tpraveen28

reliability of machine

Thu May 12, 2016 9:02 am

We are planning to use the Raspberry pi 3 for an industrial application for 24 x 7.Is there is any heating issue due to continuous usage of the Raspberry pi that may cause fire ...?????

Heater

Re: reliability of machine

Thu May 12, 2016 10:56 am

It's an electronic device that draws a not insignificant amount of power as such always capable of producing a fire.

Recently I had an SD card get dangerously hot and start smoking, after months of trouble free us. Certainly a fire hazard if there is any dust or other flammable materials around.

Many will say that a Pi 3 should have a heat sink and perhaps even a fan.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu May 12, 2016 12:46 pm

The SD card thing's interesting; it's always a problem with the SD card, not the Pi. What brand were you using? We see that happen with fakes (the "too good to be true" eBay deals which, sadly, were!) for the most part.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

MarkTF

Thu May 12, 2016 12:47 pm

The probability of an event like Heater describes is probably very remote, but mitigating the potential consequences by putting the Pi in a fire resistant (metal) enclosure like any other industrial electronic device would be prudent. In normal continuous operation, a Pi should be well below 100 C.

Heater

Thu May 12, 2016 2:30 pm

liz,

Yes, I'm sure it was an issue with the SD card. That Pi has been working well ever since with it's new card.

I thought all the cards I have been juggling on various ARM boards at work and home for ages were Transcend form our local PC super store. Looking at that one after the fire it seemed not to be. I have no idea what it was or where it came from.

liz

Thu May 12, 2016 3:26 pm

I must get jdb to upload a picture of the fake SD card he bought on holiday once; the packaging's a marvel of obfuscation.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”