texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: My RaspPi is coming in the mail...

Fri May 13, 2016 2:35 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
EimGhey wrote:Is there a 128 gig card compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3 I can get... Otherwise I am just getting the compatible 64 gig card I found on amazon!
Do yourself a favor and use only a 16Gb card. You'll save money, and you'll have less issues. Many folks have had issues even running the 32Gb cards.

Seriously, all you need is 16Gb.
Seriously all you need is 8Gb, prior to Jessie 4Gb would of been totally suitable as well.
The larger you get, the more space you need for backup (using a direct image back-up method anyway).

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

EimGhey

Fri May 13, 2016 2:47 pm

texy wrote:
MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
EimGhey wrote:Is there a 128 gig card compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3 I can get... Otherwise I am just getting the compatible 64 gig card I found on amazon!
Do yourself a favor and use only a 16Gb card. You'll save money, and you'll have less issues. Many folks have had issues even running the 32Gb cards.

Seriously, all you need is 16Gb.
Seriously all you need is 8Gb, prior to Jessie 4Gb would of been totally suitable as well.
The larger you get, the more space you need for backup (using a direct image back-up method anyway).

Texy
I am getting powerful Laptop also for my birthday... I am sure I can backup 32gigs....

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Power and storage ability are totally unrelated ;)

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):

EimGhey

Fri May 13, 2016 3:25 pm

texy wrote:Power and storage ability are totally unrelated ;)

Texy
Sorry but still I am not going any lower... Tell me about what how to get the right cable to connect my monitor to me Pi....

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 13, 2016 4:11 pm

We need to know your monitor connections before that can be advised.
Texy

EimGhey

Fri May 13, 2016 9:02 pm

It is a Dell and it says Rev AO1 on the back...

kusti8

Fri May 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Take a picture of the back and post it or look online on how to identify what the ports are.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

tweak42

Fri May 13, 2016 11:46 pm

EimGhey wrote:It is a Dell and it says Rev AO1 on the back...
There should be a model number on there somewhere in fine print. Ideally snap a legible picture with a cellphone and google numbers till you find which is the model number. The ports should be referenced on the Dell website specs.

Or you can google pictures of HDMI, DVI, and VGA ports to try and figure out what your monitor has.

EimGhey

Sat May 14, 2016 12:48 am

I just discovered my TV has the right connection and I have multiple cables for it...

squakie

Sat May 14, 2016 7:39 am

Somethings depend on what you actually want to do with the Pi. Just general purpose things like internet, email, maybe some LibreOffice things? As a media center with something like OpenElec?

There are a few basic things that are a requirement, not a wish list:

- a GOOD power supply. If you are getting/have the official one you should be fine. Lower cost and/or lower output supplies will cause instability - and things like everything just looking like it drifts off to nowhere or constant rebooting, failure, reboot, well you get the idea.

- you cannot put too much of a load on the Pi's USB ports. You would be much better off getting an A/C powered USB hub for much more than just basic things.

- as already mentioned a GOOD video cable. If it all possible connect using HDMI to a HDMI enabled device.

- a keyboard is a *MUST* when you first boot (although Jessie on my latest Pi 3 seemed to go straight to the GUI). Similarly a mouse is pretty much a must.

- as weird as it sounds, the size of the SD/MicroSD card doesn't have to be real large. If you plan on adding a lot of extra software packages or having a large amount of data you may want something a little larger, but an 8 or 16 gb card really is way more than enough to install the OS and run things.

Other things to consider:

- with the powered USB hub you can connect other devices via USB, such as the flash drives mentioned in an earlier post, but also external hard disks. I currently have a self-powered 4tb, a self-powered 1tb and a USB powered 1tb drive connected via a powered USB hub. This also allows putting everything but the bare minimum to load the OS on a hard disk - much faster. You still have to have a SD/MicroSD card to actually load the image, but everything else can be on the hard disk. There is a free script on Adafruit's site you can download that makes this extremely simple for the newbie or casual user.

- if it's not a Pi 3 you will need a wireless adapter if you want to connect to a wireless network where you live.

- you don't have access to a wireless network but do have either a local router or perhaps full-house wired networking you will also need a network cable

On a personal note it's just the little bit of stuff I use, I have a Pi 2 model B that I run as a server with a total of 6 tb of external hard disk connected via a powered USB hub and a direct connect to a router port, a Pi 2 I use as a media center using OpenELEC and getting all the media files from the server. That Pi is also connected directly to the router so the speed would be best for accessing the media files. I have a Pi 2 model B running OpenELEC in another room that is connected wirelessly to the server to access the media files. I have various other Pi 2 model B's and a couple of Pi 3 model B's that I am currently just experimenting with. One of the Pi 3's is connect to an external self-powered disk drive so I can try to test its performance as a simple general usage PC. So far I'm quite impressed that it handles the internet well (I use Iceweasle - a Firefox like browser for Raspian), does LibreOffice tasks great so far and for simple games like some of the card games it works quite well also. I'm not a gamer, so I don't know how it would for such things. As just a desktop PC for someone like my elderly parents who get online to check the net, look at news stories, use Facebook, etc., use LibreOffice Writer and Calc and play mainly card games it could be just the ticket for them in place of their laptop. I'm experimenting a little with one of the older Pi's to use a cheap censor to detect when my cat enters the litter box, sets a timer for roughly 2 minutes, then trips a relay to release air freshener (silly simple project but fun!).

