the shopify screen.

gordon77

Mon May 16, 2016 11:08 am

Pithagoros wrote:Pimoroni just showed out of stock for the first time on the £4 ones. Some might fall back into stock from unchecked out orders, but three hours is good.
Not sure about PiHut, they are still showing add to cart available on the shopify screen.
I just bought one there, it said they had 1 :D

gordon77

Mon May 16, 2016 11:11 am

gordon77 wrote:Adding the csi socket would be perfect for me :)

Thankyou :D :D

Gavinmc42

Mon May 16, 2016 11:31 am

Adafruit out of stock?
PiHut out of stock?
All the other?

Not sure how long it took, < 3hrs
Selling at 10k/hr?
220k still to come?
Hope orders are in for the next 1M Zero parts.
I bet if had they had 10 packs, would have sold 100k/hr and all 250k would be gone.
1Million sold in a day?

Not interested in starter packs, my apps will be embedded, only really need a SD card.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

karrika

Mon May 16, 2016 11:49 am

I really have to congratulate the foundation for great designs. My dream has been to be able to design anything that could be manufactured in thousand units at a time. So far the largest batch I have ever reached is 2000. You guys make 30000 and sell it out in 3 hours. Amazing.

Pithagoros

Mon May 16, 2016 11:55 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:Adafruit out of stock?
PiHut out of stock?
All the other?

Not sure how long it took, < 3hrs
Selling at 10k/hr?
They haven't sold the 30K units yet.
Can't really tell how many they've sold because we don't know how many were sold as board only.
The ones for sale as part of bundle packs are still in stock and will be for a while.

Gavinmc42

Mon May 16, 2016 11:59 am

Time to start requesting new features for next 250K V1.4 batch?
Is the activity led blue?

How about eMMC memory instead of micro SD?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

TimG

Mon May 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:How about eMMC memory instead of micro SD?
OT (if such a thing is possible in this thread), but my experience with the Beaglebone Black was that eMMC is neither faster nor more-resistant to corruption than SD. The only advantage I see is in avoiding fake or incompatible brands of memory card.

Mandrewpi

Mon May 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Ok now I have got a pi with the new feature. Barely. I have started a summer project putting a pi zero in a game boy and now it's going to have a camera. If only I had waited 2 weeks more to just get the new pi. Oh well, I guess I'm going to have some extra pi to build something with. Now I just need my job to start back and I'll have money to buy more pi's. :D :D
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

osid

Mon May 16, 2016 2:31 pm

What can I say...?

For an italian, it's a sad image, because, at the moment, buying only a Pi Zero in Italy is no sense.
All stores ship only by international courier.
Why paying between 10 and 20 GBP for shipping a 4 GBP item? :|

Mandrewpi

Mon May 16, 2016 2:47 pm

I live in the US and shipping costs as much as a single pi zero. I got the essentials kit from the pi hut so I'm sure it costs more to ship than just the zero.

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.

Mandrewpi

Mon May 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:Time to start requesting new features for next 250K V1.4 batch?
Is the activity led blue?

How about eMMC memory instead of micro SD?
They should replace the run header with an audio output. The run header is not really necessary due to the simple process of unplugging the power and plugging it back in.

I own:

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 16, 2016 3:06 pm

osid wrote:What can I say...?

For an italian, it's a sad image, because, at the moment, buying only a Pi Zero in Italy is no sense.
All stores ship only by international courier.
Why paying between 10 and 20 GBP for shipping a 4 GBP item? :|
OK - so think its a £20 item, and your paying only £4 shipping ;)

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

mikronauts

Mon May 16, 2016 3:10 pm

How long will it take Asian vendors to start selling $1-$2 new camera cables on ebay etc?

Anyone want to start a poll?

p.s.

I was one of the many people predicting a CSI connector :)
texy wrote:
Gavinmc42 wrote:Eben has said they will be making them to the end of time.
Camera cable is extra $20 :D
No, the camera adapter cable is £4.

Texy
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

mikerr

Mon May 16, 2016 3:18 pm

thepihut have some more in stock again now.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon May 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Sorry folks: while we've been able to make enormous changes in the way pricing in the computer industry works, doing the same for the way international mail works is kind of outside our ambit. :roll:

If you've ever bought anything small from overseas, you should be used to the way the prices work. For heaven's sake: I just bought an antique glass figurine the size of a ping-pong ball to complete a collection. It's coming from the USA, and I have to pay $35 shipping for it. The fact that that figurine didn't cost $5 is beside the point: that's what it costs to send it tracked, and I expect to pay something for the packing and materials. The postage would be the same if it was an actual ping-pong ball.

So can we cool it with the whinging about postage costs? They are what they are. And we WILL close this thread if it descends into more of this stuff.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

jamesh

Mon May 16, 2016 3:32 pm

jamesh wrote:
hippy wrote:
"There are roughly 30,000 new Zeros out there today, and we’ll be making thousands more each day until demand is met."
That is quite disappointing given it was said a 250K order was placed over a month ago with predicted delivery within two to three weeks.

I thought that 250K order and a ramping up towards 50K per month was meant to alleviate the problems we have seen since its launch, bring buying multiples closer, but it seems it is simply more of the same.

If the 30K today are shared equally between the four distributors that is just 7,500 each. It also suggests 150 per box in the pallet shot earlier. I hadn't imagined it would be that low.

As for a CSI connector; that does nothing for me, but if it helps satisfy those wanting to use it in HAB or as a cheap webcam and it generates income from sales of camera units and cables then fair enough. I imagine it will also increase Zero sales which will put more short term pressure on availability.
I'd heard 250k were being manufactured, not sure where though. I suspect 30k is the first batch, and production is continuing. I'll try and find out.
OK, not allowed to discuss specific figures for commercial reasons (which I heartily agree with), but there is ongoing production that should feed the frenzy. So hopefully no large gaps in production like we have seen since the Zero was first launched.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mikronauts

Mon May 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Very glad to hear that.

Based on what I see so far, once the new zero is readily available in qutantity, and there are more cost effective camera cables, I can see Mikronauts potentially ordering hundreds (to thousands) of units per year.
jamesh wrote: OK, not allowed to discuss specific figures for commercial reasons (which I heartily agree with), but there is ongoing production that should feed the frenzy. So hopefully no large gaps in production like we have seen since the Zero was first launched.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

stderr

Mon May 16, 2016 3:57 pm

jamesh wrote: ongoing production that should feed the frenzy.
It's like holding back the Euphrates with a tea cup.

liz

Mon May 16, 2016 4:09 pm

Pimoroni were reporting a Zero sale every three seconds this morning. And Jamie from The Pi Hut has been posting TERRIFYING pictures of post bags to Vine. This was the state of play after about four hours of sales: https://vine.co/v/i0iebWu7rpI
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”