To summarize, there are some basic things you really do need just to get things set up. After that it just depends on what you want to do with the Pi. After initial setup the Pi can run headless - no keyboard, mouse or display - and can be accessed via SSH client, such as ExtraPutty, from another PC. I manage my server that way and also have a few extra SMB shares set up so that the various PC's in the house can back up their data, retrieve or restore data, directly from the server. There is 1 Linux box in the mix, the rest are all Windows PC's that are running Windows 10 now. The shares for backups, etc, can be accessed directly from file manager in Windows. This is also how I move new media files to the server - just using file manager.

Don't be overwhelmed and don't hurry. Don' worry about making a few mistakes along the way and needing to reload the OS raw image to the SD/MicroSD card and starting over. If what you have access to right now (I understand - I'm on disability now) is a 32gb SD/MicroSD card (which also depends on the model of Pi you are using) then just go ahead and use it. Make sure the 1st thing you do after installation is go to the menu and run the raspberry pi configuration tool. You will want to expand the file system first - otherwise it won't see that 32gb anyway. Then you can set localization things - country, time zone, etc., set up for allowing SSH access, etc..

Don't be afraid to ask questions. These things are very simple once you've done them, but just about everyone has their own versions of "dumb questions" ;) ;)

Hope things go great for you!

Dave :)

R37R0

Sat May 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Wireless keyboard and mouse are fine, I currently use a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set with the dongle plugged into my various pis and it works without needing any additional drivers

EimGhey

Sat May 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Will it work with a TV?

kusti8

Sat May 14, 2016 7:59 pm

EimGhey wrote:Will it work with a TV?
The Pi? Why not?

EimGhey

Sat May 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Good now do you know were I can get a cheap keyboard if dad doesn't have USB compatible one...

kusti8

Sat May 14, 2016 8:34 pm

EimGhey wrote:Good now do you know were I can get a cheap keyboard if dad doesn't have USB compatible one...
The local computer store or dollar store? Just search USB keyboard on Amazon. You don't need a special one.

EimGhey

Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 pm

http://www.walmart.com/ip/40487403?revi ... 28&veh=sem

I have given up trying to boycott Walmart so I think I should buy this!

DougieLawson

Sat May 14, 2016 8:44 pm

EimGhey wrote:http://www.walmart.com/ip/40487403?revi ... 28&veh=sem

I have given up trying to boycott Walmart so I think I should buy this!
Cheap enough so should be perfect, except it's an American layout so "£$@' & # will move until you fix up the configuration.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

EimGhey

Sat May 14, 2016 9:16 pm

"£$@' & # will move.... What? :|

Dis93

Sat May 14, 2016 9:53 pm

EimGhey wrote:"£$@' & # will move.... What? :|
The Raspberry Pi default keyboard layout is British.. you will want the American layout .. those symbols will be on different keys to the Pi default..change the Localisation settings when you first set up.

EimGhey

Sat May 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Dis93 wrote:
EimGhey wrote:"£$@' & # will move.... What? :|
The Raspberry Pi default keyboard layout is British.. you will want the American layout .. those symbols will be on different keys to the Pi default..change the Localisation settings when you first set up.
Oh I thought he meant something like that,,,

EimGhey

Sat May 14, 2016 10:04 pm

I am getting this to learn how to program by the so it doesn't matter if things are complicated.. But Pi is British.. I thought they were only good at Fish and Chips...

davidcoton

Sat May 14, 2016 10:27 pm

EimGhey wrote:I am getting this to learn how to program by the so it doesn't matter if things are complicated.. But Pi is British.. I thought they were only good at Fish and Chips...
We are. The Pi is made of chips.
Signature retired

squakie

Mon May 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Any USB keyboard and mouse should work. A few posts back someone mentioned a wireless keyboard and mouse - that is what I have always used with mine. You can use the cheapest you can find. I've actually seen wired keyboard and mouse combos at one the national electronics chains for the same $6 or even less. I would first check your local resale shops - such as Goodwill, etc., and see if they have any keyboards and/or mice if you are physically able to. They usually have some really cheap.

As far as the default British keyboard goes, when you run raspi-config (don't remember the exact spelling) from the menus to expand the file system as I mentioned earlier, there are other options available there - one of those is localization where you set your time zone, country, etc. - you will want to do this. In addition there is an option for keyboard - you want to change that from English British to English American or U.S. - don't remember off the top of my head. That will take care of the keyboard. If you don't do that you will get the aforementioned characters - such as the British pound symbol in place of the # symbol.

BTW - if it's not a Pi 3 you will need a wireless adapter to connect to a wireless network. There are some really inexpensive ones available that work fine. I believe the one from Adafruit works without needing to add an additional driver. I've also gotten some $5 ones off EBay that actually worked fine. I am in a Seniors Apartment complex so they work fine for my needs (2 bedroom walls to get to one in my larger bedroom). However, I don't know the sensitivity so I have no idea on the real distance they can carry - probably not very much given the $5 price tag.

EimGhey

Mon May 16, 2016 11:07 pm

It is Pi 3 and I have found a good mouse and keyboard for under twenty if I go to Walmart.. It may not be the honorable choice but it is the cheap choice! :twisted:

tweak42

Tue May 17, 2016 3:09 am

EimGhey wrote:It is Pi 3 and I have found a good mouse and keyboard for under twenty if I go to Walmart.. It may not be the honorable choice but it is the cheap choice! :twisted:
If you live in a major city, hitting up yard sales, thrift shops, and other 2nd hand stores, or even craigslist will find you cheap keyboards and mice, and quite often spare cables.

Return to “General discussion”